Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Sep 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2956706)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Petit Le Mans - ALMS/ILMC - ROAD ATLANTA 9/28-10/1

Road Atlanta Home Page

Let us know if you are staying at the circuit and where you plan to camp or if you are staying in a hotel, or coming for race day only or the duration, or whatever...

The Turn 4 crew will be in, well turn 4, in a bunch of tents and under a bunch of canopies and a variety of flags; the usual spot, the usual group and the usual flags. Come by for a cold one or just to say hello. It is just about become the "unofficial" 10/10ths gathering as there may be (now) about 6 members camping there.

There has been some work done around the infield to make way for more cars and more camping, most notably clearing and grading around the turns 3/4 "comfort" station and in turn 9 behind the "big hill"; think the Don is expecting a crowd or something.

Looking forward to my 12th or something. Hopefully this will be better than the last two for me, as there have been some hiccups outside of the rain from 09.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 03:25 (Ref:2956720)   #2
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this will be my first Petit with my own car.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 03:36 (Ref:2956724)   #3
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there!

Staying in a nearby motel.

Not sure if I'll be there for Friday or not, but I'll def be there all day Saturday!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2956837)   #4
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Hopefully this will be better than the last two for me, as there have been some hiccups outside of the rain from 09.
Hiccups? Do tell.

This will be my first PLM. After attending the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year, I thought it'd be fun if I took my dad to get a taste of what I saw. He and I work together and we have clients based in Atlanta so we're flying out early Friday morning and taking these clients to lunch that afternoon. With any luck, we'll get out to the track around 2 or so and catch some of the qualifying action.

While in France, I met a guy from Atlanta and he'll be camping at the track. I'm not exactly sure where, but once we're there, we'll catch up with him and go from there.

We're staying in Atlanta proper - in the Buckhead area - and will be about an hour away from the track. I'm told I need to be in the general area by 8AM to avoid any major traffic - does that sound about right?

I'm really looking forward to this trip. I love the track and I'm told the views are 10 times better than those at La Sarthe.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2956858)   #5
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't missed one yet! Really excited about this one but very worried about the future of this sport to wit I am addicted.

Will have a canopy set up at top of braking zone down into 10a.
Have camped, even slept in my car on those lean years. Prefer hotel, staying in north Atlanta at the Wingate 45 min south.

Will get by to see you guys this time. My canopy is welcome to all.
Will mark green top with 10/10's.

Rick
Old 17 Sep 2011, 13:22 (Ref:2956862)   #6
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those who havent been, bring your endurance footwear.
It is one hilly place. I used to take my bike but it is so hilly I was either flying down or pushing up so stopped riding. Expect healthy crowds from friday on. Saturday will be huge.
Race day I try to get there by 7am to get a decent parking spot as it will be so congested it is difficult to drive around the infield during the race. Plan to walk and walk some more.
Carry a light folding bag chair and check out all the fantastic areas.

What a great track.

ENJOY!
Rick
Old 17 Sep 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2956921)   #7
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there starting Thursday morning.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2957075)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcorolla View Post
It is one hilly place. I used to take my bike but it is so hilly I was either flying down or pushing up so stopped riding.
Bikes going down those hills are great fun, especially at night until you reach the damn speed bumps (sleeping policemen) at the bottom of the hills.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2957156)   #9
gregtummer
Veteran

I'll be there Friday too!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2957194)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard View Post
Hiccups? Do tell.
Was stuck at the rain soaked track with the stomach flu in 09 and the entire family got the stomach flu Friday before the race last year, which meant I watched the start and the finish of the race on the TV. Did make it to the circuit for a little bit on race day though, but missed most of it.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2957729)   #11
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Bikes going down those hills are great fun, especially at night until you reach the damn speed bumps (sleeping policemen) at the bottom of the hills.
One of the funniest things ever was a couple of guys on roller blades on the roads on the outside of 10A-B at night just flying down the hill and then you heard, "OH $***!!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2958087)   #12
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Looking forward to make it 6 out of 6 ILMC races so far. Will be working Turn 4 for Thu-Sat (I´ll be easy to spot in my orange suit). Arriving early this year, flying over on Thursday, might visit to watch some of the early testing on Sunday or Monday. Trackside from Tuesday onwards.

So it´s looks like I´ll have a chat with you FoD and the rest of the Turn 4 crew then!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2958089)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There has been some work done around the infield to make way for more cars and more camping, most notably clearing and grading around the turns 3/4 "comfort" station and in turn 9 behind the "big hill"; think the Don is expecting a crowd or something.
Joe - They bulldozed your campsite. I'm not sure how I will find the ****er at 3am without orienting myself towards the camel gt sign.

