Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 31 Dec 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2097250)   #1
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans Device

Does any one know where I can get a hans device from with out paying silly money?

I've tryed the GPR and Demon Tweeks but I'm looking at over 500 pound for it!

I'll try any idears!

Regards Stuart
Old 31 Dec 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2097253)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
They are silly money, there is no escape unless you buy second hand but that's not the sort of equipment I would buy second hand.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2097433)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thing before you part with you're hard earned,check that you're seat IS compatible with one.
Alternative is a neck brace.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2097465)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart, if you can buy a new one for 500, do it. That will be the cheapest you can get them.
All retailers (have to) sell them for about the same price, the silly things are far too expensive; but that has been talked about already too often here.

Second hand, like falcemob writes, I would never do. But if you and an equal sized friend can buy one for the both of you, go for that option.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2097470)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart

You have PM.
Old 1 Jan 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2097570)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H
Does any one know where I can get a hans device from with out paying silly money?

I've tryed the GPR and Demon Tweeks but I'm looking at over 500 pound for it!

I'll try any idears!

Regards Stuart
When I bought mine it was more like £1000.00 so if its £500.00 its a bargain. You'll need a compatible helmet too.

As Terry says the seat must work with it too.
Old 2 Jan 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2098088)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,
how do you know if the seat is compatible ?
Old 2 Jan 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2098097)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are going for a new seat it will be acvertised as such,if the seat is an older version,chances are it will not be suitable.The compatible seats are usualy the most expensive.Why do you need to go to Hans,there are several neck support collars available that will do a pretty good job,plus ,unlike a Hans,will give you're neck/head support during cornering/braking and acceleration.

Last edited by terence; 2 Jan 2008 at 15:44.
Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2098107)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Why do you need to go to Hans,
Because F1 and BTCC drivers use them and they look cool.
Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2098115)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
well if that's the best neck safety device Formula 1 can come up with, then it's good enough for me :-)

I've got a Corbeau Revolution seat and I use a neck collar. I would buy a Hans but cost is an issue at the moment especially needing to upgrade or update my helmet. If I went back to single seaters I would definately want a Hans.

Andy.
Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2098117)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Fairy nuff, But dont forget the Hans is only to stop you're head going forward in a Big Shunt.
Old 2 Jan 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2098134)   #12
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
true, hopefully my seat will stop my head from moving sideways too much.

my OMP neck collar has a tendancy to spin around, so by the end of a race it could be backwards or sideways
Old 2 Jan 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2098160)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy, a Corbeau Revolution seat wasn't made yet for Hans, but as it has the same dimensions as a Sparco Touring VTR (also non Hans) you should be able to drive with a Hans without being uncomfy (all depending on your size obviously).
The "being compatible" is that the new(er) seats are a bit more straight in upper part of the back to give room for the system. Plus they will have bigger holes for the belts as well. That is about it.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2098621)   #14
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
hmm ok, thanks for that.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2099775)   #15
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Fairy nuff, But dont forget the Hans is only to stop you're head going forward in a Big Shunt.
Or to the side.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2099808)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope its really a longitudinal function. This is whay some say it isn't worth it for historic/club racing. I have one because the slightest incapacity will cost me a lot of money.

The Hans restraints serve to restrict twisting but that is a side effect (pardon the pun). The Leatt Brace is a sideways and vertical protection but as I understand it it isn't yet homologated by the FIA.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2099866)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Exactly Peter,why would you need side restraint in an F1 car when the cockpit is designed to restrict it anyway.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2100195)   #18
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly Peter,why would you need side restraint in an F1 car when the cockpit is designed to restrict it anyway.
Please refer to an earlier quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by al weyman
they look cool.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2100197)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
They look bloody silly when you've got the helmet halfway off and the neck section tangled in your collar!
Old 5 Jan 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2100200)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
They look bloody silly when you've got the helmet halfway off and the neck section tangled in your collar!
There are also pretty dangerous when you're stumbling around not being able to see where you're going.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2100288)   #21
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
They can be very dangerous, I've seen one driver trying to get out of his car and his system somehow got stuck between the rollcage and the roof.

Looked funny for a while.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2100371)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyracing
my OMP neck collar has a tendancy to spin around, so by the end of a race it could be backwards or sideways
I've got a car like that
Old 6 Jan 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2100495)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you are going for a new seat it will be advertised as such,if the seat is an older version,chances are it will not be suitable.The compatible seats are usually the most expensive.Why do you need to go to Hans,there are several neck support collars available that will do a pretty good job,plus ,unlike a Hans,will give you're neck/head support during cornering/braking and acceleration.
(I had hoped that someone else would say this but, so far, no takers. )

No, neck collars don't perform anything like the function of a HANS device. I have even heard it said that they may increase the forces on the neck during the sort of accident against which the HANS is designed to protect.

If a soft neck collar does anything it helps support the head against cornering forces.

Regards

Jim
Old 6 Jan 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2100497)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
(I had hoped that someone else would say this but, so far, no takers. )

No, neck collars don't perform anything like the function of a HANS device. I have even heard it said that they may increase the forces on the neck during the sort of accident against which the HANS is designed to protect.

If a soft neck collar does anything it helps support the head against cornering forces.

Regards

Jim
If the correctly fitting neck brace is used it will be as effective as the HANS,dont forget that they are available in different fittings.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2100499)   #25
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If the correctly fitting neck brace is used it will be as effective as the HANS,dont forget that they are available in different fittings.
Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Jim

Tags
hans