Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Nov 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3167343)   #1
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Who decides the "time certain' finish?

So who is responsible for this "time certain" BS?

Ch 7? V8 Supercars? The tea lady? I wrote- yes snail mail ( come on 7, move into the 1990s) to 7 after we were shafted on the Gold Coast.

They deny responsibility, blaming V8 Supercars. So whose BS decision is it?

They had plenty of time after the race to show a highlights package.
Mind you, frosty benefited from the race being shy of a lap.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3167357)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The races are scheduled to finish at or before 5.15pm on Saturdays of race weekends.

This is written into the supp regs of the meeting, and well known by all and sundry

I imagine that today's snafu in the utes caused the start of the V8Supercar race to be delayed, plus the safety car period, meant the race could not finish its full complement of laps before the 5.15pm timeframe.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Nov 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3167373)   #3
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was based on allow Skaifey time to get to the pub and shout the bar?
Old 17 Nov 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3167379)   #4
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Things such as fitting in to TV (Tv screen time is very important) The rules the track has to operate under to meet local noise rules, things like that.
So I reckon the reasons could vary depending on circuit.
If I had to put my money on one though, it would be to fit TV scheduling
Old 17 Nov 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3167382)   #5
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that it had to finish at that time, so as to give everyone time to get home and watch a replay of another FPR stuffup. Brilliant.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3167391)   #6
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Years ago I was at Oran Park with some mates and had a scanner tuned in to race control. Every second transmission was "ask channel 10 if we can......."
Old 17 Nov 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3167410)   #7
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's written in the supp. regs, to meet the requirements of the TV broadcaster. The race finish time of 17.15 + 1 lap gives the TV time to do a couple of interviews post race.

Even Bathurst has a time limit, 161 laps or 17.15 + 1 lap.

If we had bad weather we could have a Supercheap Auto's Bathurst 950.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3167433)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw one of DV_08's videos, 1986 Sandown ATCC. Even that race, as far back as then, was cut short as a result of tv. I'm not sure why or what excuse was available in those days though. Also, it's ridiculous that Bathurst is under time constraints as well, it should be exempted from it. They may as well do it, because the first time it occurs, there will be a huge uproar.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3167475)   #9
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I might not be the brightest, but would it be a lot easier to start earlier, like 45 minutes earlier. Then most things would be covered.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3167612)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
I might not be the brightest, but would it be a lot easier to start earlier, like 45 minutes earlier. Then most things would be covered.
then if there are no issues it finishes too early and the tv coverage has to fill in 45 minutes at the end which they dont want to do
Old 17 Nov 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3167662)   #11
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
then if there are no issues it finishes too early and the tv coverage has to fill in 45 minutes at the end which they dont want to do
Well then it falls back to the TV mob, they are paying the dollars to cover it, so the easiest way, delay the telecast for 45 minutes that has been done many a time before. THe coverage is still of a full race distance and everyone is happy.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3167665)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I saw one of DV_08's videos, 1986 Sandown ATCC. Even that race, as far back as then, was cut short as a result of tv. I'm not sure why or what excuse was available in those days though.
There was a delay in the race meeting earlier in the day, and also the Sandown race track has a curfew.

Ch7 covered the whole afternoon of racing live in those days (support races and all), and the ATCC race was reduced from 25 to 21 laps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz
Well then it falls back to the TV mob, they are paying the dollars to cover it, so the easiest way, delay the telecast for 45 minutes that has been done many a time before. THe coverage is still of a full race distance and everyone is happy.
They used to delay the races, and everyone *****ed and moaned because the races weren't live and they couldn't sit and watch the races with their laptops next to them...

Ch7 can't win.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3167666)   #13
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Then we all ***** that the race is not live and I can get the results from Natsoft or Bigpond (for the next 3 races anyway).
Old 18 Nov 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3167669)   #14
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
They used to delay the races, and everyone *****ed and moaned because the races weren't live and they couldn't sit and watch the races with their laptops next to them...

