Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 6 Feb 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1219013)   #1
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Corners...

I think that this topic was touched upon in the My Tracks Thread, but I just want to make a separate topic about it...

What are some of the greatest corners in the world, past and present, you can choose more then one...

Explain briefly why you believe so...

Maps would be apprectiated...

I'll start ... This doesn't look like much, and I will try and get a photo the next time I go, but click on the top-left track, and the top right corner of this configuration, and its a long left hander. It's not a double apex, its a late apex...
Racing Circuits.net has a great representation of the track (look no the top left of the track)...

I LOVE IT!!!...
Old 6 Feb 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1219031)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fuchsröhre to Ardenauer Forst - Nordshleife.
Absolutely balls to the wall speed. Steep drop through several slight flat-out kinks into a steeply cimbing and tightening left hander which spits you out into a couple of the slowest corners on the track. Jacky Stewart said the g's going up the hill into the left hander were so great you couldn't lift your foot off the throttle, which says it all really.

Masta Kink - Spa (old)
Not a kink as such, but a set of fast esses, left then right. Approached flat out in sixth, at over 190 mph in the wingless 3 litre period of the late 60s. Then a quick lift of the throttle and no more into a fast left-right combo with a steel barrier on the outside of the left, so stop you going into a house (though not quite extending far enough to cover the end of a stone barn, as Jackie Stewart found out in 1966) and a railway line on the outside of the right.

Jim Clark Curve - Brands Hatch
Not hugely fast, but minimal run off due to Foulston Centre in the way of expanding it.
Heavily undulating, on camber and off camber in the same corner. When it forms part of the Indy loop is far and away the most technically challenging corner on the track.

Massanet - Monaco
OK, it looks faster than it is, but there is really no room for error, a long, bumpy corner that demands blind faith on the entry.

Swimming Pool entry - Monaco
Blindingly quick left-right combo, awesome to watch on TV, and I'm sure even more awesome at the track.

The Esses / Dipper - Bathurst
What a crazy combination of corners. Heavy braking from high speed into two blind corners, the last of which plunges away heavily.

Six Frerès - Rouen-les-Essarts
The best corner for four wheel drifting there ever was. Fangio drifting through this fast right hander in 1957 is one of the enduring images of F1. Highly dangerous though, as Jo Schlesser proved in 1968 when his Honda's experimental air cooled engine cut out and Jo crashed ending up in the middle of the track burning fiercely.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1219054)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
130R (before 2003) a great corner, everyone knows it so i wont go into masses of detail about it.

As P said Fuchsröhre, great corner .......

lol i like pretty much all the corners round Caldwell park .... Each presents its own challenge but i do like coppice and charlies.

Ive Always liked The Bomb hole at Snetterton.

urm there are many more that I like but I'll add more later.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1219077)   #4
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Copse,
... its just awesome when your in the coparate boxes opposite the pits, (yes ive been there) ... I think its great becuase you take so much speed in one forceful directional change ... but also its so important to get it right if you want a good preperation for the next bit ...

Maggorts / Becketts,
... their just unique, on TV its awesome watching the F1 cars make mincemeat out of them ..., (long range shot from the hanger straight)
Old 7 Feb 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1219083)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll throw in some Australian contenders:

- The (Fosters) chicane on the back side of the Surfers Paradise track (I love watching cars pound over the kerbs in this fast chicane)
- The dogleg at Oran Park
- Reid Park, McPhillamy Park and the Esses at Bathurst - in fact all the way from the Cutting down to Forest's Elbow.
- The entry to The Chase at Bathurst
- Turn One at Eastern Creek
- The fast Waite Chicane on the back side of Albert Park - F1 cars look so cool there.
- Doohan Corner and the Hayshed at Phillip Island
- The Turn 8 Sweeper on the current Adelaide street circuit

Last edited by mac; 7 Feb 2005 at 00:37.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1219124)   #6
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One word: Corkscrew
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1219446)   #7
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got two corners to add: Eau Rouge and Parabolica (the one at Monza).

Last edited by the_royksopp; 7 Feb 2005 at 14:48.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1219450)   #8
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stavelot in Spa
Lesmo 1 in Monza
Savelli in Mugello
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1219507)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the corners of Silverstone, the snake squence at Suzuka,then 130R! The orignial one that is.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1219522)   #10
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Suzuka,then 130R! The orignial one that is.
thats what i said .
Old 7 Feb 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1219529)   #11
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always liked Arnage and Indianapolis at La Sarthe-
Hard, hard uphill braking, a 90 degree left, short straight, and a 90 degree right-almost like a big chicane-a great combo in my eyes
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 7 Feb 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1219869)   #12
BigMac1212
Rookie

BigMac1212 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
One word: Corkscrew
That's probably the only turn I know of that doesn't have a Turn # in it.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1220091)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Every track in the UK has a name for all its corners, turn numbers aren't used at all
Old 8 Feb 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1220095)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
btw, this is the fuchsrohre (fox hole I think that means) in 1972:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.jacq...0name%20q6.JPG
Old 8 Feb 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1220163)   #15
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
yer P it means fox hole .
Old 13 Feb 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1224436)   #16
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
well I also like "Triple" at Oschersleben .......
Old 26 Feb 2005, 23:26 (Ref:1236955)   #17
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
um The final turn at sebring, seeing the big prototypes suspinsion working. how about the Karrasel at the nordshifle huh! bout the only corner to compare to that is that little track in Thuner valley its self Bristol.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1237028)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, any corner at Sebring tests suspension
The Karussel is interesting rather than great, IMO, but I suppose there is reason to call it the latter.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1237090)   #19
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
some of the mosport corners look really tricky !!!
Old 27 Feb 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1237171)   #20
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eau Rouge
Woodcote - in the days of the high speed right-left-right flick
Jacsuzki Sweep (Kyalami). Gabrio, somebody - tell me if this is spelt right!
The last turn at Fuji (before the chicanes were added)
Mulsanne Corner (pre 86)
Mosport turn 2
last turn at Sebring
Old 27 Feb 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1237176)   #21
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
i always think the 100r is better than the last corner at fuji :x
Old 27 Feb 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1237225)   #22
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
i always think the 100r is better than the last corner at fuji :x
Quite probably it is now - I agree. But there was a time when you entered this corner v. quick and just kept building momentum on to the straight.

BTW - does it have a name??
Old 27 Feb 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1237267)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think its Jukskei Sweep lj
Old 27 Feb 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1237279)   #24
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the fast left-right section at oschersleben,
Duffus Dip at knochill is great fun,i know from experience as is the blind chaicane a few corners later
Old 27 Feb 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1237374)   #25
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
do you mean the first corner or triple ????
as the esses are all right then left :x