Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Sep 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1090397)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Dates moved?

http://www.sportscarpros.com/cottonb...on/default.htm

June 5 essais preliminaires, June 18-19 race? Can it be true? It's Scott Atherton's dream, if it is...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2004, 01:35 (Ref:1090454)   #2
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is great news if true. ALMS can fit 4 races into the first half of the season now (Sebring mid march, then 2 in april, and 1 in early-mid may)
Old 9 Sep 2004, 03:34 (Ref:1090506)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this is true than this is a potentially huge move in sportscars that can have major effects on the ALMS especially. sportscars seem to be moving in the right direction right now and its great to see the people at the top making smart decisions.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 04:52 (Ref:1090528)   #4
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, in yesterday's interview with the organizer of the 1000km in Spa he said that Spa, based on the latest news, will be on the calender in May (?!).
Old 9 Sep 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1090546)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Sorry mates, but the hidden page for the 2005 schedules on ACO's site shows :
- PQs : 1st of May
- race : 11/12th of June

And it's still provisionnal, due to administration agreement...

Old 9 Sep 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1090596)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the linked site above:
Quote:
an announcement is expected at the end of November.
Look's like we'll have to wait and see in a couple of months time. June 19 is the planned date of the Indianpolis GP for 2005.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 08:05 (Ref:1090602)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there are plusses and minuses to the test day being moved.

Late April/early May is quite good in terms of publicity for the event IMHO. I think less journos (from the general press) will go to the test day if it is only a couple of weeks before the race.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1090634)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why not can the test altogether?
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1090648)   #9
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
I guess as Le Mans is quite a unique track, testing time is deemed necessary as the cars run in significantly different trim to other events.

The race just has to be on the 11th, as it's my birthday (and a significant one!).
Cheers
Mike
Old 9 Sep 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1090686)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I already have my holiday booked to fit around the 11/12th dates so I hope it isnt changed
Old 9 Sep 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1090734)   #11
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
I already have my holiday booked to fit around the 11/12th dates so I hope it isnt changed
Your not the only one who has booked their holiday around 11/12th dates, I to am hoping it's not changed!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1090736)   #12
hindy
Racer

hindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhindy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's a bit ambitious to get 4 races in before LM... you really need 3-4 weeks to ship (not fly)cars across the water - keeping down costs...

However it's certainly a step in the right direction... now all we need is for Sebring and PLM to be points scorers for the LMES and the LMES round pre and post LM to be on sensible dates ie not clashing with or within 21 days of ALMS rounds...

OK so it's a dream but it's my dream

JH
Old 9 Sep 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1090828)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Sorry mates, but the hidden page for the 2005 schedules on ACO's site shows :
- PQs : 1st of May
- race : 11/12th of June
Hey, Fab, conspiracy time:

That page wasn't "hidden" yesterday morning. It was available in the English pages, but not linked in the French ones - but if you took out the "_gb" portion of the page name, the French one was there.

Then, last night they were gone! I notice your link is to a google cache of the page, not the page itself.

Hmmm....
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1090839)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I spoke to Just Tickets this morning who are saying that they think the dates have moved!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1090866)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Where's Gilles?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1090895)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

The test data is vital to the teams that will compete...otherwise, they would have only a few days to make changes, etc., to their set-ups....it also would require them to bring lots of extra hardware needed to change set-ups so that they would have a wider range of options available to them...

The test days help the teams to work from a baseline set-up in late April and to learn from it so they can prepare the car properly for the big event in June....

Side Note:

Four events could be done before test days, but I also think that it would be a stretch....thus I agree with the points Hindy makes...

But three would not be a stretch (including Sebring)....

and finally, a question:

Would moving LM back a week would have a big impact on the 2nd half of the ALMS schedule?

....I believe running Mid-Ohio one week after LM would be a tough chore for teams here....and moving it back, or to another spot in the calendar, would impact other events and timing set up at that course...

This could be good in some respects, but a nightmare in others...

I like the idea of condensing that timeframe between test days and LM....

But be careful what you wish for...it could raise other issues that would be just as problematic for competitors or fans...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1090905)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
With LRP being wedded to the July 4 weekend, I'd have to guess that Mid-Ohio would have to move to May. Is that feasible?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1091222)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if theres only going to be a two week gap between the test weekend and the race weekend, can i be the first person to ask the big question...

"fab, do you have a spare bedroom i can sleep in for a week?"

Old 9 Sep 2004, 20:15 (Ref:1091249)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
With LRP being wedded to the July 4 weekend, I'd have to guess that Mid-Ohio would have to move to May. Is that feasible?

Mid-Ohio is really in North-Central Ohio....I can tell you that weather next door to their west in central Indiana can either be:

1. Absolutely Beautiful....

2. Raining like a Monsoon, but at least warm...

3. Rainy and Cold....

As far as Mid-Ohio's schedule goes, I'm not sure....but I thought they had their big events kick into gear in early June over there...

Maybe it could work out to where Lime Rock runs July 4 weekend, Mid-Ohio is the "Bridge" event the following weekend to get everyone heading west, and then the Series goes to the West Coast for Sears Point and Portland.....

I guess we won't know
BTW....I could be VERY wrong on this....but when the ALMS has raced at Mid-Ohio in the past, it has almost always been the last weekend in June...and when the return to Mid-Ohio was announced, I somehow recall that the focus was to keep the event in the Last weekend in June...like it was before the date conflicts that took place in 2003 kept Mid-Ohio off their schedule for that year only...

But I have no idea how concrete any of that is, or if it can be moved....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Sep 2004, 05:04 (Ref:1091545)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
if theres only going to be a two week gap between the test weekend and the race weekend, can i be the first person to ask the big question...

"fab, do you have a spare bedroom i can sleep in for a week?"

Ask missus Fab !

Seriously, I don't think that the neighbourhood will accept to see the Hunaudières' straight closed two times in June...

Last edited by Fab; 10 Sep 2004 at 12:28.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1091649)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hindy
now all we need is for Sebring and PLM to be points scorers for the LMES
John,

Thank you I agree with you there 100% this is something that I have been saying for the last year or so.

As for the date changes, sounds good lets just hope the ACO confirm the dates soon so that I can book the week of work.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:28 (Ref:1091675)   #22
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much doubt the aco would move the dates to suit the US teams, as Fab says the local buisnesses would not want the disruption twice so close togeather.

It would also hinder the teams making the permitted changes to the cars or repair damage.

Why not make the Pre Q's optional, then the poorer/skinflint teams can save some money and let those loaded/serious about it test.

Much easier to refuse most of the US teams an entry, as this year!

How will the ferry companys know which weekend to put there prices up if the aco don't confirm soon?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1091895)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Why not make the Pre Q's optional, then the poorer/skinflint teams can save some money and let those loaded/serious about it test.
They've been optionnal in the past for the teams that were already qualified...

But I saw in April, in the pits, that it's the possibility to find the last sponsors for the race, to gather the last euros, and show that the team is alive & kicking (Epsilon...).

It's pricey, but probably essential too...

For the dates, I think ACO need to thinks :
- State allowance (to rent the open road)
- LMES/ALMS/FIA-GT schedules or plans, at least, to set an interresting planning (I know, they usualy tend to plan without asking, but now, with the LMES...)

Last edited by Fab; 10 Sep 2004 at 12:30.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1091997)   #24
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm here...

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Where's Gilles?
Ok, my colleague reported me this morning that Stephane Ratel could have ask to such a report.

An announcmen,t could be made just after Spa.

It entails some consequences...

The main drawback for the racing time is the shortener time between PQ and Race, and this tuime is usually used to signe the last but not the least sponsoring contracts, linked obviously with PQ performances. If the PQ is so near to the race, more racing teams will have finandial difficulties and the ACo would have to plan a pretty long supplying list. (remember what happened this year)

The main advantage is for american and far european racing teams. This schedule would imply a 3 weeks-long stay in La Sarthe with only one transport.

It gonna be a nightmare for hotel and campsite booking, especially for me if I don't know by advance who's taking part to the race but on the other way I'll sell 3 weeks of accomodation instead of only 2

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 11 Sep 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1092963)   #25
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that it is 99% sure to be moved.

The ACO must be expecting a large number of entrys from the US to justify this move.