Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2792528)   #51
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Rather a stupid move in GP2 sprint race, taking both himself and Bird out!
Really? I didn't know that as missed the coverage. Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can find some highlights.

Very aggressive driver though.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2792530)   #52
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
As a big Sutil fan, and a fan of Hulkenberg too, I'm inclined to disagree that Hulkenberg is better. At least at this stage. Sutil had another positive year, finishing level on points with Rubens and quite a way ahead of Nico despite having a poorer car for at least half a season

And no, Adrian isn't living off Monaco 2008. He's proved himself enough times since as well - have we forgotten that he got a front row at Monza last year, for instance? And his wet weather driving, usually the sign of a talented driver, is generally exemplary. I think he's the most underrated driver on the grid, not far off the position Webber was in a few years ago
The problem I've always had with Sutil is that whenever he puts in an excellent drive and makes you think he's world class, he then makes a silly error in the next race. Case in point, Monza 2009 on the front row followed by taking out Heidfeld by trying to recover from a spin straight into oncoming traffic in Singapore.

Hulkenberg definitely strikes me as a future champion. He struggled a bit at the beginning of the year, although since the introduction of the testing ban, this has been the case for pretty much all rookies, but has put in some solid performances since then.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2792535)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sutil has never done anything near as good what Hulkenberg did in Interlagos either has he?

Fisichella largely had the beating if him at FI in 2009. Sutil has only really done anything good through fortunate circumstances occurring in a qualy or race. I agree he has looked decent in the wet, until Korea when he looked like a desperado who was way out of his depth.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2792538)   #54
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
The problem I've always had with Sutil is that whenever he puts in an excellent drive and makes you think he's world class, he then makes a silly error in the next race. Case in point, Monza 2009 on the front row followed by taking out Heidfeld by trying to recover from a spin straight into oncoming traffic in Singapore.
Or putting an excellent drive in AND making a silly error in the same race: China 2009?

As I recall that was a wet race too...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Nov 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2792556)   #55
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The thing with Sutil is that he is a promising driver but will still be a promising driver when he's 35.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2792804)   #56
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a good way of putting it

As I said, he's like a German version of Webber. He's not perfect or outstandingly brilliant, but you don't need to be in F1 - there are no perfect drivers out there. I think he's one of the top 10 drivers on the grid at the moment and could win plenty of races given the right machinery. If Button can win the title, I'm sure Adrian can
Old 18 Nov 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2792838)   #57
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsy View Post
How about BMW - have they got two drivers signed for next year? I'm hoping they keep Kobayashi though, as he is highly entertaining to watch
Yep Sauber (ferrari) are all sorted with Kobayashi and Perez.

Last edited by Dan Fielden; 18 Nov 2010 at 21:28.
Old 19 Nov 2010, 09:52 (Ref:2793036)   #58
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
I personally dont think william's offer of a loan season at HRT before coming back to williams was a bad offer. Yes its a season at the back and not where he's used to being, however having a guaranteed return to an (in my opinion) improving williams team after a season in a diffcult car i believe he'l come back a stronger driver.
Guaranteed return? Like Jenson Button's return to Williams was guaranteed? Being loaned out to another team is absolutely no guarantee of ever returning to the team that holds your contract.

And like Teretonga says, you're assuming that HRT will be around next season. As things stand, they won't have a car to race, so Hulkenberg would be mad to sign up with them. If there are no better options for a race seat, it would make sense for him to be third driver for Mercedes - he fits their mould perfectly, he's a ready-made replacement for TGF, and if Weber is canny enough he might just be able to lever some Friday running into a contract to make sure that he actually gets to drive the car.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2793766)   #59
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
If Button can win the title, I'm sure Adrian can
But Mark can't
Old 21 Nov 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2793767)   #60
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Guaranteed return? Like Jenson Button's return to Williams was guaranteed? Being loaned out to another team is absolutely no guarantee of ever returning to the team that holds your contract.
I don't think that Button wa under any illusions about going back to Williams, unless it was to replace Ralf. Williams wanted Montoya back but couldn't get him for 2000, therefore Jenson got his chance.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2793800)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Montoya should never have gone to the US in my opinion. He hasn't had massive success over there, in fact, he's had less success over the pond than when he was in F1, and the reason he left F1 was because he apparently had no prospect of winning or finding a winning team, as he had already burned his bridges at Williams, had fallen out with McLaren and Ferrari had M Schu at the helm, and he would have been no number 2 driver.

