Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Oct 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2316112)   #1
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VdeV - Silverstone 19th Oct

Well I have just got back from quite a long windswept day.

Ended up flagging after turning up as an extra, quite nice to do something different.

The Elises were excellent as ever and so was the GT cup. Was quite suprised.

But is it me or is the VdeV possibly the worst race series ever? It just seems so lifeless. Fair enough, after 3 hours the first 2 cars were split by 3 seconds. But 14 cars for a 3 hour race? What a joke.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2316124)   #2
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
But is it me or is the VdeV possibly the worst race series ever? It just seems so lifeless. Fair enough, after 3 hours the first 2 cars were split by 3 seconds. But 14 cars for a 3 hour race? What a joke.
Just as well I pulled out of the meeting lol.

I've heard from other marshals that the vdev grid are rather on the thin side.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 20 Oct 2008 at 13:13.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2316154)   #3
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well I have just got back from quite a long windswept day.

Ended up flagging after turning up as an extra, quite nice to do something different.

The Elises were excellent as ever and so was the GT cup. Was quite suprised.

Totally agree with you Robin in everything you said. I've been home for nearly two hours and am just thawing out.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2316202)   #4
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did VdeV at Brands and it was really awful, the only thing that helped was I was flagging so I had to pay attention and I had a post where I could see a lot of the circuit.
I wont be doing it again in a hurry, hence why I wasnt there today
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2316250)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can certainly think of better ways to have spent my Sunday.

The Lotus' and and GT's weren't too bad though.

"Endurance" racing (2 and 3 hour jobbies) isn't my thing, I don't do the FIA and British GT's for that reason and had I have realised what was on the timetable I'd have probably given this meeting a side step. 14 cars just wasn't enough. At one point I had a count and although this was at pit stop time there were only 7 cars circulating...which is pretty dull to watch.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 05:43 (Ref:2316374)   #6
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is going to be a second class nest year, so hopefully a good few more cars circulating and more overtaking too. Its just getting off the ground over here so give them a break guys.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2316434)   #7
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw V de V at Donington earlier in the year and thought then it was boring and it has obviously not improved. After 2 seasons it should be better than it is. For endurance racing full grids are needed, if you can not achieve 30 cars then limit the races to 1 hour.
If v de v continues as it is then I am sure more marshals will vote with their feet and not turn up to events, and i doubt if the competitors could supply marshals for these events. At least James Tucker had the sense to kill Britsports off when V de V came along and reduced his grids.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:35 (Ref:2316459)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Fair enough, after 3 hours the first 2 cars were split by 3 seconds. But 14 cars for a 3 hour race? What a joke.
Robin,
You failed to mention that for the last 2 hours we only had 9 cars and 1 of those was falling apart. Apart from car 2, who seemed determined to his the post at Priory and car 7, who kept us watching to the end, I think I would have been asleep. Remind me not to do this again, anywhere!
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2316468)   #9
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed this meeting and had a great crew at Becketts out. Lots learnt yet again and thanks to all!

With regards the VdeV lets just say that I enjoyed the Lotus and GT's more - but still liked watching the VdeV's

It was a bloomin' cold day but we were soon warmed up by the leading Porsche dropping his offside rear wheel at Beckett's. He was a lucky bunny that it happened there and not somewhere with a wall! The wheel was recovered 2-300 yards down the Grand Prix circuit - complete with most of the suspension and brakes!!

For the guys working at Beckett's I have some photo's that Nina took of the recovery if you want them - just drop me a message. I am trying to get the "proper" photographers pics as well.

Talking of bunnies - I found a great use for the many bunnies that live around Silverstone - great for keeping your ears warm..............
Attached Thumbnails
bunnies.jpg  

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 20 Oct 2008 at 08:46.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2316503)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
There is going to be a second class nest year, so hopefully a good few more cars circulating and more overtaking too. Its just getting off the ground over here so give them a break guys.
I went to the first meeting at Brands in June / July 07 - I think there were 15 / 16 cars out then - and they were promising there'd be much bigger grids this year......
Old 20 Oct 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2316516)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They may just be finding their feet but with nearly 5 hours track time in 1 day for 16 cars. The days seem even longer.

Apprarently there were marshals aplenty for the HSCC the day before but many had sodded off for this event.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2316572)   #12
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems not much has imrpoved with this series. We had I think 14 cars at Snett earlier in the year for 6 hours If I remember. It seems to be a UK thing for having endurance races with small grids. Needs looking at really. Agree the Lotus's and GT cup have good grids and racing. How is V de V across the water. Has it taken off really well there.
RS
Old 20 Oct 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2316613)   #13
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been Chief Pits this year for most of the UK VdeV rounds, and whilst I agree that they have been thin on the ground, I can assure you that their pitstops can be entertaining.

there were organisational changes in the latter part of the year, and now there is even more emphasis on improving the show in 2009.

looky here... http://www.eurors.com/vdev/

as you will see Stuart McCrudden is now involved - which has to be a good thing.

But don't care.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2316614)   #14
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It ran a slightly different set up on the continent as GT's used to run with the sportscars but they have enough now to run a full grid of sportscars only.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2316616)   #15
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did say to Dave Scott that I felt that the V de V did not do MSVR's reputation a lot of goods with marshals.