Ch7 can't win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Then we all ***** that the race is not live and I can get the results from Natsoft or Bigpond (for the next 3 races anyway).
A shortcoming of modern life where we want our cake and be able to eat it too.
Sometimes life is like that, you have to be careful what you wish for, because once you get it the reality isn't anything like what you expected.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3167683)   #15
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger All View Post
Well I am no doubt a lot older than you, if you are really interested in watching it on TV, even if it is only 20 minutes delayed, have you ever heard of the OFF button on the computer, why not try that then you wont know who wins until the TV is finished. Brilliant idea.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3167689)   #16
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well I am no doubt a lot older than you, if you are really interested in watching it on TV, even if it is only 20 minutes delayed, have you ever heard of the OFF button on the computer, why not try that then you wont know who wins until the TV is finished. Brilliant idea.
Uh Oh qualifying is underway and i am going to watch it on the V8live App
Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:59 (Ref:3167697)   #17
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
One other option, if Foxtel bid high enough it would not matter what time the telecast finished, oh but hang on people could not afford it, because they have computer i pads and all that stuff.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3167752)   #18
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The races are scheduled to finish at or before 5.15pm on Saturdays of race weekends.

This is written into the supp regs of the meeting, and well known by all and sundry

I imagine that today's snafu in the utes caused the start of the V8Supercar race to be delayed, plus the safety car period, meant the race could not finish its full complement of laps before the 5.15pm timeframe.
OK, so who decrees that 5.15PM (local time)is the finish.
Ch 7 is my bet. Ch 9 manage to do a cross from the cricket to the
"sacred cow"- the 6 PM news. Heaven forbid that any of 7's regular programming could be moved, even 5 minutes for motorsport.

WTF can't 7?
Old 18 Nov 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3167756)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why did todays race go over time? It was due for a 5.15 finish. but we finished after that.

Maybe Lowndes scrapped in by a few seconds.

The real problem we have is not timed finishes, Its starts that are too close to the finish time.

Even at Bathurst we are getting close to a timed finish, they allow 6 hours and 45 minutes for Bathurst now (which may include the warm up (i dont actually look at a clock around start time). this would mean we missed about 6 laps in 2006 and 5 races since V8Supercar took over would not have finished
Old 18 Nov 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3167775)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ch7 are dictating when the races should finish, yes there is a problem and V8SC should be taking a serious look at it. The fans are clearly not happy with it.

However, if the local council or whatever say when on-track activities must cease, then what can you do?
Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3167793)   #21
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time certain finishes started when Channel 10 was doing the telecast, they advised V8 supercars that they had to go to the news at 5pm and V8s accepted this and they had put it into the sup regs ever since. If you go back I am sure the first race that was affected by this was the Sandown 500
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3167836)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
Time certain finishes started when Channel 10 was doing the telecast, they advised V8 supercars that they had to go to the news at 5pm and V8s accepted this and they had put it into the sup regs ever since. If you go back I am sure the first race that was affected by this was the Sandown 500
Time certain finishes started way, way before that (before V8SC in fact) & are quite common in Motorsport worldwide.

The issue as I see it now is that each race has a time certain finish & they're cutting it too fine - doesn't take much at all for the timed finish to come into play.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3167864)   #23
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The incident in the ute race had no bearing on the time certain finish, the ute race was canned/moved to later in the day and that nicely managed the time gap. The race simply wasn't run as fast as predicted, for whatever reasons.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3167869)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Time certain finishes started way, way before that (before V8SC in fact) & are quite common in Motorsport worldwide.
Very true

The 1989 ATCC race format consisted of time certain 60min races, dropping to 50mins in 1990.

Plus there was the earlier mentioned 1986 ATCC round at Sandown, and then there was also the 1992 Sandown 500 that was stopped well short of the 500km distance.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3168158)   #25
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The issue as I see it now is that each race has a time certain finish & they're cutting it too fine - doesn't take much at all for the timed finish to come into play.
Agreed.

And from where I'm sitting, there's plenty of room for everything to fit in without this 'issue' being thrown out there.
I can't stand Timed Races. Everyone bleats on about strategy this and drive to a fuel number that, and then they cut laps out of the race, making the 500k race, a 496, or the 300k race a 288, effectively throwing all that stuff out the window after making it the key focus of the race til that point.
Really can't understand why it becomes an issue at all.