Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2007, 17:13 (Ref:2025856)   #1
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blast from the past!

I love websites that keep mountains of old news stored in archives. Grandprix.com is one of those sites, and I found this fantastic little report from the 6th of April, 1998.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns01533.html

Quote:
The program is being run by former Williams F1 engineer David Brown and money is being supplied by West, Warsteiner, Mobil, Boss and Psygnosis. The drivers who will benefit are two young British kartists in the Champions of the Future series: 12-year-old Wesley Graves and 13-year-old Lewis Hamilton.
Now, what happened to Graves?
Old 29 Sep 2007, 17:17 (Ref:2025861)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who is this Lewis Hamilton character? He should be 22 years old now, haven't seen or heard about him. We can safely say that this sponsorship was a complete waste of money.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2025878)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Now, what happened to Graves?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...135233,00.html

Things went wrong for him, and he seems rather bitter.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2025885)   #4
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is from the 1997 season review, and has the following to say about the driver that are still active:

Quote:
There is little doubt that given the right car David Coulthard is a World Champion in the making.
Quote:
One bright point for Benetton in 1997 was the arrival of Alexander Wurz, who joined the team as test driver - bringing a pot of Austrian gelt from A1 Telekom. When Berger was forced to stand down because of sinus problems Wurz did a splendid job as his replacement, giving Alesi a scare on occasion.
Quote:
Wurz was not the only impressive new boy of 1997. Giancarlo Fisichella and Jarno Trulli also carved names for themselves. Having spent half of 1996 driving for Minardi, Fisichella was signed up by Jordan for the 1997 season - although he remained under long-term contract to Benetton (Are you following all this?). In the first few races he was rather overshadowed by Ralf Schumacher but gradually Fisico's smooth style and natural speed put him ahead of his German team-mate. And then he built up the pressure to such an extent that by the end of the year everyone had forgotten Schumacher's early speed.

Giancarlo should have won his - and Jordan's - first Grand Prix victory at Hockenheim but under pressure from Berger, Fisichella cracked and went off. It was not the kind of thing one expects to see from a real top caliber driver but perhaps a little more experience will add polish to Giancarlo's natural speed. His other chance of a win came in Argentina where his team-mate behaved like a complete moron and drove him off the road - much to the intense annoyance of the Jordan team management.
Quote:
Ralf Schumacher might be included in the list of bright young hopes for the future but there are not many in F1 who believe he will be in Grand Prix racing beyond the end of his Jordan contract. He is not his brother - despite his ability to run into people. If Michael had not existed Ralf would not now be in F1. He does not seem to appreciate this and his arrogance is a little tiresome. He is going to have to learn both humility and a little more control if he wants a long-term future in F1.

To begin with he looked to be doing very well - Buenos Aires notwithstanding - but as the season progressed he buckled as Fisichella pressured him and this resulted in the unfortunate incident at the start of the Luxembourg GP where Ralf was so busy trying to squeeze Fisichella out of the way that he forgot the basic dynamics of racing cars and collided with his team-mate once again. On this occasion he flew straight into his brother's Ferrari, doing serious damage to Michael's World Championship chances and earning himself freighter loads of abuse in the German newspapers. He deserved it all.
Quote:
If Ralf did not greatly impress Jarno Trulli certainly did, despite the fact that he had only a handful of races for Minardi before being drafted in with Prost. Trulli's performances disappointed the blind in the F1 paddock but if analyzed properly were quite remarkable. At Hockenheim he outpsyched Villeneuve and at Zeltweg he blew the whole field away until his engine let him down. And he achieved it having completed less than 50 single seaters races in his life. A great start to what will probably be a great career.
Quote:
The Stewart team built a very nice car but were let down far too often by the Ford V10 engines. The number of failures became almost laughable as Ford and Cosworth engineers took risks to get the horsepower up as fast as possible. The only real high point was Monaco where the rain, the track, good Bridgestone tires and a high attrition rate enabled Rubens Barrichello to finish second to Michael Schumacher - albeit a very long way behind. The team has a great deal of potential and a great deal more support from Ford than is immediately obvious. It needs only a little bit more experience and fewer sermons to the masses from JYS (particularly when they upset the FIA) and it will develop into a very serious operation.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2025898)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/st...135233,00.html

Things went wrong for him, and he seems rather bitter.
Wesley thinks he has the divine right to be ahead of where Hamilton is now.

I have an image of that interview of him sitting there, alumped in his armchair, mumbling all this garbage, with his arms folded and in a major huff, almost crying.

His mum is just humouring his deluded and tortured soul.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 29 Sep 2007 at 18:13.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 18:16 (Ref:2025900)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As it happens I had a long read threw the archives, and I found a few gems, including one article from about 95/96 by TGF saying that he'll retire before he gets old...
Old 29 Sep 2007, 18:33 (Ref:2025910)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I have an image of that interview of him sitting there, alumped in his armchair, mumbling all this garbage, with his arms folded and in a major huff, almost crying.
I can see why he's bitter.

Lewis only got where he is because he's black, y'know.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 18:34 (Ref:2025914)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
A bit of a www.Grandprix.com tip.

I used to read the reviews for each season, race by race, and then seek out the footage on youtube. It helped to educate me about early 80s F1, as I was too young to watch it at the time.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 20:45 (Ref:2026000)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I can see why he's bitter.

Lewis only got where he is because he's black, y'know.
Positive discrimination...

Someone should tell that guy that F1 is like any other sport - plenty of promising young kids around, 99% of whom will never get into an F1 car. That's life. For every one kid who doesn't make it into F1, there are probably 20 who don't make it at Manchester United. Perhaps he should find himself something to occupy him...like a job.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Sep 2007, 21:54 (Ref:2026060)   #10
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the way motorsport is i suppose a good friend of mine who still races very competitivley in club races has tested for a good number of teams running everything up to dodge vipers. on a number of occasions he has beaten the no:1 team driver in testing only to be told he aint got the drive.i think i just comes down to being in the right place at the right time ,plenty of cash and the right face.......
Old 29 Sep 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2026062)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Wesley thinks he has the divine right to be ahead of where Hamilton is now.

His mum is just humouring his deluded and tortured soul.
Well, Hamilton did the right thing, Graves did the wrong one. Now we'll see the results.

But if I were Lewis I would give a new job for Westley -at least one simple administrative commitment-. Having in mind that Westley would have problems with it, I'd better do it. And no precisely for "image" reasons, just to help the one who had fallen.

Last edited by Mekola; 29 Sep 2007 at 21:59.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2026076)   #12
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
Well, Hamilton did the right thing, Graves did the wrong one. Now we'll see the results.

But if I were Lewis I would give a new job for Westley -at least one simple administrative commitment-. Having in mind that Westley would have problems with it, I'd better do it. And no precisely for "image" reasons, just to help the one who had fallen.
His moan about not being able to adapt to the new kart he was given smacks of arrogance. If he was a driver worth his salt he would have adapted.

Someone on the pistonheads.com forum mentioned that they had tutroed him at some Bedford Autodrome event. Said he was good but not Hamilton good.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna