Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 May 2003, 15:52 (Ref:598879)   #26
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not wishing to start an argument here, but if we are talking about what we would like to see, I would rather see anything at the revival meeting than any historic car racing round Silverstone. Having attended both the Coys and the Revival on a regualr basis, the spectacle (and the racing) of the Goodwood sweeps is in my view much more satisfying. I do wish Silverstone/Octagon would sort out a proper festival catering for pre and post '66 cars though, the combination of Group C, Can-Am, F1, Artist pavilion, Rally etc offered by the Coys was great.

Thanks for reminding me of the name Rob Cox, will have to dig out some old programmes to check what it was based on. And i do have some Donington GT pics (Rob Wilson in a BMW M1 Chevy ???) but I took them when I was 8 so they are rubbish! How I would love a high profile, well supported series for home grown specials like those today.
Old 14 May 2003, 16:13 (Ref:598906)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Rob Cox ran the "Black Brick" as I recall. But was it a Westfield?

Yes, that brings back a memory. I've got photos of it somewhere in the Brands paddock. Didn't realise it might be a Westfield though - not that it matters.....

One of my slightly silly favourites was David Enderby's Karmann-Ghia. Saw that car so many times. I had a soft spot for it coz my first car was a 1967 K-G.
Old 14 May 2003, 16:35 (Ref:598926)   #28
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here you go. Rob Cox's Black Brick being tested at Goodwood by Marcus Pye. From Autosport.
Attached Thumbnails
brick.jpg  
Old 14 May 2003, 18:22 (Ref:598993)   #29
Remus
Racer

Thanks Andrew! Happy memories from my childhood. Just one question - is that the black brick or had it become super brick by this stage?...
Old 14 May 2003, 18:52 (Ref:599026)   #30
Remus
Racer

We did say at the start this was a bit of fun so...

Ridiculous I know, but how about this year's crop of F1 drivers competing in historic FFords, open face helmets and no sponsorship at this years Revival. Now that I would love to see...
Old 15 May 2003, 03:54 (Ref:599302)   #31
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Ridiculous I know, but how about this year's crop of F1 drivers competing in historic FFords."

Remus i'm with you on that one! That would make sensational viewing...32 (include the test drivers too, the more the merrier!) historic FFords pounding into Paddock Hill as a part of the FFord Festival....that would sort the men from the boys!!! :0
Old 15 May 2003, 05:36 (Ref:599343)   #32
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, Paddock Hill strikes me as a better place than Madgwick. Formula Ford and Goodwood were never historically concurrent, the one commencing a year after the other closed down.

Incidentally, Black Brick was definitely a Caterham. I'm not convinced Westfield was in business as early as 1978.
Old 15 May 2003, 06:41 (Ref:599370)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the Group C cars are out 24/25 May at Silverstone on the GP circuit for a great meeting, the 75th Anniversary BRDC meeting. We are out in the 50's Sportscars and they also have current GT and F3. Not as quaint as Goodwood but a lot more exciting!
Old 15 May 2003, 07:16 (Ref:599406)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tim, thanks. Remus. We tend to denigrate Silverstone but it is fair to say that without it there probably wouldn't be any racing history in this country. There was of course pre war Donington and Brooklands but before 1949 most motorsport in this country was time trials and hill climbs. I do stand to be corrected of course.

Sadly I've never been to the Goodwood Revival due to either work or more importantly racing commitments. Its the same this year.

Definitely a festival at Spa for the Six Hours would be a tremendous boost for the area. The setting, the international flavour and the diversity of machinery would (does) draw crowds from everywhere. It would also make up for the loss of the GP.
Old 15 May 2003, 07:43 (Ref:599440)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree and Spa can start large grids so it would be able to accomodate some great races.
I am obviously the only person who thinks Silverstone GP circuit is great fun. I was lucky enough to race at the last Festival and it is still my favourite race I have done. Lets hope the VSCC/HSCC meeting this w/e takes off and replaces it but I have to say that 15 minute races on the International circuit is a poor substitute!!
Old 15 May 2003, 07:49 (Ref:599443)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like Silverstone. In particular the International circuit. If you come down to Bridge from Abbey on the historic circuit you are flat out through Bridge. Coming of the Internatioanl circuit you tend to be coming up to peak revs in top so you are accellerating into Bridge. Makes it a bit more interesting I think.

But I'm getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Spa this year. It is the only race on my horizon and September or not I'm already mentally setting the car up to take Blanchiment flat.
Old 15 May 2003, 09:22 (Ref:599525)   #37
simon drabble
Veteran

If you havent got it right into your head by Sept then you never will!! I havent done the International circuit before but I have 2 races on it this w/e so hopefully before the end of the second race I might get it right!
Spa is always worth looking fwd to. I am also going to Charade this year which is a first for me so I will be looking for tips nearer the event (27 Jul)
Old 15 May 2003, 16:20 (Ref:599891)   #38
Remus
Racer