I would like to know more about what exactly happened between him and McLaren in 2006.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2793828)   #62
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i suppose it is a sign of the times, but why can't Hulk get sponsorship and become a pay driver himself or race for less money and earn a living through personal endorsement deals secured by the fact he is an F1 driver....or is he already doing this?

with a new German WDC, a highly connected manager and considering Hulk is talented it should be much easier for him to find backers and commercial opportunities than almost every other pay driver out there.

im almost certainly missing something here.
Completely agree, you took the words right off my fingertips.

Even though this will set Hulk back a year or two, this could be perfect for him. I don't think anyone really thinks Williams is going anywhere anytime soon (even Williams, hence this move). While Williams is probably the best drive he could have got this (coming) year it certainly won't be in 2012.

He could conceivably have his choice among any of the top 5 teams in 1012. Massa's Ferrari seat will almost certainly be open then, one or both of the Merc seats should be avaible. Webber will probably not drive for Red Bull beyond 2011. Button's McLaren seat is probably least likely, but they might be able to keep the Merc engine if they sign Hulk.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2793923)   #63
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nico has publicly said he doesn't want to be a pay driver and bring money to a team which is absolutely HILARIOUS considering he's conveniently forgetting that's exactly what he did for every season until f1. i assume that was a puppet remark from weber...
Old 21 Nov 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2793968)   #64
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
and the reason he left F1 was because he apparently
Care to share a link to that? He had options to stay in F1, ironiclly one of them being Red Bull and i was under the impression that Williams would have had him back. I just think that JPM was in the wrong era of F1, although thats only my opinion, of course.

He seems to be more comfortable being in America. I'm sure, despite not being as successful in NASCAR as he'd hope to be, i'll guarentee he's happier now than he was in F1.

Funny how both of McLarens 2006 drivers are no longer in F1 and both seem happier for not being so,

Anyway, back on topic...
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2794255)   #65
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I never mentioned it in the Brazil race thread, but I watched the race back last night and I have to say what a poor job Hulkenberg did on the warm up lap. He really drove the last 2-3 corners far too quickly which meant that he was sat on the start line for a good minute before the rest of the field had formed up behind him. If he would have had his head screwed on, he should have been backing up the field near Juncao so he wasnt sat on the line for ages. Perhaps this could explain his less than stellar launch off the line and his oversteer moment at Des cida do Lago...?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2794459)   #66
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Des cida do Lago...?
Descida do Lago.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2794476)   #67
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Was that Hulk though or was that the contenders psyching him out?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2794620)   #68
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was reading this morning that the best apparent option for Hulkenberg is likely to be an F1 sabbatical (ie a test /reserve driver role) at Mercedes for 2011 with a race role for 2012, given that F1I are close to a deal with Sutil, and already have Di Resta in the wings.... (and lets not forget the potential of Di Resta whose testing times have been impressive to say the least and he did prove in Euro F3 to be faster all round than Vettel who he beat to the F3 title albeit back in 2006).

Willi Weber told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport that it is a more attractive option to be "the third man in a top team than the first man with a backmarker".And during a season with a straggler, "you learn nothing and your career is going backwards", according to Weber.

However, Haug is not confirming that any deal has been struck with Hulkenberg, but was quick to point out the Hulk's talents and achievments make him a future F1 star.....

One interesting thing he said was when he denied Weber's claim that a reserve role in a top team was a better way to go than a race drive with a tailend team.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2794646)   #69
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think at this point you have to start wondering whether weber has ruined hulkenbergs career as a f1 driver. it sounds like they made the right choice with avoiding the hispania trap but the lack of willingness to collect personal sponsorship baffles me completely. it's just so against the "job" market trends in f1 that it can't be wise. perhaps that attitude last year just about hung on but in 2011? it's going to be tricky to get back in, surely.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2794652)   #70
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with that possibility.....

