Old 28 Feb 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2838110)   #1
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
RussBohaty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your Racing Fitness and Nutrition Questions Answered Here

Hey everyone. My name is Russ Bohaty. I am the personal trainer for Travis Rilat of Sprint Car, NASCAR's Kasey Kahne, and the Kasey Kahne Race team. I have been a trainer for over 2 decades. I am originally from Minnesota and currently live outside of Dallas, Texas. I am new to computers, but I think it is an exciting tool.

My goal is to meet as many racers as possible and share what I know. A resource like this forum allows me to more easily do that. Feel free to ask me any questions on mental and physical preparation for peak performance on the track. I'll do my best to answer your questions fully and completely. I'll try to check in here daily and answer you promptly.

Best to everyone.

Here's to winning!

Russ

Last edited by MagnetON; 8 Mar 2011 at 21:07. Reason: Note to moderators: This post has been pre-approved.
Old 2 Mar 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2839114)   #2
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quick, small but very effective nutrition tip

If you look at the NASCAR circuit and really any pro circuit these days the number of lean athletes far outnumbers the portly ones. A thinner fitter driver has the essential physical strength and stamina to power through when it is winning time.

If your goal is to lose some extra weight to improve your health and to start performing better on the track, try this: eat all, or most all your food from the outer aisles of the super market rather than the interior numbered aisles. So start eating more real food. More meats, chicken, fish, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, nuts. Eat less frozen dinners, canned or boxed foods.

Try it for a week. You will be amazed at the results all around.

Best,

Russ
Old 2 Mar 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2839320)   #3
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Russ, welcome to the forum.

Even though I race in a club series, what I did learn from my first time out is you need to condition yourself in the best possible way. I have since worked on my cario ie running 5k and 10k, hill sprints as well as muscle endurance excercises for the arms, shoulders as well as neck and core stability training. Even though I dont race or test often, I think having the mental capacity to concetrate rather than worrying about getting tired is very important... helps keep the fat off too!

In the last 3 year I have also worked on my nutrition, I avoid junk food now, but tend to have 1 cheat day every couple of weeks. Porridge for breakfast with water and some honey!

MMA requires great fitness.. one man who seems to do well is this guy here....

Last edited by RF_Racer; 2 Mar 2011 at 22:30.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2840220)   #4
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post

Even though I race in a club series, what I did learn from my first time out is you need to condition yourself in the best possible way. I have since worked on my cario ie running 5k and 10k, hill sprints as well as muscle endurance excercises for the arms, shoulders as well as neck and core stability training. Even though I dont race or test often, I think having the mental capacity to concetrate rather than worrying about getting tired is very important... helps keep the fat off too!

In the last 3 year I have also worked on my nutrition, I avoid junk food now, but tend to have 1 cheat day every couple of weeks. Porridge for breakfast with water and some honey!

MMA requires great fitness.. one man who seems to do well is this guy here....

Hi RF,

Great post and keep up the great work. You make a great point about being in good shape with rigorous exercise: it speeds up the mind and gives the person a confidence. This is a great mental edge. Kasey and I talk about the importance of knowing you are more prepared than your opponents. It is so critical.

Your cheating still ain't bad. You are a great example for us all in staying dedicated. I believe in the athleticism of racers and I believe that they are true athletes with special needs that should be focused on to maximize success.

Have you checked out my free workout excerpts on the racers workout site to see if there is anything you want add to your regimen?

Russ
Old 5 Mar 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2840749)   #5
RF_Racer
Veteran

Russ, send me details of your site, I will be very interested to look at it. Im always open to new work outs and excercises.

You right about the mental edge that comes with fitness. I have found that as I have increased my fitness levels I can keep my breating controlled and that in turn improves concentration. You can slow things down in your mind regardless of how fast they are happening on the track.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2840814)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For a few seconds I thought that was a picture of Jr.

Then I saw he had boxing type gloves on, not driving gloves.

Sorry. My mistake!

Hi Russ - great to see someone of your calibre on here. Say hi to Kasey for me (my wife's a fan!), and before I retire, I'm determined to do some Stockcar racing in the 'States. One of my engine builders keeps trying to get me over to Knoxville TN, to have a tryout in a dirt late model! I'd rather go along to Bristol!!

