Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:43 (Ref:649576)   #1
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is happening to Toyota.

I’ve just been reading an article on the Toyota team, I am a fan but am I alone here in thinking that it has been the same old story all the way through the season so far?
Panis and da Matta are both, to my mind, a couple of quality drivers who have failed to shine at all this year mainly due to what is an abysmal lack of quality in the cars. A couple of times, such as when they got their fuel pick up problem sorted and then again when they managed to get their suspension right a couple of races ago, I thought this is it, they will take off now and really get into the points, but it never seems to happen.
Now I read that Panis is really optimistic and expectant in France because …
The track is smooth!
Eh?
What the…
Oh come on!!!
http://www.panasonic-europe.com/rac...index_frame.asp
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:46 (Ref:649583)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When a driver comes to run in his homeland is bound to be optimistic, in order to pick up the interest of the media; i'm sure he's the first to know what a disaster Toyota are this year, but he certainly can't say that now!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 12:57 (Ref:649602)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are clauses in their contracts for that...
Old 2 Jul 2003, 13:06 (Ref:649619)   #4
Cobra
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
When a driver comes to run in his homeland is bound to be optimistic, in order to pick up the interest of the media; i'm sure he's the first to know what a disaster Toyota are this year, but he certainly can't say that now!
I understand what you are saying about his homeland, on the other hand the way he spoke before Canada you would have thought that that was his homeland, and he has won there as well.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 13:10 (Ref:649623)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ahh, the good old PR lines......
Old 2 Jul 2003, 13:11 (Ref:649626)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: What is happening to Toyota.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
I’ve just been reading an article on the Toyota team, I am a fan but am I alone here in thinking that it has been the same old story all the way through the season so far?[/url]
What is happening to Toyota?
Not a lot.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 13:31 (Ref:649649)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Re: What is happening to Toyota.

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
What is happening to Toyota?
Not a lot.
...or money waste ?
Old 2 Jul 2003, 13:38 (Ref:649659)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They said pre-season that they would make a big jump. Well, they've done that alright. Pity it's backwards.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:19 (Ref:649716)   #9
Cobra
Racer

The PR lines
They have not done a lot
They've wasted money
and yes the jump they made was backwards
But why???
They've got the talent, they've got the money and in everything but F1 they've got as near total reliability as any other manufacturer in the world.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:26 (Ref:649725)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It's never easy for a team made from scratch, to get well in its early years. Even with money and sctructure, they need experience, and this only comes with years of struggling, picking up the right persons and a consistent development.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:29 (Ref:649733)   #11
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Toyota is finding F1 a lot harder gig than they thought.
Look at BAR. All high hopes and having a hard time.
Give Toyota a little more time and they'll be up there.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:42 (Ref:649743)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cobra,panis is mentioning the smooth track because toyota obviously have an aero sensitivity problem.This is a common theme these days-mostly bought on by designs that incorporate such things as the high nose/splitter/twin keel at the front.These design breakthroughs at first give easy improvements (witness tyrell '89 and sauber '02(?))but are hard to get the most out of when taken to the limit.That's why the big teams tend to have less problems-they can test so much to minimise problems and optimise setup
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:50 (Ref:649754)   #13
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, all things considered. F1 is a damn hard business. Even if you have a lot of money, which as we all know, runs the sport, you still need a lot of know how and knowledge of what is going on.

Building a team from complete scratch is a HUGE effort, and i think Toyota have been very modest and not overly confident in their success. As BAR was. A team who were "simply" converted from another team.

If they have made a mistake, its that they are based in Germany. If anywhere, it would be Japan, but more suitably, GB would be better.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 15:19 (Ref:649779)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Bonomi's assessment, the team just needs time to gel, and constant hiring and firing is not the way. Money is not always the key to success, and the high figures being invested i the aim of achieving success just make the team look more embarassing.

The Toyota CART engines may've be ultra-reliable by 2002, and this year's IRL engines are as well, but they strggled for reliability for years. Their units arguably cost Montoya a seocnd title in 2000 CART, it's a shame Chip Ganassi took the Toyota bag of gold isntead of the Honda competitiveness.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 15:28 (Ref:649784)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panis says he thinks the team can end up fifth in the title chase. So obviously they have high hopes.