Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3013712)   #1
turbo tim
Rookie

turbo tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hans v's stand 21

just looking for opinions, would you choose one over the other. the stand 21 is a bit cheaper, is it worth paying the extra for a schroth? thanks in advance.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3013717)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What prices are Stand21 compared to HANS? I'd go for the cheapest if it feels the same.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3013720)   #3
turbo tim
Rookie

turbo tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What prices are Stand21 compared to HANS? I'd go for the cheapest if it feels the same.
50 pound in the difference
Old 18 Jan 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3013747)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're all the same under licence AFAIK. HANS is an American company that holds the patents, they allow S21 and Scroth to make to their designs so it's the market deciding the price.

At least that's my understanding.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3014012)   #5
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the look of the Stand21 flip ups, particularly if using 3" shoulder straps. The Schroth style, whilst more expensive, seems to work great with 3" straps, and the SlipStop material does help even if the belts don't have the corresponding surface.

However, it may be that the flip ups encourage the 3" webbing to stay on the device, in which case there's very little in it.

The sliding tethers (standard fitment these days?) is important though.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3014145)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
I don't like the look of the Stand21 flip ups, particularly if using 3" shoulder straps. The Schroth style, whilst more expensive, seems to work great with 3" straps, and the SlipStop material does help even if the belts don't have the corresponding surface.

However, it may be that the flip ups encourage the 3" webbing to stay on the device, in which case there's very little in it.

The sliding tethers (standard fitment these days?) is important though.
Tristan, I have the Stand 21 with flip ups and much prefer it, even with 3 inch belts its never been a problem - I don't trust the "slip stop" material. I just don't think that anything can stp something slipping if there's the amount of force on it that a shunt might give, except a physical barrier... like a flip up. At the time I bought mine the S21 was the dearer one, too.

I believe that the the Stand 21 is the licenced version of the HANS device and that the Schroth one is a copy (FIA standard but I believe that there may be a licence issue; I can't prove that but I have a recollection of reading that somewhere or Stand 21 telling me!).
Old 19 Jan 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3014190)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I recently saw that JJC have a Stand21 hans at under 300 quid, getting a bit more sensible price-wise at last.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3014195)   #8
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day both Stand 21 and Stroth make genuine HANS approved and licenced virsions which have FIA and MSA approval. (Both are listed as suppliers on HANSs own site)

There are differances between how they retain the belts from sliding off of the forks - but the best solution we find is to use a large regardless of neck size as the forks are then closely matched to most belt widths and this prevents any movement. (HANS conformed this makes no change to effectiveness)

They both use slightly different shaping behind the neck and head - so really try one and see if it is comfortable (with some pressure on it) if it is, buy it!

Dont think the small difference in price is any sign that one is better or worse, but as Tristan said, sliding tethers make a great improvement to driver comfort and looking around when in the pits etc.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3014282)   #9
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I recently saw that JJC have a Stand21 hans at under 300 quid, getting a bit more sensible price-wise at last.
I did a cash deal at autosport with JJC and got it £304 all in
Old 20 Jan 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3014350)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypipe View Post
I did a cash deal at autosport with JJC and got it £304 all in
now that IS a very good price - as you probably realised I should have said 'just under 300 but then plus the VAT'
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3014498)   #11
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
now that IS a very good price - as you probably realised I should have said 'just under 300 but then plus the VAT'
It's amazing what you can do when you show a pound note to people
Old 22 Jan 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3015227)   #12
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked into this for some time , bought the Stand21 version & im very happy with it
Old 23 Jan 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3015709)   #13
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£300-£330 is about par for the course for a 'club' HANS - That is an injection moulded one rather than a full carbon weave.

The moulded ones weigh about 1200g and cost £330 ish, and the full carbon 'pro' (Stroth) or Advanced (S21) are about 750g but cost about £820+ for Stroth and £760+ (S21). Unless you are an instructer, frequent user or drive a high G single seater the cheaper does the same job perfectly well! So glad they have widened the range a bit now to make it accesable!
Old 23 Jan 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3015798)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
£300-£330 is about par for the course for a 'club' HANS - That is an injection moulded one rather than a full carbon weave.

The moulded ones weigh about 1200g and cost £330 ish, and the full carbon 'pro' (Stroth) or Advanced (S21) are about 750g but cost about £820+ for Stroth and £760+ (S21). Unless you are an instructer, frequent user or drive a high G single seater the cheaper does the same job perfectly well! So glad they have widened the range a bit now to make it accesable!
Yes, years ago I remember a HANS discussion on here and I asked why they couldn't be made of plastic, but the engineers amongst the posters said it couldn't be done, only carbon fibre was good enough. Glad there's a Clubman's alternative now, makes the cost/benefit ratio come out on the side of safety.

BTW, did everyone realise there are two FIA standards, and the certificates on the HANS and the helmet have to match up? I don't know the numbers and I've never heard of one being thrown out, and given they aren't compulsory in the UK they shouldn't be but beware.