Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 23 Sep 2015, 20:13 (Ref:3576449)   #76
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris's post has highlighted the difference between what I see as successful events or series and the ones less successful. The first are those that are driven by passion and will overcome every obstacle to make sure that it succeeds.
The second are driven by a more commercial line of thinking and a bit of "What's in it for me".
The first is run by people with tenacity and a blind disregard of the word failure or of the consequences of failure so they make it happen. They give their all .
The second is usually managed by people who talk the talk but fail to pass the test of walking the walk. The first have a committee of 2 - 3 effective people, often with 1 -2 absent while the later will have Old Uncle Tom Cobbly and all on their committee.
The first will have meetings on the run and the second will sit down around the table once a month simply because it is a month since their last meeting.

Keep it going Chris, you are doing a magic job and are one of the unsung hero's of NZ Motorsport
Old 23 Sep 2015, 20:21 (Ref:3576450)   #77
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I can't really recall doing anything I didn't enjoy.
Never had to clean the toilet then?
Old 23 Sep 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3576453)   #78
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Never had to clean the toilet then?
I do that by using the heads of people who annoyed me hence the enjoyment.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3576455)   #79
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I guess it comes down to the old question of what is the primary aim, to grow the sport or to make money from it. I believe you can do both (Bernie Ecclestone seems to have managed) but I think you first need to nurture it and grow it until there is a good level of interest across a broad demographic, only then can you really think of it in commercial terms.

Some sports like F1 always had the popularity but needed a good commercial mind to make them take off, others (like A1GP) are run by people who are only interested in themselves and in the end the teams and then public walk away when they see through the hype.

Note that this is NOT what happened to V8ST, at least not initially, as there were the right things in place to make it work, but once the teams had to sell out to a single entity it unfortunately seemed to become like that in a short space of time.

Meanwhile the NZ public needs nurturing back to tin-top racing, I am a particular fan of GT racing so I really hope we can see some growth in that and other series on the back of some cooperation between the Powers That Be.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 21:39 (Ref:3576475)   #80
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess it comes down to the old question of what is the primary aim, to grow the sport or to make money from it. I believe you can do both (Bernie Ecclestone seems to have managed) but I think you first need to nurture it and grow it until there is a good level of interest across a broad demographic, only then can you really think of it in commercial terms.

Some sports like F1 always had the popularity but needed a good commercial mind to make them take off, others (like A1GP) are run by people who are only interested in themselves and in the end the teams and then public walk away when they see through the hype.

Note that this is NOT what happened to V8ST, at least not initially, as there were the right things in place to make it work, but once the teams had to sell out to a single entity it unfortunately seemed to become like that in a short space of time.

Meanwhile the NZ public needs nurturing back to tin-top racing, I am a particular fan of GT racing so I really hope we can see some growth in that and other series on the back of some cooperation between the Powers That Be.
Mate, Formula One is probably the worst it has ever been. Money over talent hands down. It certainly is making money and with that you can disguise growth by including all these glamorous new events. Doesn't make it anymore spectacular or exciting to me.

As I said in my first post, the SI Endurance Series is 100% competitor focused. As you are all probably aware TV is a huge cost, worse in the SI and simply out of our reach. Most of our cars are ultimately self funded, so cost vs. reward for TV wasn't there when we last analysed it.

The 1hr vs. 3hr cost & simplicity is something that both SIERDC & NIERDC will be discussing, and yes 16 cars is the lowest in about 5-6 years but in the 11 years I have been running the Series it has always gone up & down numberwise. Maybe there is a tweak that needs to be made but ultimately its not my decision, as its the competitors who decide the series rules, not any officials or administrators.

But back on topic, the V8 fans (well whats left of them) most certainly need nurturing back to the track, but the lack of information coming out via their respective fb pages & websites is dismal at best...
Old 23 Sep 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3576481)   #81
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Agree with you on pretty much all your points, F1 was at its peak I think from the 90's to the mid-2000's but I agree it has gone downhill since then. Look at a talented driver like Mitch who has to be a standout for a drive but unless someone comes up with an awful lot of money it's unlikely he will get a contract I wouldn't have thought. And the cars sound like sh*te now too!

The F1 calendar is suffering from the same disease as the rugby calendar, too much does not mean better. I would rather watch a race in Europe with fans in the stands than one in Dubai or China with a magnificent but nonetheless empty facility.

BUT back to the tin tops. The public will need to be shown something to make them interested again, V8SC is a good platform for that so I hope they get a good turnout but the mainstream media have got to stop being so obsessed over oval balls.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3576510)   #82
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Keep it going Chris, you are doing a magic job and are one of the unsung hero's of NZ Motorsport
Well said.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3576513)   #83
eskymsport
Rookie

eskymsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I know first hand how hard it is to get info out and about without spending large amounts of advertising dollar, i am very surprised how little info there is about the first round of championships in Taupo next month. I am an active competitor and event organisers at club level, I follow nz motorsport through the media as much as anyone and when I was offered tickets to Taupo next month I almost turned them down because i didn't even know what event it was. If a keen motorsport person doesn't even know it is happening how is the general public going to be convinced to go
In regards to F1, I attended my first F1 race meeting earlier this year, while i had a great time i don't think i will be rushing back any time soon.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3576515)   #84
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
NZ needs a good general motorsport website that has everything on it including calendars and reminders of upcoming events.

Or MSNZ needs to encourage its minions to keep their websites and FB pages up to date. And media need to stop being so bloody obsesses with the stupid RWC!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 02:20 (Ref:3576527)   #85
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start here for the Premier Series guys, http://www.hrcevents.co.nz

They also have a facebook page under the same name.

Chris - you are a bloody legend. Without people like you (and they're becoming fewer and further between) there wouldn't be motorsport in this country fullstop. I know first hand just how generous you are to motorsport folk after the amazing assistance offered to us following an "off" in Targa.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 02:58 (Ref:3576532)   #86
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetroll View Post
Start here for the Premier Series guys, http://www.hrcevents.co.nz

They also have a facebook page under the same name.
Brill, thanks!!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3576590)   #87
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
NZ needs a good general motorsport website that has everything on it including calendars and reminders of upcoming events.

Or MSNZ needs to encourage its minions to keep their websites and FB pages up to date. And media need to stop being so bloody obsesses with the stupid RWC!
http://motoringevents.com

Run by a kiwi
Old 24 Sep 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3576596)   #88
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Quite good, that - had never heard of it before though!
Old 24 Sep 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3576791)   #89
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best post ever....

Quote:
The second is usually managed by people who talk the talk but fail to pass the test of walking the walk. The first have a committee of 2 - 3 effective people, often with 1 -2 absent.

The first will have meetings on the run and the second will sit down around the table once a month simply because it is a month since their last meeting.
Couldn't have put it better myself! Yes it is hard work and there are no financial rewards (just the opposite) but getting a swag of 'Thank You' emails is enough.

Don't ever underestimate how much that means to meeting or series organisers and volunteers.

Where would we be without Racetroll and her team? (And those volunteers in the rest of the country of course.) We wouldn't be at the track that is for sure as there would be no motor racing at all. Without volunteers, that means no large or small events.

What is RWC anyway? Rally World Championship?????
Old 24 Sep 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3576795)   #90
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
What is RWC anyway? Rally World Championship?????
Not as fast or interesting as that
Old 24 Sep 2015, 22:47 (Ref:3576801)   #91
Brent Shaw
Rookie

Brent Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Cheers for that, Brad. I saw some traffic coming from the TenTenths forum last night, so I finally got around to visiting the site after you've mentioned it to me a few times. Wow, it's huge!

Quote:
Quite good, that - had never heard of it before though!
It only went live 10 days ago, but it's starting to fill up with content now that it's getting noticed, and it'll get better every day. Still a few bugs to sort out, but it's getting there. I'm the owner/creator, by the way. G'day.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3576809)   #92
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Hi and good on you for doing something positive for the sport
Old 25 Sep 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3576934)   #93
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Its a concern, and it is going to take a long time to see change at the top end of the sport, meantime the grass roots stuff is booming
Which makes me wonder why continue with the 'top end'? Promote the good motorsport as it exists, and let the top tier grow out of what attracts spectators and competitors. It doesn't have to be something created especially for the purpose, especially not one-make semi-supported series, and it's probably better if it's not.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 00:10 (Ref:3577117)   #94
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I have contacted Colosseum Sports and they are not really interested in doing a motorsport streaming service unless they can get F1 and the like, which Sky has at the moment. They said there is a significant cost to them in providing a streaming service for anything.

Sooo... I was thinking why don't I set up a NZ Motorsport channel on YouTube and then anyone who has footage of local events can upload it there - would anyone be interested? If I set up the channel, people could just PM me for the password and then upload anything they wanted (has to be motorsport though!!) which would mean we could all get to see footage from meetings we can't get to.

Thoughts?
Old 27 Sep 2015, 06:16 (Ref:3577343)   #95
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Environmentalist177 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have contacted Colosseum Sports and they are not really interested in doing a motorsport streaming service unless they can get F1 and the like, which Sky has at the moment. They said there is a significant cost to them in providing a streaming service for anything.

Sooo... I was thinking why don't I set up a NZ Motorsport channel on YouTube and then anyone who has footage of local events can upload it there - would anyone be interested? If I set up the channel, people could just PM me for the password and then upload anything they wanted (has to be motorsport though!!) which would mean we could all get to see footage from meetings we can't get to.

Thoughts?
I have a Channel, with 3k subs which I'd share with people if they wanted to upload stuff onto it. Its got some footage on it from recent Manfeild events and some other stuff. See what you think, but I do think thats a good Idea. I know my mate is doing quite a bit of Filming at IRC this year, not sure how its all working though.

Its called NZ Motorsport Moments.

heres a link: https://goo.gl/kvEEYu
Old 27 Sep 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3577585)   #96
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Cool, I will go and subscribe
Old 27 Sep 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3577626)   #97
darscochuck
Rookie

darscochuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so can anyone tell me how many cars or who is racing cars in the forst round at Taupo. Would be nice to know who I am going to support this year? Is TKR racing 2 cars or was that another dream? how mant TLs etc. any information would be nice so that I can decide if I make the trip to Taupo.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3577642)   #98
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
my mate who works at v8 super fans nz said that at 6pm tonight they are releasing the round1 entry list plus some other event detail
Old 28 Sep 2015, 04:59 (Ref:3577677)   #99
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well based off what your mate says, then I'm not sure what's worse. V8ST and TLX at each other's throats or this proposed format. No enduros, wheel off/wheel on pitstops and a meagre field.
2kcup is seriously better than this supposed 'tier 1' crap. Except for GTNZ etc....
Very dissapointing and I think the new tier 1 series will struggle for crowds and sponsors etc.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3577679)   #100
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Here is the link to the article http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/?p=5143