Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:14 (Ref:755398)   #1
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penalty for Champion Audi?

I sent the SpeedTV guys an email, lets see if they answer it in their next segement.

I noticed that when the Joest Audi changed the battery, they used a wrench. Yet, when the Champion Audio changed the battery, they used a power tool to open the battery compartment. Here is what the IMSA rule says:

6.5.3.4 Sparks: No electric-driven tools or other equipment which may generate sparks are permitted in the pits.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 04:11 (Ref:755497)   #2
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you also notice that is was a "DeWalt" type power drill and they are sealed units with no cooling fan or armeture to produce sparks.

Your post and email to Speed remind me a bit of those guys that call in after golf events to call a penalty when you have no vested interest. Or do you?
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:26 (Ref:756074)   #3
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the penalty would have been it would not have made a difference in the outcome. I don't have a vested interest just was curious. In my question to Speed, I asked what the penalty should have been.

But I am curious, why is it that IMSA children can question every officiating call by Grand Am based on little or no real facts, but apparently you don't like that I brought up a question about a possible rule infraction that is for everyone to see on the broadcast. Read the rule again, it makes no provision in writing for a sealed electric driving tool.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:32 (Ref:756080)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisTheShark
you don't like that I brought up a question about a possible rule infraction that is for everyone to see on the broadcast.
Do we have to understand the "you" as plural or singular ?

Just if it's collective, forget it : you questionning are welcome...
Old 19 Oct 2003, 15:44 (Ref:756087)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you really did take in account every word .in the rules book do you .... if i would think i have a case(really really strong case) . i would have sent an email to ..

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Oct 2003, 16:05 (Ref:756097)   #6
BobN
Racer

Quote:
Whatever the penalty would have been it would not have made a difference in the outcome. I don't have a vested interest just was curious. In my question to Speed, I asked what the penalty should have been.

But I am curious, why is it that IMSA children can question every officiating call by Grand Am based on little or no real facts, but apparently you don't like that I brought up a question about a possible rule infraction that is for everyone to see on the broadcast. Read the rule again, it makes no provision in writing for a sealed electric driving tool.
And without visable evidence you want a penalty. At least that appears to be the message behind your post. When I say visable, I mean what according to you should be a drill with a cord and sparks flying about. Being you seem to be such an expert on the rules (quoting para, sub. para) I would have thought you would have taken the time to get the facts down as to what they violated the rules with.

As to any reference to IMSA fans and their pointing out rules violations, perhaps you don't recognize the difference between use of a safe, spark-free battery powered tool and taping a flashlight for use as a headlight and having any difference in the degree of safety violation and the ramifications of the violations. I can state that the ramifications of using the spark-free battery powered drill posed no threat to anyone's safety. Can you state that there were no ramifications to anyone's safety should the flashlight fall off and hit another car or that driving with no lights in darkness poses no danger?
Old 19 Oct 2003, 16:53 (Ref:756133)   #7
LouisTheShark
Racer

"visable evidence" Hmmm. Battery operated electric drill visible in pitlane, rule says in black and white you can't have any electric-driven tools in the pits.

Bob, think about this for a minute. The rule is written so that officials on the scene do not have to make the judgement call on whether the tool is a spark generating tool or not. Keeps life simple, no arguments between teams and officials in pitlane, and in an extreme case, it could be too late before an official can make the determination if the tool is spark generating or not.

As far as Phoenix goes, I would say that a person with 25 years of officiating experience in professional sports car racing, an influential member of the FIA, ACCUS and various other safety groups probably can make a better judgement call on a race situation than any member on any forum.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 17:02 (Ref:756139)   #8
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Depends whether any member on any forum has a similar level of experience really!
Old 19 Oct 2003, 17:08 (Ref:756144)   #9
BobN
Racer

Quote:
I would say that a person with 25 years of officiating experience in professional sports car racing, an influential member of the FIA, ACCUS and various other safety groups probably can make a better judgement call on a race situation than any member on any forum.
Excellent point Louis, perhaps the same understanding should be afforded to those officials on pit lane at Atlanta. Or is your point that IMSA doesn't have the caliber of officiating as described above?
Old 19 Oct 2003, 18:17 (Ref:756182)   #10
LouisTheShark
Racer

Bob, you don't get it. If you must compare the two, one is a judgement call, the other isn't. You are comparing apples with oranges.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 18:26 (Ref:756188)   #11
LouisTheShark
Racer

Also Bob, unlike the posts I have read in the past about Grand Am's officiating by IMSA children, I did not accuse IMSA of conspiracy or suggested some other malicious reason, I simply pointed out that I believe they missed an infraction and wondered what the penalty should have been. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 18:53 (Ref:756216)   #12
BobN
Racer

You probably don't realize that your constant attempts to belittle IMSA/ALMS fans with your calling them kindergartners (by the way it is not kindergardener as you previously used) and children does absolutely nothing to raise your self-proclaimed stature on internet forums. I'm sure it make you feel superior and if it helps with some self-esteem issue have a ball. Your perception that you and only a few like you are entiltled to an opinion or that your opinion carries more weight than someone else is quite tiring.

I leave this opinion as my final for this thread. Enjoy.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 19:35 (Ref:756255)   #13
LouisTheShark
Racer

"You probably don't realize that your constant attempts to belittle IMSA/ALMS fans with your calling them kindergartners (by the way it is not kindergardener as you previously used) and children does absolutely nothing to raise your self-proclaimed stature on internet forums."

1. OOOOHHHH!!!! Spelling is now an issue. Hmmm?
2. I don't care what people think of me. The problem with the small select group of IMSA fans that I call children is that they are more worried about the messenger then the message.

"Your perception that you and only a few like you are entiltled to an opinion or that your opinion carries more weight than someone else is quite tiring."

I have no problems with opinions and don't think that my opinions are worth any more than any one elses opinion. However, if a poster provides an opinion based on incorrect facts, revisionist history, or other false background, I will challenge it. If after challenging it the poster ignores verfiable facts, what am I to think of that person's opinion? Unfortunately, there is a small vocal group of IMSA fans (and there are also Grand Am fans) that fall into the children group. I think the "other" forum is a playground for that group and unfortunately some well reasoned people fall into that trap.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 20:06 (Ref:756275)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well that was a very interesting thread which, once again has once again fallen into the back and forth criticism of individuals that I thought we'd managed to avoid over the last couple of weeks.

Frankly, there was nothing wrong with the original issue but as this has developed, I do think a comparison of apples with oranges might be more entertaining.....

Enough, I think. If you get an answer Louis, PM me with it and I'll open the thread so those who wish to can see it.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 20:06 (Ref:756276)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Is it only me that has sensed a distinctly unpleasant change for the worse in the tone of some of the debate on ten tenths in the last few weeks?

And is it only me that is thoroughly bored to tears with the IMSA / GARRA namecalling
Closed Thread