Quote:
Yeah, great fun...
Old 19 Sep 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2958099)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Joe - They bulldozed your campsite. I'm not sure how I will find the ****er at 3am without orienting myself towards the camel gt sign.

Yeah, great fun...
I know I saw the campsite pics. And you will have to look for a new landmark anyways, as our Camel GT banner was stolen last year.

I think my pops and I will be arriving mid day on Wednesday. Still trying to work out the logistics, but with my much longer drive now to get to ATL I am looking at staying in Louisville Tuesday night and then getting an early start to the rest of the drive Wednesday.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2958109)   #15
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'm thinking about going this year. I just moved to Greenville (about 2 hours away) this summer. I'd like to arrive Saturday (less than ideal I know - did it a few times at Sebring with less than ideal results). What time should I plan on being there to not spend 30 minutes looking for parking?
Old 19 Sep 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2958171)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I know I saw the campsite pics. And you will have to look for a new landmark anyways, as our Camel GT banner was stolen last year.

I think my pops and I will be arriving mid day on Wednesday. Still trying to work out the logistics, but with my much longer drive now to get to ATL I am looking at staying in Louisville Tuesday night and then getting an early start to the rest of the drive Wednesday.
I'm sorry to hear about the banner Joe... I don't know who would do something like that. You're and your pops are more than welcome to camp by us if you'd like.

Glad you can make it. If you can get out in Louisville, try to do so. It's a great little city.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2958173)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I'm thinking about going this year. I just moved to Greenville (about 2 hours away) this summer. I'd like to arrive Saturday (less than ideal I know - did it a few times at Sebring with less than ideal results). What time should I plan on being there to not spend 30 minutes looking for parking?
I have never arrived later than Thursday, but with my ticket the racetrack provided a statement that if you could not arrive prior to 9am they could not guarantee you will make it in for the start. I recommend getting there very early as the morning of race day is a fantastic time.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2958197)   #18
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Still trying to work out the logistics, but with my much longer drive now to get to ATL I am looking at staying in Louisville Tuesday night and then getting an early start to the rest of the drive Wednesday.
I read someplace that an Interstate highway bridge crossing the Ohio River into Louisville has closed and is causing all sorts of problems getting into Louisville. Good Luck!
Old 19 Sep 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2958205)   #19
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I have never arrived later than Thursday, but with my ticket the racetrack provided a statement that if you could not arrive prior to 9am they could not guarantee you will make it in for the start. I recommend getting there very early as the morning of race day is a fantastic time.
That bad huh? Are there any back ways or free parking areas to take advantage of at that time? I know at Sebring I could skip about 20 minutes in lines by turning off early and walking about 1/4 mile.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2958213)   #20
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
That bad huh? Are there any back ways or free parking areas to take advantage of at that time? I know at Sebring I could skip about 20 minutes in lines by turning off early and walking about 1/4 mile.
I-85 South to Hwy 53 is the only way in/out. The support paddock will be empty on Saturday for the parking of cars. There is usually parking at Lanier Speedway across the street, but that's a heck of a walk for a day of walking, not to mention hauling a cooler, etc. No parking pass required ($40). They just run out space in the infield.

You may want to call the track.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2958247)   #21
gregtummer
Veteran

They said that Lanier Speedway is about a mile and a half from the track.

There are shuttles that run, but there isn't really a schedule for them.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2958259)   #22
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Google maps is showing the two about .2 miles from each other. Can anyone not making $40 dollars by my parking verify? I just backpack; no cooler.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2958283)   #23
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Google maps is showing the two about .2 miles from each other. Can anyone not making $40 dollars by my parking verify? I just backpack; no cooler.
I'm basing my information off of what the Road Atlanta person said to me on the phone.

She said Lanier Speedway is "right across the street" from Road Atlanta, but it is about one and a half miles to turn 6.

Parking there is free and there are shuttles that run, but there is no set schedule.

This is what I was told.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2958291)   #24
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I read someplace that an Interstate highway bridge crossing the Ohio River into Louisville has closed and is causing all sorts of problems getting into Louisville. Good Luck!
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely have to look into it.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2958302)   #25
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Flying in for my 5th PLM in a row, love this race! Infield parking pass well worth the $$$ IMO. I'll be at the track Wednesday AM.
This could be the last Petit with a big grid, heck it could be the last Petit so I'm going to get the most of it.