Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2186283)   #1
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

MARTINTYMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK Government Modified Car Threat

As a relative newcomer to this site I am not aware if this topic has been covered before, if it has I apologise, but I think it is potentially so important that it should be in such a prominent position on this web site that every visitor is aware of it and signs up for the e-mail newsletter. Go to www.the-ace.org.uk
Initially started by hotrodders to monitor potential negative legislation, it has implications for Rally cars, modified cars, track day cars, and bikes. If everyone gets the newsletter if ever there is a need for a "call to arms", it will be to all our advantages if the response is swift and massive.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2186297)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I recently signed a e-petition expressing concern about proposed erou-legislation that could threaten the free use of historics or specials in the UK, I got this reply....

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15326.asp

"Thank you for taking the time to register your views about classic cars on the Downing Street website.

There is currently no proposal either at EU or domestic level to ban cars over a certain age.

Clearly, vehicle emissions are a concern not just from a local air quality perspective but, increasingly, due to their contribution to climate change. Therefore, the European Commission has proposed setting CO2 targets for car manufacturers, but these would only affect new cars. Also, the targets would be based on averages rather than enforced limits or bans.

There is also no EU or UK policy to provide incentives for scrapping old vehicles. A programme of incentives to phase out the most polluting vehicles was considered as part of the national Air Quality Strategy Review (June 2007). Two scenarios were modelled: the first considered incentives for the scrapping of all cars that were not compliant with the Euro 1 standard, while the second considered Euro 1 standard cars as well as all the pre-Euro cars. This analysis suggested that both scenarios would result in a large net cost to society and represented poor value for money, mainly due to the high cost of useful resources being destroyed (i.e. roadworthy cars being scrapped). This could also involve negative environmental effects, as the petition outlines. As a result, the Air Quality Strategy classified this measure as 'no longer under immediate consideration', which remains true today.

Local authorities are able to develop, implement and manage their own local air quality management schemes, allowing them to focus measures on priorities in their area. The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operating in London is a prominent example. It currently applies to lorries over 12 tonnes, but will eventually apply to lighter vehicles such as large vans. However, cars, motorcycles and small vans (below 1.205 tonnes in unladen weight) are not affected. For the vehicles that are included, there is an exemption for 'historic vehicles' built before 1st January 1973."

However, we do need to keep a close eye on things- it will affect the way we vote!

(Just had a look on the ACE site and I see this Government response is reproduced there as well )

Last edited by Bluebottle; 25 Apr 2008 at 08:47.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2186299)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thinking of Europe..I believe the TUV in Germany are very strict when it comes to mods on standard road cars and use of 'old timers', can any members tell us more about this? How about other EU member states?
Old 25 Apr 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2186452)   #4
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

MARTINTYMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to www.the-ace.org.co.uk and read about it there.
That was the whole point of the post, so people can see what is happening in other areas and what we need to guard against. There is a section on whats happened in europe - scary if it all gets implemented!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2186658)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait a moment, is this legistation going to get rid of all those horrible boy racer wagons covered in nasty fibreglas spoilers?

If yes, I'm behind it all the way!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2186660)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
You're very naughty Stiggy!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2186671)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
On the contary. Why should I pay over the odds for insurance because some **** fiddles around with his car, doesn't tell anyone about it and then goes off street racing - and when he crashes finds he's invalidated his insurance. If banning "maxed" cars is the way to solve this, then so be it.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2186704)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Trouble is without 'maxed' cars we won't be able to tell them apart from sensible drivers until they do something daft....
Old 25 Apr 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2186808)   #9
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Ah good point! Maybe instead of a plastic bodykit they could be forced by law to carry I* plates instead.

*Idiot; other suitable letters include D, B, T, F, and W