I already eat pretty healthy - being from the British countryside and a farming family, I can't bring myself to eat junk. I have found that a good diet of foods that complement your need for power and long-term energy is the way to go, that means a good diet of proteins, with the right kind of carbs (Pasta is good!). As for the mental strength, there are a number of things I've found to sharpen the mind - some of these "games" for the Nintendo DS like Brain training, and Sight Training, really sharpen up your concentration, and teach to to see, rather than just look!

I don't exercise "on purpose" - I have an active job, and my other recreation involves my horses. 2-3hours a few times a week (in the better weather!) in the saddle keep you in reasonable trim! And you need quick reactions because horses can be very unpredictable - just like racecars!

Any hints and tips are always welcome.

Rob.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2841137)   #7
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
Russ, send me details of your site, I will be very interested to look at it. Im always open to new work outs and excercises.

You right about the mental edge that comes with fitness. I have found that as I have increased my fitness levels I can keep my breating controlled and that in turn improves concentration. You can slow things down in your mind regardless of how fast they are happening on the track.
RF,

You can become a free subscriber to the pre-release videos at http://racersworkout.com You'll get access to some sample workouts. Sprint's Travis Rilat is my workout client in video 2. Pretty neat. I know you will want the program when you are done. It is too good a deal with two much value not to try. But I am biased.

Your comment about the mental benefits of fitness and how it contributes to steadiness on the track, were spot on. I couldn't have said it better myself.

What kind of racing are you into?

Russ
Old 6 Mar 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2841143)   #8
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post

Sorry. My mistake!

Hi Russ - great to see someone of your calibre on here. Say hi to Kasey for me (my wife's a fan!), and before I retire, I'm determined to do some Stockcar racing in the 'States. One of my engine builders keeps trying to get me over to Knoxville TN, to have a tryout in a dirt late model! I'd rather go along to Bristol!!

I already eat pretty healthy - being from the British countryside and a farming family, I can't bring myself to eat junk. I have found that a good diet of foods that complement your need for power and long-term energy is the way to go, that means a good diet of proteins, with the right kind of carbs (Pasta is good!). As for the mental strength, there are a number of things I've found to sharpen the mind - some of these "games" for the Nintendo DS like Brain training, and Sight Training, really sharpen up your concentration, and teach to to see, rather than just look!

I don't exercise "on purpose" - I have an active job, and my other recreation involves my horses. 2-3hours a few times a week (in the better weather!) in the saddle keep you in reasonable trim! And you need quick reactions because horses can be very unpredictable - just like racecars!

Rob.

Good to hear from you Rob. Always cool to hear from folks overseas. There are some intense knowledgeable fans around the world that would give the US fans a run for their money. If you end up coming to Knoxville, let me know and I can maybe find some neat places for your team to eat at.

That was a zinger right across Dale Jr.'s bow. It seems like he is on the receiving end of barbs pretty often. He's a guy that I root for to do well because I know how important he is to the majority of fans. He is good for the sport. Him being in the hunt every week is great for the sport. At least in my opinion.

Regarding your question on supplementing your very active lifestyle: First it sounds like you are doing very good as it is. I do see a possible hole in not getting your heart rate to upper exertion levels. Not certain from how you described things. Think about the difference between your heart rate doing steady continuous semi rigorous farm work and what it feels like when you are forced to do that work extra fast. That extra fast high intensity state is important. Basically you want to reach a higher level of intensity each time you exercise, if only for a very short period. That is good for a person and really builds muscle endurance.

Another area that is an emphasis of Racers Workout that many of our "country strong" outdoors type clients miss, is stretching. It is not something we grow up doing unless we are in organized athletics where we are forced to. It is something I always recommend as a regular part of a total health regimen. Hold your stretches for a ten count and breath normally, on an exhale extend the stretch a little further each time. Don't push it. Rather breathe through it. If you feel discomfort, back off, but keep breathing normally.

You will notice improved performance in all activities including racing, if you keep at stretching the way I teach it.

