Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1099112)   #1
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar are pulling out of F1

BBC news ticker thingy on the top of their news site says that Jaguar are pulling out of F1 - more soon.

Anyone have anything more solid on this yet?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1099113)   #2
autosportfan
Rookie

autosportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Jaguar Racing employee. Yes
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1099114)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes it's confirmed and it's not just Jaguar it's Ford in total.

Quote " After a thorough review over many months, Ford Motor Company has decided it can no longer make a compelling case for any of it's brands to compete in Formula One" Joe Greenwell, Chairman of Jaguar and Land Rover.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 17 Sep 2004 at 11:04.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1099115)   #4
massifheed
Racer

Check the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/3665810.stm
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1099121)   #5
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Reuters) - Ford said on Friday its Jaguar Formula One team would pull out of the sport at the end of the 2004 season.

"After a thorough review over many months, Ford Motor Company has decided it can no longer make a compelling business case for any of its brands to compete in Formula One," Joe Greenwell, chairman of Jaguar and Land Rover, said in a statement.

"We are putting our Formula One businesses up for sale," he said.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:09 (Ref:1099123)   #6
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope for the sake of all Jaguar racing employee's that a buyer is found quickly. Will this include Cosworth?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1099126)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm... so does this mean that 2 of the teams will have to run 3rd non-scoring cars if Arden dont get into f1 next year?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1099128)   #8
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So DC won't be going there then.

Wonder if the Dubai people will be interested in buying from Ford ?

Good luck to all the employees at Jaguar Racing to find new posts.

Will a new team take their place, what's happening with the Dallara project ?

Last edited by gringottsdirect; 17 Sep 2004 at 11:13.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1099132)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
A complete pull-out is a shock! So much for a 'Ford GP' superteam in 2005. I do hope they get a buyer; sad and ignominious end to Jaguar's F1 career.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1099134)   #10
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have friends within the team, so I wish all luck in finding secure jobs elsewhere.

Poor Davidson, he's only been quoting on f1-racing.net that talks with the team were going well, despite the uncertainty of the teams future.

I do hope that they look at a Le Mans effort - cost effective, and great for PR.

With Browns Lane no longer producing cars anymore, this is a transition day for Jaguar as a whole...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1099136)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe Arden will by Jaguar?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1099138)   #12
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief! Does this includes Cosworth? From http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13516.html: "with the closure of both Jaguar Racing and Cosworth Racing, Ford's competition engine subsidiary". That's 1/3 of the grid's engines; I hope there's some wires getting crossed here!

Last edited by Testure; 17 Sep 2004 at 11:27.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1099139)   #13
massifheed
Racer

Didn't they build a wind tunnel and everything?

I guess they can always sell the site, but give it a few years at least. BAR are just coming good, and they were at it for a good few years with **** results.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1099141)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sad news indeed.

It won't include Cosworth - they're a separate entity and will presumably continue to supply engines to Jordan and Minardi.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1099143)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Minardi only just announced that they will be running with the same spec engines as Jag next year. Does that mean the 2005 Minardi will be a pedal car?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1099145)   #16
massifheed
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
Minardi only just announced that they will be running with the same spec engines as Jag next year. Does that mean the 2005 Minardi will be a pedal car?
A significant performance improvement then?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1099146)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it is sad news but you cant blame the Jag board... they have been stuck to the midfield the past few years without making any progress... if you look at the likes of BAR and Sauber who have surpassed them.. and also Toyota who with in two seasons have almost reached the JAG level...

the guys upstairs must be frustrated with the lack of progress relative to other teams...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1099148)   #18
massifheed
Racer

I think Jackie Stewart should buy it back. I'll never forget Johnny Herbert winning in a Stewart. Nice!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1099149)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bloomin' hell!

I thought the Jaguar brand was under threat, but I didn't quite expect a complete Ford pull-out. Not yet anyway.

I echo others comments that a buyer is found soon.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1099156)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously Ford are very unhappy if they have pulled out entirely.

I'm wondering who's going to buy the business. Now only 18 cars for next season at the moment...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1099157)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
it is sad news but you cant blame the Jag board... they have been stuck to the midfield the past few years without making any progress... if you look at the likes of BAR and Sauber who have surpassed them.. and also Toyota who with in two seasons have almost reached the JAG level...

the guys upstairs must be frustrated with the lack of progress relative to other teams...
Well, considering they are (about to become were) a works team their budget was well below the current top teams. I think they were a bit naive to expect anything else.

To be honest I don't think Ford's heart was really in it from the start.

I feel sorry right now for the guys on the shop-floor who have done the best they can with what they have and now face an uncertain future. I hope new buyers are found quickly so momentum isn't lost and for all the people working so hard right now.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1099158)   #22
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC news report now says: Reports suggest Tony Purnell, head of Ford's premier performance division, is putting together a bid to buy Jaguar's Formula One operation.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1099160)   #23
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure off the effects of the move, as cosworth might continue to supply engines to minardi a la supertec and mechacrome in the late 90s Jordan (if the rumours are true will run toyotas. I think the biggest effect (obviously second to jaguar pulling out of f1) is the probable end of CART as cosworth would rather invest in the global market of f1 than solely in america through the flaging CART series
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1099161)   #24
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if this will also effect the Champ Car engine supply?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1099162)   #25
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats going to happen to the teams who use ford / cosworth engines? doesnt sound like they'll continue to supply them,

al tho if it comes to it 3 car teams should allow the better teams to have more good drivers and hence challenge schumacher more effectively