Other 0 0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2790248)   #26
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Alonso the disgrace of the race- utterly classless and a deserved loser.
What, just for shaking his fist at Petrov at the end? I think poor Fernando was just taking his frustration out on the person nearest to him...

Hopefully, as mentioned, he'll have saved some anger for the shower of incompetents that really ruined his race.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2790295)   #27
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel all weekend long. Hon men to Petrov.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2790299)   #28
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber gets a sympathy vote.

Ha.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2790343)   #29
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best driver: Vettel
Luckiest driver: Schumacher
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2790358)   #30
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Vettel, closlely followed by Petrov then Kubica!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2790386)   #31
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
Best driver: Vettel
Luckiest driver: Schumacher
Yes, they both kept their heads.

Again, for me, it was Vettel almost by default from pole. Nobody really did anything special other than some late stoppers slowing other drivers. Vettel did a great job building a gap. Hamilton had to ask why Vettel was so far out after the stop.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2790394)   #32
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't really fault a title-winning drive like that, so I give it to Vettel.

Honourable mentions to Kubica and, in particular, Petrov.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2790403)   #33
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
Petrov for stopping Alonso winning the title
+1
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2790420)   #34
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Everybody who scored points preventing Hamilton from winning anything but 4th place.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2790454)   #35
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petrov stopped Alonso to grab the champ while Vettel won - and it was his merit today.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2790458)   #36
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Oh yes. Objects will be flying. I'd love to be a fly on the wall (as long as nothing hit me...)
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2790460)   #37
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petrov not for holding Alonso back but for not making any mistakes with the Ferrari breathing down his neck .
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2790462)   #38
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso: for realising that it would leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth if he became WDC with a sub-8 point margin. So being the honourable man he is, he fell on his sword.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2790465)   #39
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

Like I said, Ferrari sucked in... as for Petrov he did what he had to do and Teflonso did put some pressure on him and wasn't capable to surpass him and this was a good job for Petrov.
I wouldn't be surprised if some Ferrari guy went to Renault's garage trying to make a deal...
A deal like "If Petrov lets Alonso past and holds up Webber we will give you free engines next year....."

Fact is: Petrov is the only person other than Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Webber, Button and Kubica to have scored a fastest lap this year. His first half of the season wasn't too bad for a rookie and some of his qualifying efforts put him into Q3 a few times.

He withstood pressure from a multiple WDC driving a faster car for half a race without a major mistake. If he had done this at any other time of the season for any of the drivers ahead of him he would have been a hero. Alonso had his year, but didn't have his perfect race.

Webber had his chances and made a few errors, basically Valencia and Korea, that cost him the title plus a qualifying effort in Abu Dhabi that locked him into a mid pack hold up. But he could have had a go at Alonso and never really did. He had nothing to lose.

Vettel was flawless at Yas Marina.
Petrov? I'd take him any day over Buemi, Algy, di Grassi,Senna, etc. Only Hulkenberg and Kobyashi race better or as well outside the long term F1 regulars.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2790470)   #40
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought about petrov, and he was a valid choice. He drove with skill and consistency was there. It was without doubt his best performance of the year, one that might even keep him gainfully employed in F1.

But at the end of the day I have to give it to Vettel. He was under intense pressure from not only those suggesting he should focus on helping his teamate. At the end of the day Vettel did what he needed to with clinical efficiency, from getting a pole lap with only one run in Q3. He managed to get pole position, anf he buillt on that with a great start and controlled the day with a performance that could not be faulted. His in and outlap were superb and guaranteed he kept the race lead after the pit stop cycle.

It was a worthy drive to clinch your first WDC with. He did everything he needed to and made no mistakes something his more experienced fellow title challengers were not able to do.

Well done Seb. A great performance.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2790504)   #41
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petrov, Vettel or Kubica

Flawless drive from Petrov and especially good given his previous performances and for beating Kubica in quali. Plus he prevented Alonso from winning the championship which is karma for Germany.

Vettel for a perfect weekend and winning his first championship

Kubica also for a good drive

But Petrov gets it
Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2790559)   #42
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Petrov, for keeping his head under intense pressure.

And for righting the wrong that would have been a highly undeserved title for Mr Alonso.

And a special mention for Martin Brundell's "Get a grip son" Comment aimed at Teflonso.

Perry McCarthy
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2790588)   #43
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get real.

Vettel.

No brainer.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2790629)   #44
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Get real.

Vettel.

No brainer.
Just remove the full stops. Yeah he won. He was fastest. (Chokes, me, not him.)

Petrov, good job.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2790641)   #45
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite surprised at the voting.
I voted for Petrov expecting to get flack for being so anti-Ferrari/Teflonso, but I see the vast majority feel the same as me.
Yes, Vettel was the best driver, both today and yersterday and fully deserves his reward. Kubica drove a great race fending off a desperate Hamilton for the majority of the race but, someone had to stop Teflonso and up stepped Mr Petrov. Sir, I thank you and salute you. you are the man.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2790680)   #46
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Button for me.
I was amazed at how long he could stay out on those softer tires.

Can't give that much credit to Petrov or Kubica for keeping the next car behind.
Almost the whole did that, except for Kobayashi, who actually had someone pass him.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2790833)   #47
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
der Seb. Now that lad could make a great champion.
He's nearly as good as le Seb who also won this weekend!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2790839)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Before going to my choice of DotR I'd like to mention Mickey-the-Shoe who showed great composure and equanimity in the face of a somewhat scary moment. He not only admitted that the spin was his fault but also made sure Liuzi was ok too. Good piece of sportsmanship IMO.

Now, driver of the race. There were three drives worthy of merit, Button, Petrov and of course Vettel.

Button showed what he is capable of and was unlucky not to win. The tryes eventually stopped him. Had he put the hammer down earlier or for longer when he was in the lead he'd probably have used the tyres up long before he did.

Vettel drove a storming race, covered Hamilton at the first turn and never looked back.

Petrov. Under severe pressure to perform, he not only held Alonso up, he didn't put a wheel wrong all through the race, from what I saw anyway.

Soo it comes down to what was important, being in the best car (or one of them) and getting the job done, or taking advantage of a situation and making a very good fist of it? Well done Vitaly, you get my vote.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2790861)   #49
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel was on for the entire race has to be him , l give a Big Balls award to Petrov for the job on Alonso.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2790894)   #50
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Vettel for me - did everything he had to do to take the title, and did it convincingly.

Petrov has to have an honourable mention though, because I have to admit that I fully expected him to just throw it off the road with Alonso behind him, so full credit it to him for keeping him behind (not that he really appeared to be under much pressure, which was strange).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'