Great hearing from you and keep the questions and comments coming.

Russ
Old 6 Mar 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2841167)   #9
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post

Sorry. My mistake!

Rob.
I doubt he would fit in a race car, would be funny seeing him if he was a race car driver. Who is the fattest pro race car driver? One must exist who breaks the trend surely.

Slow release carbs such as porridge oats/oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potato release the glucose into your blood stream at a much slower rate than fast release carbs and prevents a surge in energy levels followed by the slump. As for proteins eggs have the best biological value, whey protein is the fastest to be absorbed. At the end of the day a balanced diet is the key, also ensuring your electrolytes are topped up prior to the race.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2841169)   #10
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBohaty View Post
RF,

You can become a free subscriber to the pre-release videos at http://racersworkout.com You'll get access to some sample workouts. Sprint's Travis Rilat is my workout client in video 2. Pretty neat. I know you will want the program when you are done. It is too good a deal with two much value not to try. But I am biased.

Your comment about the mental benefits of fitness and how it contributes to steadiness on the track, were spot on. I couldn't have said it better myself.

What kind of racing are you into?

Russ
Cool, will check it out. I race single seaters at club level, as per my avatar but have recently bought a Kart which is good to practice and improve overal skills and race fitness.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2841513)   #11
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
Cool, will check it out. I race single seaters at club level, as per my avatar but have recently bought a Kart which is good to practice and improve overal skills and race fitness.
I couldn't agree more RF. My program will take you physically, mentally and even spiritually to the next level. I think even the folks that aren't ultra competitive will get a greater enjoyment from the sport which will translate into more success which will is enjoyable and the cycle continues....
Old 7 Mar 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2841517)   #12
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
I doubt he would fit in a race car, would be funny seeing him if he was a race car driver. Who is the fattest pro race car driver? One must exist who breaks the trend surely.

Slow release carbs such as porridge oats/oatmeal, whole grains, sweet potato release the glucose into your blood stream at a much slower rate than fast release carbs and prevents a surge in energy levels followed by the slump. As for proteins eggs have the best biological value, whey protein is the fastest to be absorbed. At the end of the day a balanced diet is the key, also ensuring your electrolytes are topped up prior to the race.
Eggs are the all around best thing someone can eat if they are on workout program IMO. Thanks for bringing that up.

I think on fattest driver it is hard to say. Mostly because I see these guys all the time. lol

But the fitness emphasis has made that a tougher and tougher call. We saw it again yesterday with Carl Edwards achieving victory. I'd consider him in the Mark Martin school of being ultra diligent about fitness.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2842316)   #13
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Opportunities for improved fitness in unconventional places

I am big on working hard at core strength. Your core is basically your muscles extending from your chest to your upper thighs. They are super important for racing stamina and also important to maintain durability long term.

Back problems late in life are as much a product of a weak core than anything. A person with a weak core, will be more likely to compensate with his back while working or lifting.

When you are couching it watching the race on a week-end, you can really go after strengthening that core. During the commercials, commit to going to the floor and work on straightening your legs with your arms straight over your head and holding for a 5 count. Maintain normal breathing and never hold your breath.

Do this on your stomach and on your back. On your tummy you are like Superman, on your back you are like you are doing a backstroke in a pool. Great core strengthening exercise. Over time try to hold for a 6 count, then 7 and so on.

Try and let me know what you think.

Russ
Old 10 Mar 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2843611)   #14
RF_Racer
Veteran

Add to that the Plank and side Plank excercises which works the deep core muscles and improves core strength and stability. There are many varients, but start with the basic once, facing down, on your elbows and toes, holding that position for 30 secs x 3 sets as well as the side planks on each side.

The V sit which improves strength on the transverse ab muscles and is one of my favorites.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2843723)   #15
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
Add to that the Plank and side Plank excercises which works the deep core muscles and improves core strength and stability. There are many varients, but start with the basic once, facing down, on your elbows and toes, holding that position for 30 secs x 3 sets as well as the side planks on each side.