Peter, I think Silverstone is a good circuit, although I can only speak from a spectators/amature photographer point of view rather than that of a driver. I just dont think the historic cars look quite right behind catch fencing, huge gravel traps etc (Having said that I have witnessed some super historic racing there over the years). The FIA GTs at their peak, or the ALMS round however are a totally different matter however. It's just horses for courses I suppose. I totally agree with you on the notion of a festival at Spa, preferably on the same weekend as the GP used to be.
Old 15 May 2003, 21:15 (Ref:600301)   #39
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble

I am obviously the only person who thinks Silverstone GP circuit is great fun.
Nope, add me! I really don't like the national circuit, but when I raced at the last festival I loved the historic GP circuit, with bridge possibly the most challenging corner after Eau Rouge I have ever done. I thought it was a great shame that the last festival was a bit lacklustre compared to earlier meetings, *greatly* compounded by the fact that the vast majority of drivers & cars left immediately after their particular race (not intended as a pop at anyone in particular). It meant that the highest number of spectators (on the Monday) had only 50% of the cars to look at. (Having said that, there's nothing to compare to Goodwood - but the two have their own advantages). I didn't do Oulton last year, and sadly can't this year, but that definitely counts as my all-time favourite circuit.
Old 16 May 2003, 06:32 (Ref:600559)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Remus,

Gravel traps are everywhere (but perhaps not at Goodwood). Catch fendcing is also a feature of all major venues so whilst it reduces the "historical" element it does mean we can keep watching, or competing in, our favourite sport.

Simon.

They changed the International circuit by re aligning the Irelend bends. The kerbs there were a serious challenge just as you accellerated out of the Becketts hairpin. Most people tend to brake too early for Becketts. IIRC there are some pretty wide kerbs and a reasonable straight (which appears shorter from the driving seat) exiting Maggotts so you can let the car settle before throwing it round the corner.
Old 16 May 2003, 06:54 (Ref:600571)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks for that I am looking at the rain outside and fear it is going to be a wet w/e! saloons did have their advantages - a roof!!!!!!!!!!! I am mentally prepared for another soaking and fogged up visor!
Old 16 May 2003, 13:36 (Ref:600967)   #42
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A full field of 1-litre F3 cars from around 1969/70, please. With as many original drivers that can be mustered. See if they have calmed down a bit over the years.
Old 17 May 2003, 11:10 (Ref:601698)   #43
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We haven't ... !
Old 20 May 2003, 18:22 (Ref:605134)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by mickj
And John Turners Skoda-Chevy.

John are you the John Turner?
Mickj,

Sorry for delay in replying - substantial pitstop for recalcitrant PC.

No, I am not that John Turner. All I managed was a few sprints and Hillclimbs in the 70's. Is the John Turner you mentioned the same one that I used to watch racing Imps about that time?

To continue this thread, I'd also like to see all those modsports Elans, E-types and TVR Tuscans with very wide tyres under hugely flared wheel arches. What about Plastic Pearson's XK. I expect all these have been converted back closer to originality now, in view of their value.
Old 20 May 2003, 18:47 (Ref:605166)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with all who say that Coys should return to Silverstone, a wonderful counterbalance to Goodwood. Also went both days to CSMA Brands, this weekend, - great cars (just love Tim Busby's CSL)and racing but the weather was not as kind as it could have been. Since it was promoted as a family day out, the world and his wife was there, complete with screaming kids with little interest in the racing. Don't you just love it when groups of people clearly out only for a social, stand in front of you, nattering, often with their backs to the racing, obscuring the view. Most of them left aftrer the Eoroboss race, and there were still 3 races to go!

They have also raised the fencing even higher, presumably because of the Champ cars. Just to end this moan; umbrellas should absolutely and totally banned from race circuits. I remember my pleasure at Grant Williams antics in the wet at Goodwood being marred by the sea of brollies. GRRRRR.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 21 May 2003, 03:14 (Ref:605513)   #46
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John
I came across the 'Super Saloons'and 'Modsports' through the pages of CCC magazine and Autosport. We have 'Sport Sedans' which is similiar to the Super Saloons and production sports cars which is like Modsport.
I remember John Turner racing the Skoda V8, I still have the handout that Skoda sent me years ago.

Last edited by mickj; 21 May 2003 at 03:15.
Old 21 May 2003, 03:59 (Ref:605531)   #47
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting sites, www.modsport.just.nu
www.nordic-thundercars.no
www.knutspeed.com
Old 23 May 2003, 19:29 (Ref:608225)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mickj, yep those two mags will give a good taste of what those cars and races were like. also looked at the modsport site - very interesting! Don't seem to be abl;e to get into the other two - will try again later.

Oh, yes and I'd like to see a DBR4 driven competitively like Neil Corner used to do and later occasionally, our Gerry!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 31 May 2003, 15:39 (Ref:615918)   #49
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Rob Cox race a "Slippery Brick" as well? I remember he went on to race a Lola F3000 in Open Libre races.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 09:05 (Ref:616506)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Junior Senior,

I can think of loads of cars that could be so-called; presumably there was one model in particular called that - please enlighten me!

Bending the theme slightly, since I am now talking films, I 'd love to see any footage of Roy Salvadori's victory over Mike Parkes at the 1963 Coppa InterEuropa at Monza. This was 3 hour hammer and tongs race in which Roy, in Aston Project 214, beat Parkes in a 250GTO - wonderful stuff!