I certainly feel that next year when people see MSVR they will think hard before committing to a meeting. This is a shame as some of their other races are really good, such as the GT Cup, Lotus and Palmer Audi's.

Personally I think I could have managed 1 hour (just) of the V de V and I must say that I almost nodded off mid way through the race. Luckily I could hear the commentary and realised that number 7 was catching at the end and this woke me up.

I do not like long distance races at the best of times and unfortunately this did nothing to change my mind. I agree with the comment above that maybe the MSA should bring in a rule that the maximum race for under 20 or 30 cars is 1 hour. If you want a longer race you have to ensure more cars.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2316632)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were just as bad at Oulton, a "minimum percentage of the circuits maximum grid spots" rule could do the trick, but since when did common sense come in to allowing races to run? I do enjoy enduro races but v de v is not one of them, a full grid of beetles (despite nowt to do for the whole 4 hrs) was far better entertainment and MSVR really do need to improve that series dramatically or ditch it.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 12:19 (Ref:2316645)   #17
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dave Scott did send an apology over the radio at the end and said he promised to change things next year. The only thing is, who will be there to see it. I agree with Fay that this certainly did not do MSVR and justice and is certainly not the norm at their meetings. I have done quite a lot of them this year and up until yesterday have gone away very happy.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2316666)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Its just getting off the ground over here so give them a break guys.
I really don't see why we should. We're paying to be there (fuel/time/equipment) to suppor them and if the series isn't ready to go ahead then it shouldn't do so. Unfortunately any Tom, Dick or Harry can set up a race series without really having to justify it first and I'd like to see that changed. If you can't run what you'd like to straight away because there's not enough support, then run with something else until there is. I know there's not a huge number of alternatives for this sort of race, but I'm afraid that's just tough. All this sort of thing does is to drive away marshals and spectators.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2316694)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
On behalf of the Lotus Elise Trophy I would like to thank all the marshals for their hard work yesterday. I fully appreciate the comments regarding the V de V and I was chatting to Paul Golding who runs the Elise Trophy about this last night.

I sincerely hope that the racing we put on coupled with the GT Cup guys helped to relieve the boredom for you outside of the V de V and I also hope you will offer thanks to the Elise Trophy for putting £200 into the marshals raffle at each round this year!

I guess there are pro's and con's to V de V at the moment; the pro's being it is promised they will get larger grids for next year, the con's of course that small grids in any series puts marshals off volunteering.

No obvious solution I'm afraid if we are to give V de V a chance to fullfill promises. However, I do think there should be a cut off time if by which they have failed to get the grid size to a certain level, the series is either cancelled or amalgamated with something else.

Once again big thanks to all marshals for their help yesterday, we look forward to seeing you at Brands hatch in November for the last round.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2316704)   #20
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Thanks Stephen,
I feel quite sorry for the Lotus and GT Cup guys, because they were actually very entertaining and well worth watching, and support us a great deal with money and track rides. I believe, we were promised bigger V de V grids for this year, and it hasn't happened. I do think the Lotus and the GT Cup guys need to watch who they are being billed with next year as we were very short of marshals yeaterday and, dare I say, they may find the V de V meetings cancelled in future because there are not enough marshals.
I certainly look forward to seeing to Lotus' at Brands.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2316712)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Paul was particularly worried by the lack of marshals yesterday. As you know, our drivers are encouraged to wave to you all on their slowing down lap and it's one of the things I think Marshals have come to like about the series apart from the good racing and excellent grids.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 20 Oct 2008 at 15:19.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2316738)   #22
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
As you know, our drivers are encouraged to wave to you all on their slowing down lap and it's one of the things I think Marshals have come to like about the series apart from the good racing and excellent grids.
It certainly is, I have done so many Lotus meetings in the last year, I thoroughly enjoy it and it certainly was boredom buster after 3 hours of nothingness.

So that is a big thumbs up to the organisers of Lotus (Class show as ever!) and the GT Cup (Hope to see more like that!)

And erm VdeV. Yep.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2316769)   #23
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
As you know, our drivers are encouraged to wave to you all on their slowing down lap and it's one of the things I think Marshals have come to like about the series apart from the good racing and excellent grids.
Why didn't they all wave at me in the Pit-lane then?
Had I upset them in some way? I thought I'd left that task to Vince

p.s. thanks for helping out by the way.

But don't care.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2316903)   #24
bickers
Rookie

United Kingdom
sheffield
bickers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys,

We were there yesterday with the Bicknell and yes the grid sizes are not there yet but give it a break,you say the series started in 07 but there was only a couple of races.The French series took a while to get going to,the drivers in this are top drivers(look at the entry,there are ex f3 and gt drivers there)and I know a lot of other young drivers who are looking at this as an option to get into sportscars.
We now have tv coverage and the pr is being done properly,I can see it getting bigger and bigger,
Wait untill next year before you judge it.What really would help you guys are timing screens so you can see what's going on as I admit it can be pretty dificult to keep up with what's going on!
Give it a chance,and if this time next year it's still not working then I'll quite happily put my hands up and say I was wrong!
Old 20 Oct 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2316912)   #25
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers
Give it a chance,and if this time next year it's still not working then I'll quite happily put my hands up and say I was wrong!

But don't care.