The V sit which improves strength on the transverse ab muscles and is one of my favorites.
Absolutely. Glad you brought that up RF. For a variation to really go after that stomach, add a short pulse where you pulse your core down about 3 to 6 inches and up. The up and down pulse action should be quick. You can do the same with your hands holding you up like you are in the high push up position. This is known as "high plank". Do 10 of each after RF's 30 second holds. Damn it really goes after things in an area that too often gets neglected.

These are simple but very effective exercises to build total core endurance and keep you from having back pain later on.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2843726)   #16
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Article about the Fitness movement in NASCAR, by me

One of the things that I've had to get used to is more writing. This is one I wanted to share with the Racers out there. Basically it talks about how Fitness became mainstream in Racing. I am glad to see it. Tell me what you think.

It was published on a blog called Home Workouts Guide and was originally written last August. I hope you all enjoy it. Russ

Yesterday I had the opportunity to enjoy the Carquest Race at Michigan International Speedway in Michigan. My client NASCAR champion Kasey Kahne was the pole sitter and with him on the bubble in the shakeout of who will make the Chase, I knew that the race carried great weight for his season. The area that is my focus as Kasey’s personal trainer is to help him handle the physicality of the driving act for the 3 plus hours that is required. Until fairly recently, fitness and auto racing were not thought of as necessarily going together. The image of the good old boy who roles out of bed and jumps behind the wheel after a night of partying and heavy eating and races his tail off to victory is a quaint notion.

The fact is, many of your top drivers at the highest level like NASCAR, Indy, Outlaw as well as your motocross, have fitness regimens that rival athletes in the major sports such as football. The idea hit the mainstream in 2005 when popular medical correspondent for CNN Dr. Sonjay Gupta ran a special on the extreme conditions endured by NASCAR drivers during a typical competitive ride. One observer noted to Dr. Gupta that the experience is like sitting in a sauna cranked up to over 100 for 3 hours with a roll of nickles grasped firmly in each hand. He came away more than impressed by the physical and mental demands of competitive racing. The profile looked at Rusty Wallace and Carl Edwards who was a newcomer at the time, and the athleticism required to compete in NASCAR. As the money and competitive pressure of large corporate sponsorship of teams has grown, so did the desire to look for whatever edge that could be found.

It all actually predated 2005 and might have found it’s origins with the leadership of the great Dale Earnhardt. #3 was possibly NASCAR’s most popular driver ever and when he reached his 40s, he became a convert to fitness in preparing for races. He seemed to get better with age. Guys saw Dale do something and figured they had to keep up. What has ensued is nothing less than an arms race for every competitive advantage, meaning that guys train longer, harder and with more professional guidance than they ever have before. I have more recently taken the best of the best from my training of elite race car drivers and created “The Racers Workout” which aims to share the physical and mental exercises that make the difference in the drivers seat.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2843959)   #17
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
What the stars of NASCAR are saying about fitness

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/feat...ton/index.html

I love reading stuff like this.

Russ
Old 12 Mar 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2844676)   #18
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Super post from a Mini Sprint driver on the attributes needed for winning

http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/hom...veracewin.aspx

I know I couldn't put it better than this fella. How to prepare to win. Like Bob Knight says: the will to win is overrated. The will to prepare to win is what matters.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2844687)   #19
RF_Racer
Veteran

I also like reading about human perfomance by way of training, the body is adaptable to what every you throw at it over time you can do things you could not previously. I have also read up on bone modeling, just out of curiosity. If the bone is putunder stress where by it creates micro fractures, its grows back stronger. When a child takes up Karting, at say 6 or 7 years of age, the constant vibrations from the Kart causes micro fracture pretty much all over, more so the rib cage area.. over years they do grow back stronger and their bone density is a lot better compared to someone who just jumped in a race car at say 16 or 17. That is one of the other advantages of starting young, your body grows with the environment.

Look at martial artists, many start as kids, they develop very strong bones in key areas that have been subjected to constant strikes.

