Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3060266)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Motor Sport History DVDs

I wasn't sure whether to post this here on in the "armchair enthusiast" forum, but decided that it would most appeal to those who like nostalgia.
Following a good review in Motor Sport magazine, I purchased a copy of the Totally Archive dvd Motor Sport 1930s-1970s. I paid by Paypal and it arrived the next day.Fascinating stuff, in the mould of the Motor Films Quarterly issues.All old cine-film taken by amateurs without sound - there are some introductions and identification of tracks and events, but it's largely silent.

I missed the commentary of Mrs.Nye's son Douglas, and there were many errors both minor (a Porsche 356 is not a 911) and embarassingly major (film of the 1959 and 1961 le Mans races is mixed up, so that virtually all cars are mis-identified). Notwithstanding this, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, since it contained stuff I've never seen and probably would never have seen if the producers of this effort hadn't collated it.

Really good product for those who like that sort of thing - £12.99 post-free from www.totallyarchive.co.uk..(I have no connection with the company)
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3060624)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
www.totallyarchive.co.uk..(I have no connection with the company)
The URL results in an error.

You need to `end it' after the [.uk]. It should look like this: http://www.totallyarchive.co.uk/
Old 17 Apr 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3060842)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Que? What the mothers is a URL?
I'm afraid I'm a technophobe, I've only just discovered fire.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3060873)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire?
Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3060891)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Que? What the mothers is a URL?
I'm afraid I'm a technophobe, I've only just discovered fire.
Uniform Resource Locator (the entire link) http://www.totallyarchive.co.uk/
Old 17 Apr 2012, 13:15 (Ref:3060921)   #6
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some old stuff on DVD

Fair bit of Group B rally
Touring Car's 1988 (i think)
Group C sportscars
Some Hillclimb stuff

Think i have some other stuff but cant remember what off the top of my head. Obv the footage isnt in HD but its defo good enough to watch.

If anyone wants a copy send me a PM
Old 17 Apr 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3061085)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
You're right nicanary this ought to be in armchair so i'll move it there.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3062791)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Fire?

Yes, Arthur.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3063044)   #9
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, Arthur.

I saw Arthur Brown at a local club when I was a kid and he set fire to the ceiling with his "flaming headpiece" act. Good "turn", though.
Old 7 May 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3070820)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm just impressed that someone knew who I was talking about.......
Old 8 May 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3071112)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm just impressed that someone knew who I was talking about.......

Ahhh, we people of a "certain age".

I was a teenager in the 60s, with eclectic tastes in music.Best act I ever saw, no argument, was Geno Washington and his Ram Jam band.

I also watched Old Slow Hand with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and didn't know who he was. The naivety of youth.
Old 8 May 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3071186)   #12
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I saw Arthur Brown at a local club when I was a kid and he set fire to the ceiling with his "flaming headpiece" act. Good "turn", though.
OK, so here's a question I remember from Mile Read's Radio One breakfast show pop quiz:

When The Crazy World of Arthur Brown performed their single Fire on Top of the Pops, why did the drummer wear a paper bag over his head (and who was he)?

Fortunately, I also remember the answer - Pop trivia, even more time consuming than motorsport!
Old 8 May 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3071208)   #13
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
To all forum members :- apologies for my part in this extraordinary divergence from the original thread intention.

Answer - I have no idea. Was it Dave Lee Travis, who had an embarassing penchant for "joining-in" with whichever band was on stage, whether they liked it or not? Or maybe the drummer owed maintenance to his ex, and claimed he was no longer working.Or it was an advert for a paper-bag manufacturer.

At. Grasping. Straws. Re-arrange into a logical phrase.
Old 8 May 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3071276)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
To all forum members :- apologies for my part in this extraordinary divergence from the original thread intention.

Answer - I have no idea. Was it Dave Lee Travis, who had an embarassing penchant for "joining-in" with whichever band was on stage, whether they liked it or not? Or maybe the drummer owed maintenance to his ex, and claimed he was no longer working.Or it was an advert for a paper-bag manufacturer.

At. Grasping. Straws. Re-arrange into a logical phrase.
A valiant effort, (and I echo your apologies for thread hijack!), but 1968 was little early for DLT on TotP.
I'll post the answer up tomorrow if no-one guesses correctly before-hand.
Old 9 May 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3071699)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, so here's a question I remember from Mile Read's Radio One breakfast show pop quiz:

When The Crazy World of Arthur Brown performed their single Fire on Top of the Pops, why did the drummer wear a paper bag over his head (and who was he)?

Fortunately, I also remember the answer - Pop trivia, even more time consuming than motorsport!
OK, as promised, here's the answer to my question:

The drummer in question was Carl Palmer (later of Atomic Rooster, then Emmerson, Lake & Palmer) and apparently he wore a paper bag over his head so he couldn't be recognised, as he didn't have an Equity card (and you were supposed to have one if you appeared on TV)!

I will now go and write out I must not hijack forum threads and take them so far off topic five-hundred times!
Old 9 May 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3071704)   #16
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK, as promised, here's the answer to my question:

The drummer in question was Carl Palmer (later of Atomic Rooster, then Emmerson, Lake & Palmer) and apparently he wore a paper bag over his head so he couldn't be recognised, as he didn't have an Equity card (and you were supposed to have one if you appeared on TV)!

I will now go and write out I must not hijack forum threads and take them so far off topic five-hundred times!
I don't have a problem with it at all. I rather like it when threads go off on a tangent.Makes life far more interesting.

It does make me wonder about the direction of your life when you both know AND remember such a trivial fact.By the way, your user-name suggests that you had a Viva HB - I learned to drive in one, although it was the standard 1157cc de luxe model.That pampas green colour.
Old 9 May 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3071716)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I don't have a problem with it at all. I rather like it when threads go off on a tangent.Makes life far more interesting.

It does make me wonder about the direction of your life when you both know AND remember such a trivial fact.By the way, your user-name suggests that you had a Viva HB - I learned to drive in one, although it was the standard 1157cc de luxe model.That pampas green colour.
Thanks. I must admit that the 'social side' of the ten-tenths forums are what I find most interesting too.
There is a wealth of knowledge, information and trivia, not all motorsport related that's shared on here, and that's entertaining.

Yes, the earlier parts of my life were very Vauxhall orientated, I suppose I followed in my fathers footsteps as he had a succession of Vauxhall Victors.
I too had an 1157 HB (in white), and changed gearboxes and big-end bearing shells in it on a regular basis.
I upgraded to a double the power Viva GT (known as the HBR in Vauxhall speak - another trivial fact) once my apprentice engineer's wages had risen sufficiently to pay for the insurance (and fuel!)
Old 9 May 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3071757)   #18
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I've just realised that my previous post contained what appeared to be an oxymoron. A "standard" "de luxe" model.

Back in those days, when you could easily understand a manufacturer's model range, it was commonplace for all cars to be crowned with unlikely nomenclature.(Ohhh, ain't I posh!). You had the de luxe, which was basic, the super, which maybe had a glovebox and an extra interior light, and the super de luxe, which had wheeltrims and overriders.

Kids today don't know they're born.No radios 'til the Hino Contessa came along.No heaters, sometimes.

When I look at the complicated model ranges today, like M-B, I wonder how they can justify the development costs and tooling, just to fill another niche market. As well as the trim levels above, all you got was saloon, estate and sometimes convertible.End of.
Old 17 May 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3075905)   #19
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try these : www.motorracingdvds.com