Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Dec 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2806884)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BBC "Exclusive": Pat Head & Rory Byrne propose "biggest ... change since 1983" in '13

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9307861.stm

OK, this has been rumoured for a while, but this does make it look more likely to happen. They appear to be good rule changes, my only concern is if the cars actually are five seconds a lap slower, it may devalue F1 - perhaps some tweaks to keep them nearer to current pace would be a better idea.

One possible error is that surely Jo Bauer would sign the rules off before handing to the teams, not Charlie Whiting?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2806889)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Much smaller front and rear wings;
Yesss!

Quote:
Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.
Yesss!

Now listen up to these two, FIA and get sensible. No circus regulations just Patrick-Head common-sense please.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2806895)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Smaller wings, less downforce and fat tyres, great. Full throttle restricted to 50% of a lap, not so great.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2806904)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not convinced ground effect is the answer

I hope they're not just doing this because "it was good in the 80s". That is totally the wrong way to go about it
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2806914)   #5
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 is becoming a joke.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2806923)   #6
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That comment regarding restricting full throttle to 50% just means that the cars are supposed to be harder to drive. Ie, Eau Rouge might not be easy flat anymore. That would be a good thing and would favor the better drivers over the kids who walk straight in from lower formula and get on the pace straigth away.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2806927)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is what is being proposed, although it appears some people may have read in to that that it means some form of push to pass type system over and above KERS. What Andrew Benson describes it as is

Quote:
The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;
Less throttle time will be possible with less downforce anyway.

This new rules package looks great (coupled with the 2013 powertrains), my only concern is if the cars are too slow, in which case I suppose with turbos it would be easier to crank up the power. Ideally the FIA would use these principles as a general blueprint for how single seaters should be, I suppose.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2806932)   #8
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look like a great idea. Reducing the cars dependance on aero is one of the most important areas to adress in order to promote overtaking. I guess the question is how much of this will actually see the light of day. Similar ideas to these have been floating around for a long time and never seem to come to fruition. People who spent a lot on windtunnels don't tend to like talk about decreasing aero much :-)
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2806935)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
This new rules package looks great (coupled with the 2013 powertrains), my only concern is if the cars are too slow, in which case I suppose with turbos it would be easier to crank up the power.
Leading to decreased reliability when the proposal is to reduce the number of engines to 4 eventually!
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2806937)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
They could always not go for the four engines in 2014, or deliver some of the extra power by increasing the KERS (maybe go for a continuous baseline level whenever the throttle is applied*, still with the option of the tactical KERS).

*Theoretically a team could use the KERS throughout the lap to produce a diddy bit of power, the maximum is only on the rate, not the time, but it isn't as useful as the kick it provides now).
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2806947)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Great changes if true, though like most "great" changes they always get watered down. Remember the 2005 regs - Antony Davidson saying the Honda was like driving a big formula ford after all the aero cuts? 70% aero cut? More like 20%, which was soon made up over the 2005 season.

I just hope they make the cars wider too.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2806950)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9307861.stm

OK, this has been rumoured for a while, but this does make it look more likely to happen. They appear to be good rule changes, my only concern is if the cars actually are five seconds a lap slower, it may devalue F1 - perhaps some tweaks to keep them nearer to current pace would be a better idea.

One possible error is that surely Jo Bauer would sign the rules off before handing to the teams, not Charlie Whiting?
Great if it happens !!!
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2806955)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Great changes if true, though like most "great" changes they always get watered down. Remember the 2005 regs - Antony Davidson saying the Honda was like driving a big formula ford after all the aero cuts? 70% aero cut? More like 20%, which was soon made up over the 2005 season.
Not to mention the changes for last year when all the lost downforce was quickly made up by things like the DDD and more on top to such an extent that Vettel's Q2 lap at Silverstone was the fastest quali lap on that layout ever

In a recent discussion, Pat Symonds dismissed the idea of ground effect helping overtaking as a paddock myth - he says they did investigations in the OWG and found that it created a wake that made it difficult for cars behind to follow, essentially like the DDD
Old 21 Dec 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2806973)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps we might reach a point where the speed of the car is actually down to the mechanical grip of the chassis rather than the pure amount of downforce a car can generate...?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2807023)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
F1 is becoming a joke.
Did you hear the one about the Englishman, the Irishman and the Scotsman?

