Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3073783)   #1
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
low on fuel

having not enough fuel to complete the slow down lap after pole! does not count.

i seem to recall a certain dark blue car! not finish a gp recently after no fuel.
plus a few others!

has there been a rule change!
Old 13 May 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3073797)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For races, the rule is not there.
Old 13 May 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3073862)   #3
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaddockrunner View Post
having not enough fuel to complete the slow down lap after pole! does not count.

i seem to recall a certain dark blue car! not finish a gp recently after no fuel.
plus a few others!

has there been a rule change!
What's with all the misplaced exclamation marks?
Old 13 May 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3073883)   #4
boyracer019
Rookie

boyracer019 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rule about having sufficient fuel on board for testing (1ltr IIRC) applies to qualification and NOT to racing

This is why you MUST return to the pits / parc ferme after qualification and not after the race itself
Old 13 May 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3074034)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Not the first time Lewis's McLaren has done this. Ran out of fuel on the in lap at Canada the other year too.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3074303)   #6
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had enough fuel for testing, but not enough to drive back to pits which you have to do after qualy but not after the race. Apparently they actually had 1.3L but they had a problem meaning they weren't sure exactly how much fuel was left so they parked it rather than risk not having enough to test. Knowing what they do now I imagine they wouldn't have stopped.

Cant see a good reason for the difference tbh.
Old 14 May 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3074304)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I agree on that part.

I think they should look at the rules and make sure drivers have enough fuel to make it back to the pits in the race, too.

Selby
Old 14 May 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3074403)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
He had enough fuel for testing, but not enough to drive back to pits which you have to do after qualy but not after the race. Apparently they actually had 1.3L but they had a problem meaning they weren't sure exactly how much fuel was left so they parked it rather than risk not having enough to test. Knowing what they do now I imagine they wouldn't have stopped.
If HAM had kept going 1.3L might not even have been enough to get him back to the pits.

Whitmarsh is now saying with hindsight he should have told HAM to abort his last flying lap and return to the pits. Then he would have had enough fuel, been able to go to Parc Fermé and start from whatever position his first run time would have put him.
Old 14 May 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3074432)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
If HAM had kept going 1.3L might not even have been enough to get him back to the pits.

Whitmarsh is now saying with hindsight he should have told HAM to abort his last flying lap and return to the pits. Then he would have had enough fuel, been able to go to Parc Fermé and start from whatever position his first run time would have put him.
Yep, hindsight is a wonderful thing (if you could sell it in bottles you'd make a fortune!).