Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2015, 20:44 (Ref:3561396)   #51
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Verstappen too was rather lucky.
If the safety car was released *after* the tail end caught up (as should have been the purpose, I think), he would have been 13th instead of 5th after his penalty.

Last edited by gert; 26 Jul 2015 at 20:51.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3561402)   #52
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Verstappen too was rather lucky.
If the safety car was released *after* the tail end caught up (as should have been the purpose, I think), he would have been 13th instead of 5th after his penalty.
the fact that he was behind the leaders was not luck, that was because he did better than the cars behind him
Old 26 Jul 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3561403)   #53
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
the fact that he was behind the leaders was not luck, that was because he did better than the cars behind him
The fact that the others (Sainz, Alonso, Button, both Lotus, both Saubers, ...) were unable to catch up after the Safety car was his luck.
That has nothing to do with ability or skill.

If they would have, he would have been behind all of them after his penalty.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3561413)   #54
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Grosjean has been given 2 points on his licence for an unsafe release. I think this is very unfair on the driver as he was only following instructions and has no way of knowing how safe his release is until he is out of his pit box. I think the punishment should be on the team not the driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120123
Old 26 Jul 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3561415)   #55
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where Grosjean has been given 2 points on his licence for an unsafe release. I think this is very unfair on the driver as he was only following instructions and has no way of knowing how safe his release is until he is out of his pit box. I think the punishment should be on the team not the driver.

I agree.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 00:29 (Ref:3561459)   #56
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

We have also had instances of people driving down the pit lane banging wheels that have not been penalised, it was ruled that there were in fact 2 lanes; wrong imo; but, how was this different?

Another agreed!
Old 27 Jul 2015, 00:35 (Ref:3561466)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting to Adrian Newey back with Red Bull for the race. His presence seemed to make a difference.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3561486)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuliandred View Post
The only mistake of Rosberg was not to chose the option tires for the last stint. The rest and maybe the championship was destroyed by the harakiri posterboy. When there are so many penalties I cant udnerstand why he was not penalized. The worst thing is that he calls his divebomb "clean" until the moment he cuts Rosbergs tire #justmaldonadothings oh wait that wasn't him this time...
Please watch that again, Ricciardo sailed past Britney without hitting him, and when Britney tried to squeeze Ricciardo to stop him doing under/over trick, Britney hit Ricciarco himself, while Ricciarco's wheels were straight, and he was already on the track verge.

Britney took himself out, no further action required.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 03:03 (Ref:3561504)   #59
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's how I saw it. DR dove up the inside, over cooked it a bit but stayed on the track. Rosberg drove through on the normal line, tried to squeeze DR on the exit. DR didn't give in. Romberg ended up with a flat and DR with no nose.

Seemed to me that the Mercs were trying this all race (season). As soon as someone was on the outside of them on a corner, they would try and intimidate them into going wide or backing off. In two cases DR didn't back off and the Mercs ended up suffering.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3561508)   #60
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hamilton should have had at least 3 drive throughs for flat out driving people off the track and Bottas should have one as well for hitting DR in turn 1.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 05:32 (Ref:3561535)   #61
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
The fact that the others (Sainz, Alonso, Button, both Lotus, both Saubers, ...) were unable to catch up after the Safety car was his luck.
That has nothing to do with ability or skill.

If they would have, he would have been behind all of them after his penalty.

no, that had to do with track position the fact that he was behind the leaders and those others where not had nothing to do with luck but with the fact that he was faster than the cars behind him and a good strategy.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 07:53 (Ref:3561578)   #62
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that drivers have apparently become so accustomed to DRS and boring stretched out races that they forgot how to properly and cleanly have wheel to wheel battles when the field is more even. Apparently they forgot about race craft and leaving each other room on the track. Perhaps too used to DRS-ing their way past others instead of people fighting back to keep their position. Quite telling.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3561587)   #63
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Funny that drivers have apparently become so accustomed to DRS and boring stretched out races that they forgot how to properly and cleanly have wheel to wheel battles when the field is more even. Apparently they forgot about race craft and leaving each other room on the track. Perhaps too used to DRS-ing their way past others instead of people fighting back to keep their position. Quite telling.
Maldonado does it every race, and Hamilton does it more often than I'd like too, blisteringly fast out on his own but in close quarters a bit unpredictable...
Old 27 Jul 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3561597)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Three reasons why the "Safety Car free pass" rule is wrong

1) it's unfair on the driver who's put cars between him and the next guy. It's bad enough he's lost all that time due to the SC
2) is it really right for a driver to gain a lap like that? You can crawl around at the back and hope for a safety car. Hardly Kyalami 82, where Prost came from a lap behind to win
3) it keeps the SC out longer than necessary

They did the right thing getting rid of it in 2010, so I don't know why they bought it back in 2012.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3561600)   #65
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Hamilton should have had at least 3 drive throughs for flat out driving people off the track and Bottas should have one as well for hitting DR in turn 1.
You were watching the race in Hungary, weren't you?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 09:17 (Ref:3561604)   #66
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
You were watching the race in Hungary, weren't you?
Yes. He was penalised for driving Ricciardo off the track, correctly.

