Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2000, 22:44 (Ref:869)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just sent this to Autosport.com for inclusion in the magazine:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Dear Ed,
I read in Autosport (May 11) that a number of teams have tested five groove tyres in an effort to control speeds for next season.
This is terrible news. If the aim is to make the racing safer by reducing the speed, why make the cars unpredictable and unstable on cornering?
If the aim is to promote overtaking in the sport, (something that's been missing now for a while!) then surely it would be more productive to outlaw the Gurney strips and diffusers that create 'dirty air' and prohibit another car to follow too closely.

The spectacle of Formula 1 has been gradually diluted every season, since I started watching in the early Mansell years. There must be an alternative to reducing mechanical grip. Less downforce? Smaller engine capacity or a lower rev limit? How about intake restrictors as seen in the Group A rally days and NASCAR? These can be adjusted much more easily than almost anything else.
What do other readers think? Wouldn't it be great to have the return of the Glory Days of Grand Prix Racing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you think?

Old 12 May 2000, 13:19 (Ref:870)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good letter Sparks. I am going to look for opportunities in the magazines and web sites I read to make a similar statement.

Someone mentioned approaching the teams individualy. Although the teams have limited influence in the direction of the sport, they are (or should be) more sensitive to the opinions and concerns of their fans (they call it "marketing").

I know a few people on the Ford side of the Jaguar team. Instead of just asking them for passes to the USGP, I am going to ask them to consider what many fans are saying in these forums (then I'll ask for passes).

I'll share any responses I get with y'all.
Old 12 May 2000, 18:45 (Ref:871)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doh.

Just give em big slicks and no wings.
Old 12 May 2000, 20:43 (Ref:872)   #4
Diff-Light
Rookie

Diff-Light should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stop wasting your time!
Old 12 May 2000, 21:04 (Ref:873)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

What would you have us do, Mr light?
Old 12 May 2000, 23:18 (Ref:874)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fine letter, Spark;

I continue to be baffled how just about everyone but the "Powers That Be" can see the problem AND the solution.
When Max's term is up, I nominate you to replace him.
Old 12 May 2000, 23:35 (Ref:875)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Thanks EERO!!
I'm on my way!

Right, form an orderly queue...
What is it we want again...?
Old 14 May 2000, 20:09 (Ref:876)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BACK TO 1978! Or failing that, big wide slicks, big wide cars AND TURBOS. Oh, and exile Bernie to Lebanon (tell him he's prospecting out a new F1 venue) and quietly replace him with someone who actually cares about F1. If Sparky can't serve, I nominate Ken Tyrrel.