Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 24 Nov 2015, 09:34 (Ref:3592950)   #51
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
^ If GP2 is such a lottery, and the talent doesn't come through, how come Vandoorne bossed it this year? If it's random how come we don't see a driver like, say Negrao getting the odd podium?
Vandoorne's bossed it because he's in the best car this year (since the Dams drivers don't seem to be able make the tyres last). Negrao doesn't come through, because Arden aren't that fast, and of course he isn't all that. Of course Vandoorne is probably still the best driver in Gp2, but he wouldn't be winning the title in the Arden.

chunterer's right even though it's supposed to be spec, there are big differences between the teams which kind of sucks because the drivers get judged without taking into account the team they're in. Will Marciello even be in Gp2 next year? He's had 2 seasons in mid-field performing cars and is now forgotten about.

ART has always been good, but they don't help themselves with the Japanese pay drivers (Matsushita, Izawa), Calado was overhyped because he was British, Gutiérrez was hopeless for a long time in F1, Abt is nothing special and was lucky to land in that seat - his 2012 GP3 campaign (again in the fastest car) he only just scraped into 2nd in the points at the last minute after a season of mostly average.

Before that, ART was owning it with Maldonado, Hulk, Bianchi, Bird.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:15 (Ref:3592961)   #52
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it also relies a lot on the maturity of the driver.

Sometimes teenagers struggles to cope with their lack of experience of life, limited english level and the understanding of informations.

We have to remember that for example that Ollie Rowland struggled a lot in 2012 mentally due to various reason making that he was not fit enough, gaining weight.....

Raffaelle Marciello also struggled to cope with its own environnement as he decided to shut down his twitter account. Trident and Racing engineering are not bad car but we have to remember that since 2012 or 2013, drivers have all to speak in english in their radio communications, i guess it is not an easy thing to speak in English when it is not your native language at 170 mph or 150 heart rate. When i see Fuoco speaking in english i may understand why he struggles at Carlin, his level of english is quite awful with a lack of vocabulary.

Vandoorne is now 23 , settled in life and having shitload of talent and a great team.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 11:24 (Ref:3592974)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Talented drivers will always get recognised for it even if they don't make it to the very top.

But I really do think GP2 would be much better off taking away a lot of the complexities and let the drivers race so can see who's who again like in the early years of GP2.

Tyre deg management is important so perhaps both races should involve tyre changes.

And have a qualy for both races rather than reverse 8....

Although based on the current regs those in the top 2-4 teams would always be at the front and no one else would stand a chance, bit like F3.5.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3593035)   #54
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Pascal Wehrlein open to race in GP2 if there is no seat in F1.
http://en.f1i.com/news/34742-wehrlei...s-through.html
Old 25 Nov 2015, 01:42 (Ref:3593146)   #55
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Japanese pay drivers (Matsushita, Izawa),
Matsushita is a pay driver in the same way that Vandoorne is a McLaren pay driver and Bianchi was a Ferrari pay driver...

I think you're being a bit harsh on Matsushita. It's his first year out of Japanese F3 (not like coming in from FR3.5 or GP3) and he's placed 9th despite not having much luck this season. He was on course for solid points in the Silverstone and Monza feature races when he retired with mechanical failures and who knows how it would have played out at Spa if Rowland didn't move across on him in turn 1. A feature race retirement ruins the entire weekend, so the potential points lost are substantial.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3593292)   #56
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a laugh reading about Italians and their language problems. I remember one young lad straight out of Brazil who spoke next to no English but was amazing as a driver. Two seasons later i see him doing an interview with proper English while oh course still being a champion. His name was Nasr he apparently had proper management but also the will to work on the non driving part which of course sooner or later becomes vital. So sorry but if Ferrari Academy or their drivers dont get it then they get exactly what they deserve. Incidentally the same true for Evans, he and his management choose poorly teams so...
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3594735)   #57
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting names here Wehrlein with Prema ....

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/N...-1-entry-list/
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3594740)   #58
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Cheese

Sean Gelael at Campos Racing? The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3594743)   #59
LavidaLoca
Racer

Rosenqvist will also be testing with Status
Old 1 Dec 2015, 14:50 (Ref:3594752)   #60
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
Rosenqvist will also be testing with Status
He was already a Status driver in Macau GP, wasn't he?

Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time-rich and cash-poor.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 17:06 (Ref:3594798)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
Some interesting names here Wehrlein with Prema ....

