Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jan 2001, 08:50 (Ref:60947)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

FORD
The former Ford Tickford Racing star has signed to drive the reborn Gibson team's second Ford Falcon in selected V8 Supercar events in the second half of the season, and will co-drive Lowndes at Bathurst and in the Queensland 500.
"Neil is vastly experienced, very strong technically and a true professional, and we are delighted to welcome him to the team," Fred Gibson said.

"It's a real bonus as we tackle the immense job of changing everything we know and have from Commodore to Falcon, that a driver of Neil's all-round ability is available to us.

Neil Crompton is equally enthusiastic about his new career opportunity after leaving Ford Tickford Racing at the end of 2000.

"This is a huge and very exciting opportunity for me ... the chance to drive alongside Craig is fantastic, and I'm sure we will achieve a lot together," Neil Crompton says.

"The Gibson Motor Sport facility is world class, and this new project has injected massive interest into V8 Supercar racing and really changed the landscape, it'll be quite a challenge playing a role in something new and brave.

"It is going to be hard to watch the field from the outside in the early stages of the year but I will happily opt for quality over quantity any day, and I know the Gibson Motor Sport Falcon will be a very special car.

"I'm also delighted to continue my association with Ford ... they are more committed than ever before to V8 Supercar racing and I'm very happy to be a part of it."

Craig Lowndes is expected to start testing the first of the Gibson Motor Sport Falcon V8s late next month, with a second car for Neil Crompton scheduled to be ready for the second half of the 2001 season.

Now thats what we like to see. A good driver in yet another FORD.

Old 29 Jan 2001, 10:24 (Ref:60961)   #2
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez, I thought Cromly was surely on the drivers scrapheap. oh well, good luck to him.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 10:54 (Ref:60965)   #3
Ray Singcar
Rookie

Ray Singcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crompton is a pretty good PR machine and will bring good publicity to the marque.....but a young (or any sort of) gun he certainly aint...but then Ford have Radischi who is a proven winner and Besnard who has unbelievable potential, and between these two not many others will get a look in. roll on February!!!!!!
Old 29 Jan 2001, 11:16 (Ref:60970)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome back to Gibson, Crompton! You'd have to admit his exit in 1992 was after a fairly high/low.

Well, thats another piece to the puzzle in place...now for Murph...
Old 29 Jan 2001, 11:53 (Ref:60978)   #5
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Neil hasn't been left out in the cold - best of luck.

Does this mean Gibson has found a major sponsor ?

Has K-Mart stuck with him or has he found someone new ?

On a lighter note, me also thinks the very first 2001 edition of V8 Superstars will be interesting to hear what is said.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 12:45 (Ref:60987)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guess this means Skaife and Crompton will continue to entertain us (despite 10's best efforts) on RPM before each round.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 15:46 (Ref:61002)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think Ray Singcar summed it all up quite nicely..Crompton is a PR man and a damm good one at that and with his ability to win the public over and Craigs following the team look like being off to a solid start..Cromly is a good driver and I have followed his career with interest but he strikes me as the "Johnny Herbert" of V8's..but maybe that is all about to change.

Go get em Cromly