Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Jan 2006, 03:34 (Ref:1498314)   #1
concetta
Rookie

concetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 GP? Yak !!!

sorry men, but I don't like this category. Why? Because I don't understand this championship. It's nice graphic of cars, it's nice original period, it's very nice circuits of calendar, but I can't believe that some driver like Tenji Jang (China) go on 5th place in 1 race. Why? I had seen Jang in F.Renault Italia ... disaster !!! And now in 1 year later speedy of Verstappen ???? Oh come on ....
I don't like the fact that every race team change his driver ...
You wanna other unknown person of the list? Khalil Beshir, Basil Shaaban, Adam Khan; Luis Diaz ...
please this is simply autocrash
I'm wrong ????
Old 10 Jan 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1498375)   #2
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, you're wrong! Have to actually seen a race? Jang had a great drive in Dubai where all his competitors were throwing the cars all over the place. For once, he stayed out of trouble, had a solid drive and reaped the rewards.

The idea is to have a car per country, and a driver from that country. OK, some of them aren't up to the standard of other World Series like F1, but we've seen some rubbish ( but well backed / rich ) drivers there too. Some of the "minor" countries should be commended for actually trying, and they'll only learn with practice.

Currently, A1GP is the best single seater motorsport i've seen on TV in probably 15 years....!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1498430)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nobody criticises the Rugby World Cup (for example) because some of the teams aren't as good as the others, and nobody compains when the theoretically-inferior teams do well. Over time the standard from some of the smaller countries will improve - youngsters from those coutnries are more likely to become interested in racing and perhaps take it up if they can see their own people competing. This is a brand new concept for motor racing, but I think it will be huge over time.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1498433)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta
Got it in one. You mention F Renault Italia, well doesn't that have a lot of unknowns too? A1 GP is nation Vs. nation, there are bound to be unknown drivers.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1498498)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And now in 1 year later speedy of Verstappen ???? Oh come on ....
Perhaps that's a reflection on the real ability of Jos the Boss...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1498583)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 10 Jan 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1498598)   #7
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is brilliant and will prove over time to be a good thing for motorsport as a whole.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1498599)   #8
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I ment A1gp not the hairy cow, which I'm not sure about
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1498634)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Pull the udder one.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1498741)   #10
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
sorry men, but I don't like this category.
I have to agree with you. Awful category with some very poor drivers who wouldn't get a look in in practically any single seater class you care to mention.

The number of crashes is just disgraceful plus the number of driver infringements at each race is hard to believe which allows complete novices such as the Chinese Driver to get a 5th! How often does that happen in F1? Almost never!

It's interesting that the number of posts in the A1GP category has literally collapsed in the last month or two right in the middle of the season. Is this the sign of things to come in the series?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1498744)   #11
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could watch it I could say a bit more. but I think A1 GP is a great concept, but needs more publicity.

and why is there a hairy cow in this thread?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1498749)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
It's interesting that the number of posts in the A1GP category has literally collapsed in the last month or two right in the middle of the season. Is this the sign of things to come in the series?
There haven't been any races in the last month or so...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1498756)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's a great championship.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1498801)   #14
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats like saying jordan didnt deserve to win spa '98... or fisi at interlagos '03... (also saying that even the great TGF is prone to crash sometimes...)

its all apart of motorsport...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1498808)   #15
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only saw Brands, but it was great entertainment - and that's what motorsport really needs justnow IMO
Old 10 Jan 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1498880)   #16
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic

Currently, A1GP is the best single seater motorsport i've seen on TV in probably 15 years....!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't understand the critical posts on this thread.
This series provides sensationally close racing with overtaking and action in abundance. Anyone who has actually watched the races surely couldnot argue with that!

Who cares whether there are differing abilities!!

And as for saying that the series must be a waste of time because the posts on this A1GP forum have dried up over the last month when there have been no races. PATHETIC!!!!!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1498895)   #17
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really like A1 gp too!!!
i went to brands and it was amazing, i saw more succesful, clean, ballsy overtaking moves in sepang, dubai, estoril and Eastern creek than in the last 5 years of F1!!! its amazing.

And the chinese driver, ok uve seen him in f.r.italia but maybe hes improved, there hasnt been a race since hes finished 5th so whos not to say hes not on an upward trend?

And if you hate this formula your entitled to your opinion, but hating this is the hating of overtaking itself
Old 10 Jan 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1498919)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf

YAK ???

Horrible thing innit?

Good thing he didn't write: yew !
Old 10 Jan 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1498924)   #19
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only watched one A1GP race, the Brands Hatch one, and it was average I;d say. No better than GP2. But Brands isn't exactly a track that encourages overtaking, and I've heard that it's been excellent ever since then. The concept is good, and you are always going to get some below-par drivers in an international racing series.

Only complaint is that in this country A1GP is not broadcasted on terrestrial TV. Which is a pity!
Old 11 Jan 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1499013)   #20
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You wanna other unknown person of the list? Khalil Beshir, Basil Shaaban, Adam Khan; Luis Diaz ...
Well, who the hell do you expect to represent countries such as Lebanon and Pakistan??? It's the nature of a "World Cup" that some teams will be weaker than others - in this case some countries like China and Lebanon will not have the luxury of having many experienced drivers to choose from. What's wrong with these less experienced "underdogs" having the chance to occasionally upstage countries with a long motorsport heritage?

A1 GP is something refreshing and new, doesn't compete with other series for drivers/sponsors/teams as it runs in the traditional off-season, and produces some great racing. As in any series (GP2, World Series by Renault etc) there is a range of driver abilities, but only a moron wouldn't recognise the talent in the field - GP2 frontrunners Premat, Lapierre, Speed, Jani; British F3 champions Piquet (also a GP2 winner), Kerr and Parente; ex-F3000 frontrunners Enge and Toccacelo... etc etc.

As for mbathshah, it's painfully obvious forum posting will drop when the series has a break of a month and a half!
Old 11 Jan 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1499023)   #21
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, A1GP gets a vote for from me. Interesting idea, good TV highlight package, timely (as in the quiet withdrawl period) and promotes young drivers AND technicians.

My only gripe is that quite a few teams are using the same professional source for car maintenance/setup and it shows in the results... But then I'm torn from it being an "grassroots" level event where everyone is new and finding thier way or actually being a case of the best in the world competiting against each other (ala get Ferrari to field an Italian team Fisi driving etc...)
Old 11 Jan 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1499029)   #22
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA
My only gripe is that quite a few teams are using the same professional source for car maintenance/setup and it shows in the results...
Indeed; that's why I have respect for teams like Malaysia and China making a big effort to use mechanics and team members from their own country, rather then relying on a Carlin or DAMS to do all the work.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 04:34 (Ref:1499050)   #23
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love A1, but this is the first time i was dissapointed by A1gp. They shouldnt have postponed the indonesian race. Postponing makes it seem like a personal event rather than a global one.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1499098)   #24
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
YAK ???

Horrible thing innit?

Good thing he didn't write: yew !
I thought it was a 'Red Bull'
Agree about the Indonisian postponment.The Dubai 24hr race which starts tomorrow is apparently still on,so it must be a personal thing.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1499147)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the race had beens cheduled for last weekend it would have been understandable, but after such a long wait for the series to ge tunderway you can't cancel races for reasons like this. I know the Sheikh has invested a lot of money into setting the championship up, but he's riskign the long-term prosperity by cancelling races for this type of reason.

Still, who do I expect to represent Pakistan? A Pakistani, rather than a half-Pakistani Englishman.