Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jun 2007, 05:29 (Ref:1940475)   #1
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
v8 supercars international??

i was just wondering what you guys think of bahrain i no its a world class track but its so far away and from what i saw it has very few spectators. i think they should try get a round as either a champ car or nascar support race in the states it would be way better and at least their would be people at the track
Old 18 Jun 2007, 05:33 (Ref:1940476)   #2
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain is a dumb idea. Always has been and always will be.

The fact that most people, those educated and those who aren't, have to look on a map to work out where the hell it is, is a problem.

There is NO need for us to be there. NZ is a logical fit. But Bahrain? The crowds, or lack thereof, were embarrassing.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 05:48 (Ref:1940481)   #3
User Name
Rookie

User Name should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear south africa is on the drawing board to replace behrain, at least they sell commodores and falcons over there, it is a logical fit like new zealand
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:28 (Ref:1940491)   #4
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as they keep paying for it, Bahrain is a great place to have a race. The small crowd makes no difference if you are watching it on TV and if you are at the circuit, it means you get good seats.

Most people would have a fairly good idea where Bahrain is, and if not, having the race there has taught them something.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1940550)   #5
Fig Jam
Rookie

Fig Jam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone knows that TC doesn't give a fats rats clacker about crowd numbers (except at his own events), it is all about TV and advertising on TV.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1940563)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
As long as they keep paying for it, Bahrain is a great place to have a race.
Outside of those who have access to the VESA bank balance, I dont see anyone else thinking it is a great place to have a race
Old 18 Jun 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1940611)   #7
lavenlaar
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
lavenlaar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain was a stunt by General Motors as Bahrainians are motor nuts, that the fact that GM brought out the VE equivalent at the same time as last year.

I would like to see 1 overseas event remain, but at tracks that we call worthy.

Even if the V8s are a prelude race to anything, bring on Brands Hatch, Catalunya, Monza etc...
Old 18 Jun 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1940629)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenlaar
I would like to see 1 overseas event remain, but at tracks that we call worthy.

Even if the V8s are a prelude race to anything, bring on Brands Hatch, Catalunya, Monza etc...
But that isnt going to happen as there is no desire to pay v8s to come to those parts of the world.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1940634)   #9
rms
Rookie

rms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
But that isnt going to happen as there is no desire to pay v8s to come to those parts of the world.
They would not have them even if V8's paid them!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Jun 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1940664)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think supporting ChampCar in the US on a road coarse would be good the americans like the V8's when they see them on the Cold Coast supporting CC and they sold the monaro as a GTO over there now they are selling the VE as the G8 over there maybe we could have a pontiac livery instead of a Buick one, and Ford are over there the car isn't the brand is and that way the crowd is there and they will see the V8's over there.

but that wouldn't help Cocho as he wouldn't get the TV audience at 3 am, but they would have the crowd but thats not what fills his pockets it's the TV.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 18 Jun 2007 at 10:27.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1940680)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

But Pro Racer who would cover the coast of getting the cars there, the cost of being a support ?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1940856)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who knows what could change if the new falcon ends up being sold in the usa along with the pontiac g8. Unlikely an american race would happen, but?

Also south africa might be a good spot since both cars are sold there and the country is clinging for some good motorsport. They've been trying to get WRC and F1 there but no luck so far. Maybe V8's would be welcomed.

Ultimately I believe if V8's move beyond australia and nz too much it will kill the series.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 23:07 (Ref:1941178)   #13
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
I hear south africa is on the drawing board to replace behrain, at least they sell commodores and falcons over there, it is a logical fit like new zealand
But does South Africa have the money to line VESA'a gold lined pockets? They will need to spend a pretty penny to entice the V8's over there.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1941230)   #14
MrX
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Wangaratta
MrX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is plenty of $$$ in South Africa, dont worry about that!
Old 19 Jun 2007, 00:49 (Ref:1941231)   #15
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As long as they keep paying for it, Bahrain is a great place to have a race. The small crowd makes no difference if you are watching it on TV and if you are at the circuit, it means you get good seats
Exactly.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1941321)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Who knows what could change if the new falcon ends up being sold in the usa along with the pontiac g8. Unlikely an american race would happen, but?
forget where i read this but it was rumoured that the falcon could come your cop cars, don't know if their is any truth in it? probably not.

