Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:32 (Ref:876212)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Minardi sacrifices engine power for reliability (LOL!)

I've just read the news. What power? Maybe they need Ford Cosworths of 70s, they were so reliable.

But slightly more seriously, is Minardi going to have a harder than usual season? Or perhaps they will have an opportunity to close distances with midfield?

I wonder how the new engine regulations are going to change the ecology of F1 teams.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:43 (Ref:876227)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They using a minor update of last years engines, so reliability problems were somewhat inevitable.

They can't be sacrificing that much power, however.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:30 (Ref:876414)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like i've wondered, why don't they simply use last year's engine but upgrade it's power instead. Let the engine blow after practice and quals, they qualify last anyways... then at least comes the race they had an almost decent engine.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 04:54 (Ref:876523)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they're going to do quiet poorly this year. The other teams will take steps forward while they're stuck with the old Arrows chasis. The Arrows chasis didn't exactly light the world on fire in its prime.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 07:56 (Ref:876604)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doing moor poorly than last year is frankly a hard task do accomplish.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 10:38 (Ref:876738)   #6
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just rename them to Andrea Moda or Life
Old 17 Feb 2004, 11:18 (Ref:876813)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have to hand it to Minardi though, they are still in there pitching, with arguably the worst chassis/engine/driver lineup of 2004 and they are still confident of a strong season....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Feb 2004, 11:21 (Ref:876817)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gt_R poses a good question. The answer may be that, after the debacle of Australia qualifying last year, the FIA might've made it clear that no more actions outside the spirit of the rules will be accepted from Paul.

In the early part of the season, I think Minardi could do okay. They are used to these engines, whereas everyone else has to find the balance between power and lasting reliability. Remember that engines can sometimes react strangely to being stopped and then starting up again, due to the temperature issues. If they can simply keep the cars on the road, the odd surprise point score is possible. On pace they may be further adrift than ever - if the 107% rule was still there, Zsolt at least may have struggled to qualify late in the season.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 12:31 (Ref:876898)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
... they are still confident of a strong season....
What do you expect them to say? They can hardly stand there and say:

"Our car is the worst on the grid, our drivers don't stand a chance, we have no hope of scoring points if 8 other cars finish. All donations greatfully accepted."

Every team comes out with a positive spin on things, if you look at all the quotes from the team launches everyone expects to have a good season.

It's the same after races too, a bad performance is described as a 'difficult' race and the team always says it will learn from it. It's just waffle (much like this post)
Old 17 Feb 2004, 14:46 (Ref:877027)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its funny-didn't Schumacher or someone talk about Minardi in an interview, and he asked out loud "why are they so bad?" it doesn't make sense they continued, "as it is an unwrtten rule for them to always be at the back"
really why are they always soooo bad, the Last year Jordan was awful, but it out did minardi, with the "new" Arrows Minardi atarted using, you'd think they improve- at least the chassis was a proven stable and straightline balzing fast piece- so why sdid the suck so bad?
Old 17 Feb 2004, 14:48 (Ref:877028)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's Mika who said that i believe.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 14:52 (Ref:877031)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think they'll be "further adrift on pace than before".

No major rule changes for car design always tightens the grid.

The gap from P1 to P20 tends to narrow every year.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 15:00 (Ref:877038)   #13
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they might do a tad better this year. They seem to have a couple of drivers who at least know the right way round a racetrack.

Just think if it wasn't for them and Jordan we'd have Jaguar on the back row of the grid
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:03 (Ref:877893)   #14
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Just rename them to Andrea Moda or Life

Or EuroBrun
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:12 (Ref:877926)   #15
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mika's full of it. It's not damn hard to wonder why. It costs so-many dollars to ship stuff to and from each race, and keep the team running, and rebuild a car. McLaren/Williams/Ferrari can afford such luxuries as experimenting with differant materials. Minardi barely has the budget to do tests between differant designs on known materials. When they make something new, I'd be willing to bet it's an educated gamble of a sorts.

More money doesn't necessarily mean more pace.
But a lack of funds almost always will mean less.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 09:54 (Ref:878082)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spot on golem.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 10:13 (Ref:878101)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think Martin Brundle summed it up well last year when he said something along the lines of - "the minardi is a slow formula one car but it's still a very very quick car."

Minardi and Jordan probably get more bang per buck than any other team. Toyota probably the least.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 10:54 (Ref:878146)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
"Our car is the worst on the grid, our drivers don't stand a chance, we have no hope of scoring points if 8 other cars finish. All donations greatfully accepted."
At least it would be the truth.... Salvation Army Racing
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Feb 2004, 12:21 (Ref:878211)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
At least it would be the truth.... Salvation Army Racing
It'd be more amusing as well if the teams were honest after the race in their press releases.

Current version: "After making good progress we experienced a technical issue that compromised our ulitmate pace, our race came to a premature end when the car lost traction on some oil that had been dropped on the circuit and span into the gravel trap."

What it should be: "Our driver is a total knucklehead. We are drawing him pictures of the flags so he knows what to look for. If he does it again he'll be eating through a straw."