He wasn't penalised for running Bottas off the track after he came out of the pits.

He did it another time, and it is NOT allowed in the rules, you MUST give racing room.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 09:31 (Ref:3561606)   #67
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coln72 View Post
Seemed to me that the Mercs were trying this all race (season). As soon as someone was on the outside of them on a corner, they would try and intimidate them into going wide or backing off. In two cases DR didn't back off and the Mercs ended up suffering.
I agree. It seems as though the Mercedes drivers have decided that it is now their championship, so the other cars should give them room and allow them to race each other.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 10:50 (Ref:3561629)   #68
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
no, that had to do with track position the fact that he was behind the leaders and those others where not had nothing to do with luck but with the fact that he was faster than the cars behind him and a good strategy.
The luck part is that they didn't wait for the lapped cars to queue up, which they normally do.

Sainz was just behind Verstappen on the road when the Safety car came. The only difference was that Sainz was lapped (just), and Verstappen not yet.

After the Safety car, Verstappen had half a lap advantage on Sainz, Alonso, Button, and the others.
That is not strategy or racing skill, but good luck for Verstappen or bad luck for the others.

And that luck part proved crucial, because he could take a free penalty without losing places to all those others.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 09:01 (Ref:3561905)   #69
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
These were quite interesting Fastest Laps of the Hungarian GP

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/07/2...-pace-for-win/
Old 28 Jul 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3561981)   #70
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Please watch that again, Ricciardo sailed past Britney without hitting him, and when Britney tried to squeeze Ricciardo to stop him doing under/over trick, Britney hit Ricciarco himself, while Ricciarco's wheels were straight, and he was already on the track verge.

Britney took himself out, no further action required.
It was definitely a racing incident and I realize you're a homer, but Ricciardo over cooked the corner. If that happened on the street, I'm afraid Daniel would walk away with a ticket.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 00:20 (Ref:3562061)   #71
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It was definitely a racing incident and I realize you're a homer, but Ricciardo over cooked the corner. If that happened on the street, I'm afraid Daniel would walk away with a ticket.
There's no doubt he did, but he didn't hit anybody or even go close to hitting anybody.

The point where contact was made was well past this, both cars had regained control, and the contact was entirely caused by Rosberg.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3562077)   #72
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
There's no doubt he did, but he didn't hit anybody or even go close to hitting anybody.

The point where contact was made was well past this, both cars had regained control, and the contact was entirely caused by Rosberg.
I would say that Ricciardo caused an avoidable contact, Rosberg had re-taken Dani and could not have possibly known he was there, the contact was Ricciardo's choice, he drove into a closing gap and nobody could say that he was anywhere near alongside Rosberg; front wheel in middle of the Mercedes; prior to the contact.

Last edited by wnut; 29 Jul 2015 at 01:44.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3562079)   #73
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would say that Ricciardo caused an avoidable contact, Rosberg had re-taken Dani and could not have possibly known he was there, the contact was Ricciardo's choice, he drove into a closing gap and nobody could say that he was anywhere near alongside Rosberg; front wheel in middle of the Mercedes; prior to the contact.
Sorry you need to watch the in car vision from Ricciardo car, you are totally wrong. Ricciardo was on the track verge and Rosberg squeezed him and cut his tyre.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 02:29 (Ref:3562082)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

Watch it here, it is VERY clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTN1A0W7tM
Old 29 Jul 2015, 02:51 (Ref:3562087)   #75
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was clumsy on both parts.

Daniel came from waaaay back and just threw it in. It was a little bit ridiculous, and Nico actually took avoiding action entering the corner to avoid Daniel. It could have been an entry incident if not for this.

This is Daniel's party trick though, so he actually managed to gather it up and get the thing turned in. I think this surprised Nico who was taking the ideal line through the corner, not expecting Daniel to be exiting the corner so quickly.

The first mistake was Daniels. One could argue Nico should have left racing room, however I genuinely don't think he thought Daniel would be there, and we know Nico wouldn't have been able to see Daniel from the angle he was approaching.

At the end of the day, some level of fault lay with both parties, be it differing levels depending on how you view it. But, both parties were punished, Nico a little more so than Daniel (through the damage incurred).