Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Apr 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3723501)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone 24hrs 2017

Another running of the event done, another thoroughly enjoyable week-end. Still don't understand exactly why I like it so much, but I do.

I seem to have cursed a couple of cars. I was supporting the Team Abba BMW because it's Shorty and he's a good bloke, and the Lotus Exige because we had a lovely chat with them in the garage on Thursday evening whilst showing a colleague who was new to Rescue at circuits around the pits. What was nice about that was every garage we went to were very welcoming and let him have a good look over roll cages, door fixings and all sorts of other bits and pieces.

On the event, just three minor points stood out as wanting attention.

1) It's really not necessary to wave the Code 60 for a whole lap's worth of cars. They all react pretty quickly, even the ones who are a little slow on the uptake. 30 seconds then stationary is much easier and much less tiring on the marshals. Especially when the breeze is in exactly the wrong direction as it was on my post, resulting in a purple stick or the need to use both arms to wave it.
2) Same goes for the green afterwards. They've seen it, they're racing, bring it in. Partly because it's pointless after that, and partly because if you're waving that you can't use the radio or wave anything else without first putting it down.
3) White numbers on pale orange background are useless at night, particularly when you're on a post where every car dazzles you twice before you get a side view. Take a look at #138 and make that the standard. Nice and clear and easy to read day and night.
4) These days everyone has an FM radio on their mobile phone which is perfect for following the commentary. Except the commentary has gone to 1602MW. Which nobody has on a portable radio any more. Please Silverstone, go back to FM. Failing that, an excellent gift for the marshals would be a personal radio tuned to the commentary frequency.

What was good was the comparative absence of track limits clogging up the airways and the general running of the event. It's clear the Race Director wants the drivers to run to a certain standard and also that they appreciate our efforts.

Going back next year? Definitely.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3723554)   #2
rotation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stirlingshire, UK
rotation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to apologise for my radio calls over the weekend. I am not by any means a post chief, and I don't think I got a single car number correct on the Saturday.
Old 3 Apr 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3723582)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I pulled a shift on post 29 Saturday evening from about 5 thru to midnight. First time at the 24 in the dark (and you were lucky not to be saddled with me this year Woolley, although I did take Sketch's place in a way as he went home at 6pm).

Watching the cars as it got darker and the sun finally set behind Club was brilliant. I had a brief break just after 8pm and went up in the Vale grandstand, watching them come down the Vale and through the complex into Club was superb.

I must apologise for my rather confused "two cars in the gravel, no idea what happened there!" call though. I had genuinely seen them turn in, looked back up to Stowe for the next gaggle and then heard the crunch which put paid to the 144 (I think) BMW for some time.

And I agree on Short's BMW, although it did cause a half dozen or so other cars some brown trouser moments braking for the turn in point at Vale!

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A bonus point was getting successfully assessed for Flag grade

Next year I might do the whole thing!
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3723597)   #4
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to all the Marshals and officials which made the event happen. As a spectator it was one of the more enjoyable events at Silverstone - they can sometimes be dampened by the inclement weather (as if).

Everyone seemed relaxed and in a jovial mood as we circulated.

Spectators thread here - if you're interested http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149864

Cheers!
Old 3 Apr 2017, 23:40 (Ref:3723598)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Watching the cars as it got darker and the sun finally set behind Club was brilliant. I had a brief break just after 8pm and went up in the Vale grandstand, watching them come down the Vale and through the complex into Club was superb.
The downside of running a shift that suits me and seems to suit the colleagues I've had (9pm-3am) is that I always miss both dusk and dawn. Maybe next year I'll try to do 19:30-03:00, although I suspect that might be a bit much.

Quote:
I must apologise for my rather confused "two cars in the gravel, no idea what happened there!" call though. I had genuinely seen them turn in, looked back up to Stowe for the next gaggle and then heard the crunch which put paid to the 144 (I think) BMW for some time.
I wondered who that was - I knew I knew the voice, but couldn't place you. I did feel for you on that one. We've all done it. The downside of having both eyes at the front! Normally 30 would have seen it, but not being manned put paid to that.