Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Nov 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1769286)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trailers & Tow cars.

This has probably been discussed before, but for me its decision time.

I need to replace my everyday modern (Fiat Coupe' 1997) with something newer. Also my L reg Renault furniture truck equipped with a winch and ramps as it is hard to park in York.

I'm looking to kill two birds and my current thinking is a smallish 4x4 with a good trailer.

My current thinking is a Honda CRV (braked trailer weight 1,500kgs). (However I am open to other suggestions.)

Does any of have experience of these cars?

Also, which trailer? My heaviest car is a little over a tonne.

Possibly Ifor Williams twin axle?

I used to tow with my Audi 100 quattro a decade or more ago and would never wish to tow a VSCC eligible car without 4x4.

Steve McQueen.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1769296)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought it a little lightweight to tow a one ton car and trailer, especiallly once you had passengers, fuel, tyres and spares etc loaded for the day. I use a CHEVY BLAZER V6 4.3 and it has a towing capacity of 3800 kgs and is a nice road car to use as well. Its on Autogas as well or would be a bit heavy on petrol.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 18 Nov 2006 at 23:05.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1769307)   #3
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Agree with Al, something bigger than a CRX I think. My car is just under a ton and the trailer is 0.5 ton, but by the time there's fuel and spart tyres aboard, that's probably closer to 1.7 ton total. Wouldn't want to pull that with anything less than a 1.7 ton dry weight car, even with 4wd. Why not look towards something in the 4wd estate range from someone like Volvo or Subaru. Then you'll have a very practical car as well as a good tow vehicle.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1769454)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked at the CRV but chose a Nissan X-Trail instead. Good build quality, Good performance & fuel economy for a 4x4 (40 mpg, not towing!) and it can tow 2000kg.

Alternatively, how about an Audi Allroad? A friend of mine tows Audi quattros around on a Brian James tilt bed behind one of those and they are not exactly light. They are a bit pricey, though.

Last edited by andy97; 19 Nov 2006 at 08:51.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1769476)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic
My current thinking is a Honda CRV (braked trailer weight 1,500kgs). (However I am open to other suggestions.)

Does any of have experience of these cars?

Also, which trailer? My heaviest car is a little over a tonne.

Possibly Ifor Williams twin axle?
If you want to stay within the law you need to look at the unladen weight and gross train weight of the tow vehicle. I would think the CRV would be marginal with a 1 ton car. It also gives a kerb weight of 1550kg which is quite light for a 4X4, my disco is 2 tons unladen.

You will need at (least) a twin axle trailer, I wouldn't go for less than a 2000kg gross as you may also want spare tyres and fuel on board as well.
Are you buying new or SH as you also need to look at the emissions efficiency of any post 2001 car in light of the green lobby that is taking over the world.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1769774)   #6
nyssa7
Racer

nyssa7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Andy97 on this. I have reviewed the Honda CRV, Nissan X-Trail and the Kia Sportage for www.carenthusiast.com. The Kia was the best of these, but only the X-Trail can pull 2000kgs. Tested the Nissan's towing ability by pulling 2000kgs (myrace car and trailer) around for the day and it towed brilliantly. Shame its too small to carry the amount of crap I'm finding necessary to take as well, and get the family in

Depends on your budget, Kia Sorento has serious towing capacity and sensible price, drives surprisingly well too
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1769796)   #7
Jamie G
Racer

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamie G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a Nissan Navara, which uses much of the same mechanicals that the X Trail does. It is plenty powerful enough and the gross weight is ideal for me towing a CRX and all the accoutrements around.

Why not go for a Navara? Well equipped and fast becoming cheap, four seats and a big load area that won't get messed up easily?

Having said that, the earlier Honda CRV uses the B20 Honda engine, one of the most reliable units Honda produced (and much sought after by Civic/ CRX tuners). The CRV is maybe a little light, but then I am slightly biased towards Hondas...

PS: Don't buy a Shogun Sport!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1769876)   #8
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've got a Navara as well, it copes with my Impreza and can carry all of my spares plus the gear for my wife, two kids under 4 and myself for a weekend away. I have the diesel version, and towing it averages around 14l/100k's, with out the car on the back it's around 9l/100k's.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1769937)   #9
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 words

Land Rover*

*Defender, long wheelbase, or a disco. IIRC They can both pull something up to 4 tons, but have a maximum plated towing weight of 3.5 ton. or in other words, have more power than they can use.

DISCLAIMER: This may be bull.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1769949)   #10
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
What about a BMW 530d?

Not 4x4 or AWD but rear wheel drive and a great lugger, does anyone know its towing capacity.

Great car too!

Steve McQueen.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1770039)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
STIG,

The Defender whilst a good solid machine, will do your head in after about twenty miles on a motorway. The noise and discomfort levels are quite high. A Disco is certainly a good vehicle with 3.8t braked trailer capacity.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1770070)   #12
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
STIG,

The Defender whilst a good solid machine, will do your head in after about twenty miles on a motorway. The noise and discomfort levels are quite high. A Disco is certainly a good vehicle with 3.8t braked trailer capacity.
had a 90td5 and fully agree, suberb you won't notice if you have a trailer or not. Now a I have a Volvo xc70 goes very very well with a trailer 450kg and racecars up to 1100kgs. Went to Zandvoort last saterday with a Mustang on my trailer , and that was clearly the max!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1770088)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi A6 Allroad,BJ Twin axle, 100mph back from Spa and not one moment of any drama!!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1770093)   #14
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Audi A6 Allroad,BJ Twin axle, 100mph back from Spa and not one moment of any drama!!
Definitely on my short list.

Steve McQueen.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1770111)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic
Definitely on my short list.
I almost forgot,it was pumping out 44mpg ,not towing of course, towing it was giving 27 plus,it depended on what side of the ton you stayed at!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1770427)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There are a couple of much over looked Chevy Blazer late models on eBay at the moment one on Autogas. I have to say (STig) I have had Range Rovers and I don't like, everytime you look at the pigs something falls off and it eventually although being only 12 years old and the body looked great failed the MoT for being riddled with rust, I would never touch one ever again. My V6 Blazer does 170miles on £24 of Autogas towing the absolutely brilliant wheels under Tri-Axle Brian James trailer (man what a piece of kit that is) with a heavy Chevy on the back. It is superbly comfortable as a road runnerabout and very practical for lugging gear around with over 6ft area in the back with seats down also makes a nice hotel for the night and does over 200 miles on £24 tank ful of Autogas without trailer and is honestly the best tow vehicle I have ever owned. Yes the trim level is this and that agreed and the build quality is not German or indeed Japanese but the V6 will pull from 500rpm in 5th gear and they are very good value and for under 4k for an Autogas converted 2001 model with under 50,000 on the clock you cannot go wrong.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 20 Nov 2006 at 09:59.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1770628)   #17
Tony Crossley
Rookie

Tony Crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zt 260 - I use one: quiet, comfy for long journeys and the V8 will pull anything. Max towing weight is high as well.

Not too bad on gas if you stick to the 60mph tow limit (well, for a V8!)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1770648)   #18
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crossley
Zt 260 -
What is it? all that came up when I googled it was a 'Bush Bog' mower.

Steve McQueen.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1770651)   #19
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ZT260 was a MG ZT, but RWD and a Ford V8 in the front.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1770654)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannardd
The ZT260 was a MG ZT, but RWD and a Ford V8 in the front.
IS an MG, and one of the most likely to appreciate longer-term due rarity and quality (unless the oil runs out)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1770655)   #21
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Ahah the ugly orphan............ but hot!

Steve McQueen.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1770657)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Must admit I was looking to change to a Disco but on reflection I think the Jeep grand Cherokee CRD would be a good choice. 3.5 t capacity (braked) and space and comfort.

Another choice would be the Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1770660)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The trouble with the new Disco is that it weighs 3 tons which when combined with a trailer could set you into a whole new realm of rules and regs.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1770663)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Good point Tim.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1770728)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
A friend of bought a new disco when they first came out,I think he think,s of it as a bad move! Its had more faults than a bad tennis player.