Quote:
Also south africa might be a good spot since both cars are sold there and the country is clinging for some good motorsport. They've been trying to get WRC and F1 there but no luck so far. Maybe V8's would be welcomed.

Ultimately I believe if V8's move beyond australia and nz too much it will kill the series.
south africa would be great both beasts sold there should atleast get a bit more PR in the region. and maybe they might welcome V8's with open arms over there with not being able to get any of the big players.

and yes it would kill the series if we went beyond the Aus/NZ boundries to much one round is enough but Cocho could of went for something more stratigic like SA where atleast the 2 cars are sold.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 05:54 (Ref:1941325)   #17
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I dont see anyone else thinking it is a great place to have a race
I understand the teams and drivers like going to overseas events and living in Perth it cost me less to see the race in China than Bathurst or Adelaide and I would imagine it would be the same for Bahrain.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1941784)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
forget where i read this but it was rumoured that the falcon could come your cop cars, don't know if their is any truth in it? probably not.

south africa would be great both beasts sold there should atleast get a bit more PR in the region. and maybe they might welcome V8's with open arms over there with not being able to get any of the big players.

and yes it would kill the series if we went beyond the Aus/NZ boundries to much one round is enough but Cocho could of went for something more stratigic like SA where atleast the 2 cars are sold.
There are rumors the falcon will make it to the usa and left hand side prototypes have been spotted over here. The current crown victoria has been around and unchanged since 1990, so time has come for a replacement.

Despite the increase in cost of fuel, plenty of people are still buying larger sedans. If the falcon comes over here I will look at it to replace my current audi and I may consider the pontiac g8 as well.

One can dream I guess, but with some of the great road courses in the world here in the USA, road america, road atlanta, watkins glen, etc. I'd love to see the V8's come over for a round or 2. Again unlikely but it would be cool.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1941949)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
go the G8, much better car .
Old 19 Jun 2007, 23:51 (Ref:1942142)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Progressive

Quote:
There are rumors the falcon will make it to the usa and left hand side prototypes have been spotted over here. The current crown victoria has been around and unchanged since 1990, so time has come for a replacement.

Despite the increase in cost of fuel, plenty of people are still buying larger sedans. If the falcon comes over here I will look at it to replace my current audi and I may consider the pontiac g8 as well.

One can dream I guess, but with some of the great road courses in the world here in the USA, road america, road atlanta, watkins glen, etc. I'd love to see the V8's come over for a round or 2. Again unlikely but it would be cool.
Hope you get the car of your dreams mount

Maybe the best thing the Aussie V8 Circus could do is concentrate on having one overseas round per year (not counting Tassie or NZ). This might be done by approaching a track and asking if they could accommodate a three race inclusion in their program on a given weekend and whether their sponsors would be interested in coming on board to defray costs....yeah, maybe Summit Point? Laguna Seca? Brands Nurburgring and a different tract next year...sort of like a progressive dinner!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:00 (Ref:1942147)   #21
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only non Australasian circuit V8 Supercars should race on is the International option on V8 Supercars Play Station game.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:26 (Ref:1942195)   #22
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While Bahrain have waaaay to much money, and nothing to do with it, why not?!

Gives the teams a free trip to see a part of the world they probably never would have seen otherwise.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1942199)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

I think its because its an Australian championship and it takes away opportunities for more australian races.

Some of the teams arent exactly thrilled about these races either
Old 20 Jun 2007, 03:05 (Ref:1942204)   #24
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would events in these countries increase TV revenue? Between TV and promoting the manufacturers, these will be the factors that influence which countries the championship appears in. Remember, to the V8 supercar body you're more important as a viewer rather than an on track spectator (money wise)
Old 20 Jun 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1942323)   #25
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw this article, very relevant to this discussion.
http://www.cupscene.com/061907nascar1.htm