Unfortunately the likes of Petrov and Maldonado with their huge 'incentive' packages, backed by government or state owned businesses to the tune of tens of millions have seemingly set up a new benchmark level of support that a new driver to F1 is expected to have available to secure an opening.

Petrov, who already seemingly had a huge (by prior standards of a pay driver) sponsorship package to back his F1 entry this year...... yet as soon as the rumours started to break that his 2011 position at Renault was a bit dodgy, he has come back with a guarantee from no less than Russian President Putin with what seems to be additional support 'as required' to keep a Russian in F1 as we get to the reality of a Russian GP on an F1 calendar in the near future.

All of a sudden Petrov seems to be secure at Renault (with the justification suddenly being one race at Abu Dhabi). Of course we know the truth is the extra financial incentive from the Russian Govt being the deal swinger.

And when said Petrov benefactor President Putin is seen driving at a Renault organised F1 driverday, driving Renault liveried F1 cars plus other lesser formula cars as a lead up and training to the F1 drive it could be said to have more than helped in Petrov's case.

With Maldonado having paid one million dollars for his recent testing days, and with some teams clearly looking at testing as an opportunity to raise cash with the sale of a seat for a day available to anyone with the cash as being more important than any thought of developing the car or driver......

Others may not agree but I see many similarities to the driver market and the way the traditional F1 calendar is now evolving, where races are awarded not to the most suitable venues with motorsport heritage and culture, but more now a bugger the show its the government funding and financial benefit rather than what is good for the sport......

In a similar way it now seems that even top midfield teams (ie Williams and Renault) may have one bona fide driver with talent an optional requirement for the second seat, an option of secondary importance to a good government backed and guaranteed source of funding in the area of 20million plus.

Of course Bernie did start that trend in a way with his policy at Brabham becoming one of a top #1 driver with a wealthy privateer to fund the team and pay the #1 drivers wages in the days of Piquet and the support of Rebaque etc.

Of course pay drivers have always been there even in the fifties, but now it is a move to government funded pay drivers with budgets many third world nations would love to have....

Last edited by E.B; 23 Nov 2010 at 11:42.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2794654)   #71
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think at this point you have to start wondering whether weber has ruined hulkenbergs career as a f1 driver. it sounds like they made the right choice with avoiding the hispania trap but the lack of willingness to collect personal sponsorship baffles me completely
I'm inclinded to agree; I am not convinced that the test driver route is the best way of securing an F1 race seat for the following season, unless one ends up with a role comparable to Paul di Resta, which is perhaps unlikely in a genuine front running team. As such, I believe a driver should be racing in order to progress and whilst I can understand that pride may deter a driver from using sponsorship money to secure a seat, it is perhaps unlikey that a compeititive seat will presnet itself on this basis.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2794658)   #72
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Unfortunately the likes of Petrov and Maldonado with their huge 'incentive' packages, backed by government or state owned businesses to the tune of tens of millions have seemingly set up a new benchmark level of support that a new driver to F1 is expected to have available to secure an opening.
i think the pay driver thing is chicken and egg. in the past 10 years teams have found their own sponsorship and in the case of mclaren actually limited their drivers from having personal sponsors. thanks to the ridiculous and disproportionate amount of money washing around the sport at that time there wasn't much trouble securing team sponsors. now of course, it's different, and like before when there were more cars on the grid, teams are quite rightly seeing a driver who brings his own backing as a solution to a shortage of sponsors looking to throw money at the team. but which came first - a defecit in the team budgets, or a driver saying "look, i can bring millions of euros in sponsorship, does that help?" and teams thinking they can use that money to build x or increase the productivity of y, or buy a new motorhome or whatever.

i just don't see why it's a problem. "standard" methods of funding such as solely team sponsors aren't available so the system of finding money has changed. it's the same everywhere. why should f1 be any different?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2794799)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i just don't see why it's a problem. "standard" methods of funding such as solely team sponsors aren't available so the system of finding money has changed. it's the same everywhere. why should f1 be any different?
it shouldn't be dfferent so totally agreed

also i would hope that more drivers bringing in their own personal sponsorship deals might lead to greater variety of sponsors and hopefully some smaller companies which allow for their spokepersons to operate with more freedom of personality.

perhaps a general move away from massive corporations would lead to other improvements across F1 as a whole.