Big tyres and less downforce from wings is good. I hope that they don't ruin it all with too much elec-trickery.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2807026)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Perhaps we might reach a point where the speed of the car is actually down to the mechanical grip of the chassis rather than the pure amount of downforce a car can generate...?
That's a lot of wind tunnels left standing idle. Possibly an alround good thing when all's said and done.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2807052)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's a lot of wind tunnels left standing idle. Possibly an alround good thing when all's said and done.
Stick planes in them.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2807053)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm actually really encouraged by this.

I think essentially, they've got the right idea here. I don't think anyone can dispute that they've gone for the jugular this time. As much as it appeared that the 2009 regs might shake things up, perhaps in retrospect it just wasn't shaken up enough. This however, is a little different.

I think the engine regs look decent, and if it's encouraging other engine makers back in to the game, then it's definitely a positive.

Plus, I think people need to perhaps try and look at some of these new electronic gadgets as a possibility for variables. If, and it's a big if, teams are allowed to develop their electronic technologies, then that's surely a positive, too, especially given the amount of spec'ing that's been going on over the past few years.

And overall the idea of less wing, more rubber can't be faulted. Last thing i'd like to see mentioned is the idea of widening the cars a little more once again.

Selby
Old 21 Dec 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2807054)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
One thing which puzzles me, they state that "tyres will remain large and chunky". That doesn't really tell us a lot, are they going to stay the same size? Are they going to be wider?

If they are massively reducing downforce (which I hope) then one way to keep cornering speeds high is to make wider tyres and have a wider wheel track (back to 2000mm or 2200mm?).
Old 21 Dec 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2807055)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Stick planes in them.
Apparently, the likes of high speed train manufacturers would be interested in using/purchasing them.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2807065)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
There are wind tunnel users other than racing teams, certainly - planes, road cars, trains, golf balls (probably) etc. One rule that I'd like to see is that, bearing in mind the model size and air speed are limited, a restriction that wind tunnels can only be used during normal business hours.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2807077)   #22
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 cars need 900-1000BHP
Mixture of V8, V10 and V12 engines
18" rear slicks
220cm width
Flat Bottom

We want to watch a sport where these cars are the pinnacle of motorsport.. not some ECO green F1 cars with silly little 4 pot 1.6 litre engines that are found in a small family hatch. Somthing is clearly wrong!

In otherwords soemthing like this:

Old 21 Dec 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2807085)   #23
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
"Silly little 4 pot 1.6 litre engines that are found in a small family hatch"? Find me a 650hp small family hatch, then ...

I admit would be more comfortable with ~700hp + KERS though, to ensure power levels are roughly like current ones, but the cars - bearing in mind their power levels (remember, more powerful KERS) and cornering speeds, will still be the top of motorsport. Larger rear wheels are an option, but 2.2m track would possibly make overtaking worse around circuits like the Hungaroring or street circuits where there might not be as much physical room to overtake.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2807097)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
... but 2.2m track would possibly make overtaking worse around circuits like the Hungaroring or street circuits where there might not be as much physical room to overtake.
I don't believe thats a concern at all. I mean if Piquet can overtake Senna around the outside of turn 1 at Hungary with a 2200mm car, then that pretty much sells it for me.

Making the cars wider is about stabilty and drag as much as corner speed. With wider cars there is more drag, thus less inclination to run a lot of aero.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2807110)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
a restriction that wind tunnels can only be used during normal business hours.
The problem there is that it's just not going to go down too well with the local electricity provider if you keep stopping and starting your wind tunnel all of the time.