This just seems to be a conversation between us.. I guess many are not interested in fitness or nutrition.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2845074)   #20
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
I also like reading about human perfomance by way of training, the body is adaptable to what every you throw at it over time you can do things you could not previously. I have also read up on bone modeling, just out of curiosity. If the bone is putunder stress where by it creates micro fractures, its grows back stronger. When a child takes up Karting, at say 6 or 7 years of age, the constant vibrations from the Kart causes micro fracture pretty much all over, more so the rib cage area.. over years they do grow back stronger and their bone density is a lot better compared to someone who just jumped in a race car at say 16 or 17. That is one of the other advantages of starting young, your body grows with the environment.

Look at martial artists, many start as kids, they develop very strong bones in key areas that have been subjected to constant strikes.

This just seems to be a conversation between us.. I guess many are not interested in fitness or nutrition.

RF,

This is fine by me. Our interactions are extremely valuable. Very interesting concept you bring up. I also notice the power of the mind in shaping physical destiny. How often do you hear of a young kid that from an early age wants to be say an elite basketball player. His parents are smallish, neither over 6-0. Yet he grows up to be 6-5 or even bigger.

Michael Jordan's dad for instance was not a tall man. Yet Jordan was around 6-6. His mind was totally focused on his outcome.

Keep your thoughts coming.

Russ
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2845076)   #21
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
The first Golden Key To Health: Committment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7aK...eature=related

This is the first video in a 5 part series I did for my you tube subscribers. I'll post the rest throughout the week. Want to make sure that I don't get too ahead of myself talking too much about anything but the basics. The basics and mastering them are key to your success on the track. Same with fitness.

Russ
Old 14 Mar 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2845645)   #22
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
2nd Golden Key to Health: Flexibility

Last time we talked about the first Golden Key: Committment. Today we're talking something a lot of our big strong racer types spend their lives totally ignoring: Flexibility.

Don't. It is huge. It is a focus of Racer's Workout and I'll even tell you flat out to consider practicing a little yoga, if only for 10 or 15 minutes once a week. You will be amazed at what a difference it makes in your workout performance and your results on the track. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qJb..._order&list=UL

I want to hear your feed back about how you are doing fitness wise. Lay down some comments and let's work together.

Russ
Old 14 Mar 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2845774)   #23
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBohaty View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7aK...eature=related

This is the first video in a 5 part series I did for my you tube subscribers. I'll post the rest throughout the week. Want to make sure that I don't get too ahead of myself talking too much about anything but the basics. The basics and mastering them are key to your success on the track. Same with fitness.

Russ
I usually warm up by doing some light rowing or the cross trainer.. or sometimes to losen up the muscles on a power plate and then do some jogging.

But a really good way to do a proper cardio is to either use a cross trainer or the treadmill and increase the speed a step every minute and then on teh warm down reduce it 1 step every minute..

If you wake up early enough on the race weekend, you can also run around the track, nothing like getting some cool oxygen into your body!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2846243)   #24
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
Quote:
I usually warm up by doing some light rowing or the cross trainer.. or sometimes to losen up the muscles on a power plate and then do some jogging.

But a really good way to do a proper cardio is to either use a cross trainer or the treadmill and increase the speed a step every minute and then on teh warm down reduce it 1 step every minute..

If you wake up early enough on the race weekend, you can also run around the track, nothing like getting some cool oxygen into your body!
RF,

Do you do the interval type running out doors on the track? Slow, fast, slow, fast? I am a huge proponent of it. Like the treadmill, only outdoors. For better conditioning, I totally agree outdoors is superior. You get the fresh air AND you get more resistance.

Russ
Old 15 Mar 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2846248)   #25
RussBohaty
Advertising Partner
Rookie

United States
Forney, Texas
The 3rd Golden Key to Health: Muscle Strength

Today's 3rd Golden Key to Health is Muscle strength using resistance training. This usually means weights, either machine or free style (dumb bells). Beyond the advantages it brings for people in competitive sports, the more recent studies are numerous that resistance training is valuable for all of us. First, it strengthens bones and muscles which makes us more durable as we age. It also aids in fat burning. It is well known in my field that people who incorporate weight training into their routines are more easily able to maintain a healthy weight and reach their body ideal.

For us Racers, we are more interested in kicking butt. Weight Training is my number 1 tool to change performance. So check out Muscle Strength. The 3rd Golden Key to health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FFib7jv6s&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL