Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 28 Sep 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3577682)   #101
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks 177. I had read the article. Also, Andre had no idea that he is racing in the series. Happy to be corrected though.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 05:53 (Ref:3577685)   #102
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Thanks 177. I had read the article. Also, Andre had no idea that he is racing in the series. Happy to be corrected though.
Hi Stu,

Whilst it's correct that Andre is not able to run at Taupo, I do know that his father Mark is doing everything he can to have his car on the grid at Taupo.

One thing that the "V8 Superfans" article has got totally wrong is that all categories competing in the new Premier Racing Series will be shown on Television, unfortunately that is not true, its a user pays deal, and unless a category can find a sponsor, or it competitors, 'pony' up with close to $10K per race meeting they will not be televised.

Toyota's, Sangyong's and NZ Touring cars are the only categories that actually have the budget necessary to have all their events televised, CMC will probably have 2 maybe 3 events televised, but its unlikely other categories will be able to fund TV.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3577687)   #103
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks Mark. Yes I thought the superfans article seemed somewhat skewed.
And yes I feel for Mark H at the moment as he has had to advertise left right and centre for a subsidised driver. Last time I spoke with him he told me he had 'tyre kickers' at best.
Shame really as he's a top bloke and the car is competitive.
Thanks for more clarification around the telly stuff.

Can you answer a previous question of mine which was to do with the D14 compound tyre. Are they running 260 or 280mm widths?

Cheers and hope your well.

Stu
Old 28 Sep 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3577817)   #104
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Thanks Mark. Yes I thought the superfans article seemed somewhat skewed.
And yes I feel for Mark H at the moment as he has had to advertise left right and centre for a subsidised driver. Last time I spoke with him he told me he had 'tyre kickers' at best.
Shame really as he's a top bloke and the car is competitive.
Thanks for more clarification around the telly stuff.

Can you answer a previous question of mine which was to do with the D14 compound tyre. Are they running 260 or 280mm widths?

Cheers and hope your well.

Stu
Stu,

The D14 Dunlop tyre we will be running is the Australian Supercar tyre which is 280 in width and the same overall dimension as our previous Hankook tyre, only a slightly softer compound than the Hankook, so theoretically a little faster, but we shall see at Taupo.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3577832)   #105
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here's three questions that hopefully someone or a combinations of someones will know the answers to - if there were 19 SuperTourers (one written off) plus 6 TLX's plus around 12 - 16 TL's still capable of running last season;

1. What has happened to the cars we are not seeing?
2. What has happened to the teams we are not seeing?
3. What has happened to the drivers we are not seeing?

We could have a grid of 30+ cars out there...
Old 28 Sep 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3577836)   #106
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Environmentalist177 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I has it a guess its all down to $$$$, there is meant to be a 'full' TL grid a V8SC apparently.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3577844)   #107
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Here's three questions that hopefully someone or a combinations of someones will know the answers to - if there were 19 SuperTourers (one written off) plus 6 TLX's plus around 12 - 16 TL's still capable of running last season;

I was kind of meaning specifics, like where's Ant Pedersen, John McIntyre, IMS, etc.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3577846)   #108
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:

Hi GB.
If you want my rather subjective take on your Q's, then please see below, and note these are just my opinions that I have formed after talking with many V8ST owners since the collapse started.

I think many V8ST owners have the coin to race, but they were sold the V8ST concept as something that is just so close to V8SC, but for a third of the price. So for those owners who could see the big picture, the ST platform provided much the same COTF chassis, a decent tyre and brake combo, aero that was effective, and seriously fast cars with build quality of an international standard. Hence why so many top V8SC drivers came over to dab their toes in it. Just look at the 2013 grand final at Puke.....still one of the best tin top V8 races of this era in my view.
I think many of those people realised that they could lease the drive to hopeful Aussies and Kiwis, and that makes for good business sense and is sustainable.
Now we seem to have this mish-mash format that harks back to the fledgling TLX days (i.e short races, no enduros, a crappy pit stop idea (hell, instead of doing a tyre off/on thingy, why not get the drivers to do ten star jumps when they come in - that kind of 'pit-stop' just makes our country look ridiculous).
TLX emerged as a seemingly knee-jerk reaction to V8ST (sausage fest) and provided a platform that had no relation to the V8SC COTF. Therefore people that raced these cars were unlikely to get noticed from across the ditch, thus making the class a glorified club race weekend. Just talk to Daniel Jilesen around his experiences with trying to be 'lured' into the category because he was an 'ex' V8SC driver. Its laughable.
As you well know, MSNZ and their interests in TLX dug many a toe in to the sand to try and stone-wall any decent category development with ST. The new management of ST had no idea what they were doing, and the concept began to die....even though every single person who drove one said they were one hell of a car on the 'Kooks'.
MSNZ jumped on this and instead of doing the right thing (by being impartial, and supporting MS in NZ - hence the acronym MSNZ) began to de-rail ST as best they could. More and more ST owners became insecure about the future of their cars and the category.
This of course then led to the so-called coming together of parties at Puke in April, where no one turned up. The racing was good I must say, but the damage was done, mainly by the incestuous people at MSNZ and the NZV8TC ( I don't care who disagrees with me here, but the two camps had a hand in each others pockets - they wanted ST to die slowly, to the point where it became quite embarrassing).
So they 'merged' which as we can now see means that they merge under the conditions of the old guard. If I owned an ST, I would not even bother entering it in to the new competition - what's the point? you would struggle to get sponsors to fulfil a $250k p.a. running budget, and any ROI would be next to zero.
The sport has become extremely damaged, and I do not for once blame ST. ST was and still is a great concept, it was just poorly managed. What damaged the sport has been the ongoing sausage fest, which is supposedly 'all sorted now' because a new entity has been formed. This clearly has not worked as you will be lucky to see 7 or 8 ST's. Most of the TLX's seem to be there (which says something), and if you owned a TL, then why bother wasting money making up the numbers, and potentially providing mobile chicanes for the faster cars.
The lack of any decent enduros that coincides with V8SC enduros is also telling. I would not expect to see much, if any, interest from budding Aussie guys and girls entering this new series.

No doubt my take on things will be pulled apart like well-cooked pork off the bone. But do I care....No
Old 29 Sep 2015, 00:38 (Ref:3577862)   #109
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thanks Stu, I was aware of and tend to agree with much of that but I was really not wanting to get back into a mud-slinging match, rather I was genuinely interested in what those (mainly ST) drivers, cars and teams are up to this season?

I have seen an IMS transporter with an Audi R8 on the side of it so I presume they are concentrating solely on GT racing, but what of the others? Until the last week or two there has been no activity on this forum and I haven't been to any events since HD in January so haven't got a lot more info than the above.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3577915)   #110
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Stu, I was aware of and tend to agree with much of that but I was really not wanting to get back into a mud-slinging match, rather I was genuinely interested in what those (mainly ST) drivers, cars and teams are up to this season?

I have seen an IMS transporter with an Audi R8 on the side of it so I presume they are concentrating solely on GT racing, but what of the others? Until the last week or two there has been no activity on this forum and I haven't been to any events since HD in January so haven't got a lot more info than the above.

Hi GB,

There have in fact been a few post's on what we are likely to see at the start of this seasons V8 Touring Car Championship, and other than being confident that there will be a least 20 V8 powered Touring Cars running in the same race under 3 different categories, it remains to be seen just how many ST cars actually turn up. As there is only 5 complying TLX's, owned by just 3 owners, its almost a given that they will all be there.

These days nobody in ST owns more than one car so I am expecting the turnout to be as low as 6ST's.

I don't share Stu's doom and gloom because 10 or 11 very fast V8 Touring cars, and all their different sounding exhaust notes etc, mixed in with at least 10 older, but still quick TL cars will make for exciting racing, as I can guarantee that there will be no follow the leader as there has been in V8ST and still is in V8 Supercar's.

So regardless of what went on before hand, its time to move on and variety is as they say the spice of life, so bring it on I am excited even if Stu is not.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 04:15 (Ref:3577919)   #111
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmm I thought there were 7 TLX cars? Richards 2 Toyotas, Ross 1 Nissan, Hughes 2 Holdens, Mclaughlin 1 Holden and Varney 1 Ford. Would be great if all the TLXs made an appearance this season.. along side a decent number of STs. Also agree with Mark.. it's not all doom and gloom. Both parties are talking.. which is a positive for the sport.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 04:30 (Ref:3577921)   #112
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Yes agreed it's time to move on, I was just wondering if anyone knew how some of the other teams like IMS, AV8, JMR, M2, etc. are spending their time these days, as well as the drivers.

What about Murph? Pederson? Manuell? Bell? Booth (I think he may have given it away but haven't seen him in ages)? etc.

Interesting to see Bairdo is back.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 04:51 (Ref:3577925)   #113
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hi Goat Boy,

JMR has shifted their focus to GT Racing, they had something big planned for that for a while but the funding never happened. Last time I hear JMR still had their ST, available for lease, however Mark may have an update on that.

IMS has shifted to GT too I believe. They purchased to R8's for the NZ Enduro series. I do believe they still have both their ST, again Mark will now more about their ST's than me.

AV8 Motorsport are doing GTRNZ in a BA or BF Falcon with an LS7 engine. Not sure about their ST.

M2 have modified their ST to go endurance racing in the NIE and SIE series.

Murphy is doing Targa this year.

Manuell, i have no clue what he's up too.

Booth, No Idea

Bell, No Idea

Pederson, DVS (Eggleston) and the V8SC Enduro's (SuperBlack)
Old 29 Sep 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3577932)   #114
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Environmentalist177 View Post
Hi Goat Boy,

JMR has shifted their focus to GT Racing, they had something big planned for that for a while but the funding never happened. Last time I hear JMR still had their ST, available for lease, however Mark may have an update on that.

IMS has shifted to GT too I believe. They purchased to R8's for the NZ Enduro series. I do believe they still have both their ST, again Mark will now more about their ST's than me.

AV8 Motorsport are doing GTRNZ in a BA or BF Falcon with an LS7 engine. Not sure about their ST.

M2 have modified their ST to go endurance racing in the NIE and SIE series.

Murphy is doing Targa this year.

Manuell, i have no clue what he's up too.

Booth, No Idea

Bell, No Idea

Pederson, DVS (Eggleston) and the V8SC Enduro's (SuperBlack)
Happy to Dot the i's and crossing the t's for you.

JMR never owned the cars, he leased 2 cars from Craig Oldfield, surrendered one after 2 seasons back to Oldfield who sold it to I'Sport, who defaulted on the payments and the car was repossessed by Oldfield and both Falcons are back in his possession in a shed somewhere in Taupo.

IMS never owned the two cars they ran for Ant Pedersen and Jonny Reid, the cars were and are still owned by Ants dad Paul Pederson. IMS don't own the Audi R8's again they merely run them for the owners.

AV8 have leased their V8ST Commodore to Team Kiwi for Baird to drive, however they will run the Falcodor, with all its ST drive line and running gear for Jacko's son Tony Anderson. They will run in both the Invitation V8 Touring class category and GT2 races over the weekend.

M2 have gone Endurance racing with their modified V8ST car.

Murphy has said he will never drive an ST again after falling out with just about everybody in the category including myself.

Paul Manuell is taking a break from racing, although his car can be leased.

Andy Booth, never owned a car, and ran out of sponsors 2 years ago and is focusing on making babies.

Edie Bell will join the combined V8 Touring car categories for the two South Island round's with a brand new engine etc.

Ant Pederson, races were his father wants him to which is not in V8ST.

Richard Moor is sitting on the fence, but meanwhile seems happy to pay for his co-drive with M2 this weekend.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 06:27 (Ref:3577936)   #115
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Happy to Dot the i's and crossing the t's for you.

JMR never owned the cars, he leased 2 cars from Craig Oldfield, surrendered one after 2 seasons back to Oldfield who sold it to I'Sport, who defaulted on the payments and the car was repossessed by Oldfield and both Falcons are back in his possession in a shed somewhere in Taupo.

IMS never owned the two cars they ran for Ant Pedersen and Jonny Reid, the cars were and are still owned by Ants dad Paul Pederson. IMS don't own the Audi R8's again they merely run them for the owners.

AV8 have leased their V8ST Commodore to Team Kiwi for Baird to drive, however they will run the Falcodor, with all its ST drive line and running gear for Jacko's son Tony Anderson. They will run in both the Invitation V8 Touring class category and GT2 races over the weekend.

M2 have gone Endurance racing with their modified V8ST car.

Murphy has said he will never drive an ST again after falling out with just about everybody in the category including myself.

Paul Manuell is taking a break from racing, although his car can be leased.

Andy Booth, never owned a car, and ran out of sponsors 2 years ago and is focusing on making babies.

Edie Bell will join the combined V8 Touring car categories for the two South Island round's with a brand new engine etc.

Ant Pederson, races were his father wants him to which is not in V8ST.

Richard Moor is sitting on the fence, but meanwhile seems happy to pay for his co-drive with M2 this weekend.
Thanks for that Insight Mark.

I do find it both interesting and funny that Murphy fell out with everyone in ST. I personally don't like him after he essentially told a girl in a ford shirt to bugger off when she asked for a photo.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 07:50 (Ref:3577943)   #116
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Hmm I thought there were 7 TLX cars? Richards 2 Toyotas, Ross 1 Nissan, Hughes 2 Holdens, Mclaughlin 1 Holden and Varney 1 Ford. Would be great if all the TLXs made an appearance this season.. along side a decent number of STs. Also agree with Mark.. it's not all doom and gloom. Both parties are talking.. which is a positive for the sport.
Promax,

There was only ever 6 TLX cars completed, Mclaughlin's TLX car was never ever finished and the chassis and some parts have been for sale on Trademe, for some time.

The ex-Mckensie prototype car, now owned by Steve Varney has been modified to run V8ST's Brembo brake package, to run in Endurance racing, and they have stated they have no interest in running in Sprint racing events.

This leaves 5 TLX cars still in play, 2 owned by Mick Ross, 2 by Stephen and Tony Richards, and 1 owned by Lance Hughes.

Given the cost of building a new TLX or ST, versus buying a second hand one. its highly unlikely that there will be any new car built from either stable, for a very long time, least in my opinion.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3577947)   #117
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
McLaughlin has the Ross Holden. You're probably thinking about the ex Coleman (yet to be completed) Holden.. which I believe the Hughes team now owns.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 09:55 (Ref:3577964)   #118
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
McLaughlin has the Ross Holden. You're probably thinking about the ex Coleman (yet to be completed) Holden.. which I believe the Hughes team now owns.
Yes, you are indeed correct, but the numbers stay the same agreed? As in only 6 TLX built, 1 now modified for enduro's leaves 5 TLX that will be on the grid at Taupo.

St not much better off for Taupo out of a total of 22 cars full built, 1 virtually brand new and never been raced and available for 200K. Many available for as little as $125K, a hell of a lot of car for that sort of money which is why M2 have gone Endurance racing and 'Towelling Up' $600K pucker FIA GT3 cars in the process, if it was not for the wheel studs breaking, nothing lasts for ever, they would have one at Teretonga by a country mile.

Whilst its disappointing, the fact is that if Simon had stayed in V8ST spec, he was never ever going to win a race were in the enduro's he has a real good chance of winning out-right. Same situation with the Varney's etc.

I can see other ST will go the same way, or GT1 racing, or both, however, what the driver can not get is National recognition for his efforts because the Enduro's are not televised, nor are the NZGT races.

The new Premier Series is still the only way to achieve National recognition and it goes with out saying if you can't achieve this you have got very little chance if ever getting independent sponsorship monies.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3577979)   #119
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Great updates from everyone, thanks!

Brings me back to my thoughts on getting coverage for events and classes other than the Premier series. Sponsors like to be seen, so you get punters through the gate and/or you give them the means to follow your series. The key is through a great website which is updated daily/hourly/as needed and has the ability to stream content to mobile devices and smart TV's. Times are changing and the sport needs to keep up. IMO anyway.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3578119)   #120
darscochuck
Rookie

darscochuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read on good old Facebook that the 2nd hughes car will be running at Taupo with ENZED sponsorship. that makes 6 TLX cars now. I wish the NZTC would help the promotors out by updating their page and providing an accurate update of entrants. Is Kevin Williams not defending his championship? Has any alterations other than tyres been made to the cars for attempted parity? after reading comments I am a little excited as the new series will start out better than many previous years and it will only get better
Old 29 Sep 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3578128)   #121
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Yeah hopefully more will come out to play once it's been running a while in its new format. There are a couple of ST's for sale on Trademe for around $170k if anyone's interested...
Old 30 Sep 2015, 03:11 (Ref:3578195)   #122
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darscochuck View Post
Just read on good old Facebook that the 2nd hughes car will be running at Taupo with ENZED sponsorship. that makes 6 TLX cars now. I wish the NZTC would help the promotors out by updating their page and providing an accurate update of entrants. Is Kevin Williams not defending his championship? Has any alterations other than tyres been made to the cars for attempted parity? after reading comments I am a little excited as the new series will start out better than many previous years and it will only get better
DarsoƧhuck.

I just heard the same news myself today, apparently Lance Hughes purchased the ex Coleman Chassis, and is in the process of completing a complete TLX race car by the Taupo Round, to be driven by Tom Alexander who won the Toyota 86 Series last season, and is a protege of Kenny Smith, so good driver in a brand new car should add to the spectacle, lets hope so anyway and great to see some new blood entering the Touring car ranks.

I think once the Series is underway things will get much better as NZTC have hired a very good PR guy, to manage the Facebook and websites etc.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3578483)   #123
darscochuck
Rookie

darscochuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so then according to all the varied reports out there then there is at least another 2 cars to be added to the field provided by v8superfans. 19 cars and growing by the day. 6 TLX 6ST and 7 TL's. who knows who else might come out of the closet. would be nice to have 24 but awesome work by all involved.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3578498)   #124
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Yeah let's hope the momentum builds now that everyone is pulling in the same direction.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3578516)   #125
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Did anyone see the thing on Motornews last night about iSport Racing and Scott Mclaughlin Racing getting involved in the V8ST 2013 Ltd Liquidation case?