Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Apr 2000, 22:57 (Ref:7146)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Who is the better talent? Could it be Dale Jr.?

In 1998, both drivers entered NASCAR Busch Grand National on pretty much a full-time basis with Tony Stewart having 14 previous BGN starts compared to Dale Jr's 9. Tony started 22 of the 31 BGN events that year and would have finished 9th in the BGN points standings if you took his average finish in the 22 races he competed in and multiplied it by 31. Tony had five top ten finishes and no wins in his 22 BGN starts in 1998. Dale Earnhardt Jr. competed in all 31 BGN races that year, won 7 races, had 16 top five finshes and won the BGN championship. Dale Jr. also won a BGN race in just his 16th BGN start. Tony Stewart never won a BGN race in his 36 starts.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. won his first Winston Cup race in only his 12th start. Tony Stewart won his first Winston Cup race in his 25th Winston Cup start.

So who is the better talent? It kind of points to Dale Earnhardt Jr doesn't it?
Old 13 Apr 2000, 23:24 (Ref:7147)   #2
Total Racing
Rookie

Total Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't really compare based on the stats above. Jr. stepped into a complete program that had run in 97 with Steve Park. Park won a couple of races and was BGN Rookie of the Year. Jr. had a wealth of experience in the pits with the Eury's and a great program at DEI.

Stewart raced part time for JGR while also racing a full IRL season. Sure the car won with Bobby Labonte, but there was little, if any, testing and the program barely existed before Stewart started in the car. He had a very young crew that only worked his races, not Labonte's.

You can't really compare these drivers based on the stats for their first year or two. Let's look at this again at the end of the year and see where Jr. compares after one full season to Stewart's first year. That would be a better comparison.
Old 14 Apr 2000, 02:19 (Ref:7148)   #3
Skid Jackson
Rookie

Skid Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Joe I'm leaning towards little E Myself! Although I think my choice is based mostly on emotion. I used to like TS but he's had a few "episodes" that have soured me a bit on him. Little E seems to have his head screwed on a little better. but I think TR has a good point, we'll see at the end of the season!! Right know my monies on Little E!
Old 14 Apr 2000, 05:06 (Ref:7149)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd hate to start a fight where the word "Antiquated" comes up, hbut i wonder how Jr would go without a roof. I like both of them equally.

I really don't know too much on the subject, but it would have to be a lot easier to have a father and a mentor in Snr, which would open a fair few doors, against coming through from dirt track racing.

But can i say this:
Give them 10 years and count the trophys then. I guess Jr would come out on top.
Old 14 Apr 2000, 14:07 (Ref:7150)   #5
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree Crash. I think that little E has been successful simply because Dad opened doors for him. He has not had to work near as hard as Tony, and thus little E will be weaker when it comes time to struggle. Tony has more talent in my opinion. Look at all of his successes in other racing.
Old 14 Apr 2000, 20:37 (Ref:7151)   #6
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not forget that Stewart finished 4th in the points in his rookie year, a remarkable feat when you consider some of the drivers he beat out. He also won three races for the year; we'll have to see how many Dale Jr. wins in 2000, as well as where he finishes in points. As far as Busch results, Dale Jr was driving for a team which had been successful in previous years with Steve Park, while Stewart's team was not even committed to a full season. And in 1997-98, remember that Stewart was winning IRL races and titles while running the Busch races as well.
Old 14 Apr 2000, 23:26 (Ref:7152)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as the, "Lets wait and see how Jr. does this year" approach, does anyone here think Jr in a second Dale Earnhardt Sr. ride with Richard Childress engines is on par with what Tony Stewart had last year in a second Joe Gibbs Pontiac? I don't think Jr. has the equipment or team to be able to finish in the top ten in the points let alone 4th. Richard Childress doesn't produce the engines or the chassis as he used to. He has admitted that his operation fell a little behind the technology curve in recent years.

[This message has been edited by Joe Fan (edited 15 April 2000).]
Old 16 Apr 2000, 01:06 (Ref:7153)   #8
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[This message has been edited by John B (edited 16 April 2000).]
Old 16 Apr 2000, 05:23 (Ref:7154)   #9
indyracefan
Rookie

indyracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

driving talent - Tony Stewart, as he's raced midget's & sprints on dirt bull-rings with great success and graduated to Indy-car where he also did quite well. So based on his diverse & successful background Stewart get's the nod, as Mini-E has pretty much raced only NASCAR & it's feeder series.

television & media talent - Mini-E as Stewart is pretty much an @ss with his mouth & attitude.