Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Sep 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2551007)   #1
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is Mazda's plans and future involvement in Sportscar racing?

Hello.
Since Mazda started their involvement in Sportscar racing in 2005, i've been wondering about how this involvement would evolve. Will Mazda a factory Lmp ever?, or simply stay as an privateer engine supplier?.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2551020)   #2
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been wondering about this for quite a while. The 2011 regs are probably their best chance for creating an eligible/competitive car.
The Dyson-Lolas are a great testbed for the time being.

What Mazda's intentions are for the longterm, who knows? What happened to the Furai?
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2551124)   #3
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd rather see Mazdaspeed produce customer race cars, maybe an RX-8.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2551129)   #4
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they must build a competitive/reliable engine first. Now the Judds and specially the zytek are better choices in P2
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2551156)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an opportunity for them to take an Audi-like position as the sole and/or dominant manufacturer of LMP chassis+engine package in the ALMS now that Acura are withdrawing support and Audi are not doing the whole series. This would require a far bigger budget but they should be able to dominate a bunch of privateers.

Same position for Acura but they've chosen not to take it.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2551171)   #6
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm happy with them as an engine supplier. Too often mfgs get in thinking it'll be a cheap way to go racing and then run into someone else who takes it much more seriously. They then get killed and p'off. Or their main competition decides to take a year or two off. I think its much better for them to act as engine suppliers and let Lola, or whoever build cars.

If they do get involved in chassis development, I think there should be some requirement that they sell their cars to at least one other team at a reasonable cost.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2551221)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz2k View Post
I'd rather see Mazdaspeed produce customer race cars, maybe an RX-8.
Bringing back a rotary would sure be nice on the ears! Along those lines I remember seeing a year or so ago an article showing a hydrogen powered mazda rotary car. I don't know if that has any future in it, but it shows Mazda are considering alternative power sources. Also the Biobutanol is showing promise after it's initial outing - the longest running of the MZR stateside this year without blowing up. It is said to have helped the engine stay cool - I wonder if this would apply to the rotary as well?
Old 30 Sep 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2551387)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Bringing back a rotary would sure be nice on the ears! Along those lines I remember seeing a year or so ago an article showing a hydrogen powered mazda rotary car. I don't know if that has any future in it, but it shows Mazda are considering alternative power sources. Also the Biobutanol is showing promise after it's initial outing - the longest running of the MZR stateside this year without blowing up. It is said to have helped the engine stay cool - I wonder if this would apply to the rotary as well?
IRC, it was the ACO that doesn't like the rotary engines.

Would be nice to have something different, engine wise, but probably wont happen.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2551389)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
IRC, it was the ACO that doesn't like the rotary engines.

Would be nice to have something different, engine wise, but probably wont happen.
Yes, it is safe to say that the rules do not favor a rotary engine!

L.P.