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/N...-1-entry-list/
The Prema line up is interesting, yes, but an awful lot of seat swapping for the regulars it seems.

Lets hope Rowland goes better than he did last weekend with Status. Awful run that was. Lack of circuit knowledge?

How many of that lot will we realistically see in the series full time next year?
Old 1 Dec 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3594859)   #62
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see Yelloly and Ellinas back.
Old 2 Dec 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3594963)   #63
LavidaLoca
Racer

Evans and Gelael at Campos for 2016

http://www.motorsport.com/gp2/news/e...-campaign/?s=1
Old 2 Dec 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3595076)   #64
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportdotcom
Russian Time has yet to settle on a replacement for Campos-bound Evans.
Ellinas! Ellinas! Ellinas! Please please please Ellinas!
Old 3 Dec 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3595296)   #65
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could be. Anyway Tio is testing for Trident tomorrow
Old 3 Dec 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3595324)   #66
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Latifi very solid job in first 2 days.

Rowland went well for ART but struggled a bit with Prema, as did Wehrlein!
Old 18 Dec 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3598620)   #67
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
TR Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DAMS confirm Lynn and Latifi for 2016:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122293
Old 18 Dec 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3598634)   #68
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Motorsport View Post
DAMS confirm Lynn and Latifi for 2016:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122293
We'll get to see how good Latifi s now then? I thought he was rough but promising in F3 but largely anonymous in 3.5.

It helps that he has a strong budget but I don't think he's a slouch by any means.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3598635)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Gasly losing part or all of his Red Bull backing?

Guessing at least the same fate will befall Stone man.
Old 18 Dec 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3598647)   #70
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Gasly losing part or all of his Red Bull backing?

Guessing at least the same fate will befall Stone man.
Red Bull had to cut the budget of whole Red Bull Junior Team due to the mamoth new F1 deal 100 million euros lost.

But Gasly remains in Red Bull Junior Team and in Gp2.

It was known for quite a while that he would leave Dams.

Herr Marko is ow working the cheapest deal possible now for its drivers.

Being honest placing 2 drivers at Motopark in F3 is quite a hint that Red Bull has no longer money flowing as before.

But hey they have Max Verstappen in F1.

Last edited by Rf1 Fan; 18 Dec 2015 at 19:34.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3598996)   #71
LavidaLoca
Racer

Regarding RedBull Junior, IMHO it will be a bad calculation to try to rise theirs kids on a cheap way. I guess Gasly leaving Dams is already a big mistake as next year Gasly will have to confirm his performance and he will have to be in a competitive team.

Honestly i would rate ART Grand Prix, Dams and maybe Prema (but they will have to learn this coming year) as competitive.

Regarding motorpark you have to be fair with them as they did a decent job in its return year.
Old 20 Dec 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3598998)   #72
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Stoneman and Ilott have been pushed out of Red Bull Junior Team.
No Red Bull money for Ghiotto.
http://www.italiaracing.net/newsint.aspx?id=57756&cat=1
Old 20 Dec 2015, 21:34 (Ref:3599007)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't tell through all the sulking in that article, but what's the story with ghiotto and red bull?

have they stopped funding 100% of their junior drivers budgets now too?
Old 20 Dec 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3599013)   #74
LavidaLoca
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i can't tell through all the sulking in that article, but what's the story with ghiotto and red bull?

have they stopped funding 100% of their junior drivers budgets now too?
Ghiotto was meant to be Redbull driver junior team in 2016 , but Helmut Marko changed his mind , so that leave Ghiotto without backing to step up to GP2 that is what this article says.

On the other side, from what i heard RedBull was never funding 100% of the budget , Gasly was looking for budget while racing at Dams.

From what i understand also with RedBull is that they allow drivers to be supported by them but without being really involved in the Junior Team , for exemple with David Beckmann (Mucke Fia F3 in 2016) will be RedBull Athlete but seems like he will not be part of the Junior Team
Old 21 Dec 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3599141)   #75
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks, was struggling to seperate the angry typing from the hot air and facts it's so odd to see a driver airing his dirty laundry in the media like that.

i've always been of the impression that red bull don't have a single approach when it comes to junior drivers and their budgets, especially for the chosen ones. whilst really it's none of the public's business how a driver pays his bills, it is really interesting to hear individual circumstances and deals when the info is out there, especially nowadays when the money drivers bring to teams in f1 is so visible. i think it's a good dose of reality for the fans too.