Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Dec 2011, 19:52 (Ref:3004918)   #376
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a couple of ex F1 drivers from Germany looking for drives, old F1 drivers can make fast prototype drivers.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:16 (Ref:3004945)   #377
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I really don't think it's cut and dry that Porsche will plug their existing drivers into the LMP1.

I'd expect a fairly aggressive recruitment campaign and some big names in the mix. A crack at a World Championship representing Porsche is a big honour.

If Porsche did want to bring up their guys they would need to farm them out to other LMP teams to gain experience IMO starting now. Similar to what Pug arranged with Vernay. This season has shown the need for heightened racecraft when onboard these machines.
I agree . I would think a good mix is the solution , experiance & youth .
Old 28 Dec 2011, 23:03 (Ref:3004966)   #378
ronnie peterson
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
ronnie peterson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
There are a couple of ex F1 drivers from Germany looking for drives, old F1 drivers can make fast prototype drivers.
I would love to see Schumacher somehow getting involved with this Porsche LMP1 project. I know it's virtually impossible but would be pretty much eye candy.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 23:04 (Ref:3004967)   #379
Audi R10
Rookie

Audi R10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion for 2014 Porsche LMP1 lineup:

Bernhard-Dumas-Luhr (former Porsche)
Long (former Penske Porsche) -Lieb (former Penske Porsche)-Holzer
Heidfeld-Duval-Webber (fantasy idea)
Old 28 Dec 2011, 23:37 (Ref:3004978)   #380
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie peterson View Post
I would love to see Schumacher somehow getting involved with this Porsche LMP1 project. I know it's virtually impossible but would be pretty much eye candy.
You must be joking ..... have that premadonna in sportscars !!! .....
Old 29 Dec 2011, 00:14 (Ref:3004994)   #381
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Porsche do selected rounds in 2013, to prepare 2014??????

When leaving the rules for 2014?
Old 29 Dec 2011, 00:20 (Ref:3004996)   #382
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Would Porsche do selected rounds in 2013, to prepare 2014??????

When leaving the rules for 2014?
Probably because the cars built for the 2014 regs aren't allowed to be run before that?
Old 29 Dec 2011, 00:23 (Ref:3004997)   #383
ronnie peterson
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
ronnie peterson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Even Nigel raced them so why wouldn't Michael be?
Old 29 Dec 2011, 00:26 (Ref:3004999)   #384
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even Nigel raced them so why wouldn't Michael be?
Well, Michael has raced at Le Mans before too. Almost won overall too. Some think his attitude is "been there, done that." Anyway, I have not watched an F1 race since back when Michael was racing a red car, but it is my understanding that Michael is paid very well to race with F1 rejects where he is now. Why pass up on the money in order to race F1 rejects while being paid much less?
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:31 (Ref:3005011)   #385
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He came 5th in 1991 at Le Mans, driving for Sauber Mercedes.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:38 (Ref:3005012)   #386
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Schumacher has been talking about how he considers Le Mans to be too dangerous, I don't think he'll ever come back.

Can't really say I want him to either...
Old 29 Dec 2011, 02:35 (Ref:3005021)   #387
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He came 5th in 1991 at Le Mans, driving for Sauber Mercedes.
Im well aware of where he made his name , I was there to witness his exceptional driving , still dont want him in sportscars . He thinks LM is too dangerous ..... arrogant comment coming from him , as I remember him taking out someone , and he did it on purpose . Taking out someone so he could wrap up a championship .....

He is the one thats dangerous , not the track !!!
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:32 (Ref:3005037)   #388
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But , I cant see all their GT drivers going P1 . Some of them will have to stay with GT I expect , and they now need to hire young blood , get them trained up for when they need to support a P1 and GT effort , along with everything else .
I agree that not all the current drivers will land up in LMP1, but I am almost sure that the seniority (in rank) of the current drivers will give them the first shot at obtaining a seat.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:35 (Ref:3005038)   #389
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bergmeister was quite fast with the DP @ Daytona last year.
You are quite correct. Don't get me wrong. Bergmeister is one hell of a driver.

Quote:
His height shouldn't be an issue considering that Wurz has been driving the 908.
Mr G has addressed this issue.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:37 (Ref:3005039)   #390
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:

He is a Mercedes man, and I think perhaps Porsche is looking for some younger blood.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:41 (Ref:3005042)   #391
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R10 View Post
My opinion for 2014 Porsche LMP1 lineup:

Bernhard-Dumas-Luhr (former Porsche)
Long (former Penske Porsche) -Lieb (former Penske Porsche)-Holzer
Heidfeld-Duval-Webber (fantasy idea)
100% in agreement (I forgot about Luhr.)

Another name to think about is Hulkenberg (if he doesn't have a F1 seat any longer by 2014)
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:53 (Ref:3005043)   #392
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
I really don't think it's cut and dry that Porsche will plug their existing drivers into the LMP1.
They will IF they prove themselves fast enough.

Quote:
I'd expect a fairly aggressive recruitment campaign and some big names in the mix. A crack at a World Championship representing Porsche is a big honour.
I'm not 100% sure about that. Porsche has a "particular" way of doing things.
As for the honor: 100% in agreement.

Quote:
If Porsche did want to bring up their guys they would need to farm them out to other LMP teams to gain experience IMO starting now. Similar to what Pug arranged with Vernay. This season has shown the need for heightened racecraft when onboard these machines.
They already do that with Dumas and Bernhard, and if they bring Luhr back into the fold, they will have 3 experienced LMP drivers.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:25 (Ref:3005047)   #393
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Deleted
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:40 (Ref:3005049)   #394
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
They already do that with Dumas and Bernhard, and if they bring Luhr back into the fold, they will have 3 experienced LMP drivers.
What about Bleekemolen? He already has LMP1 experience and will have even more LMP experience after this season it seems.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 09:38 (Ref:3005076)   #395
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes! - most definitely another name to consider.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 09:55 (Ref:3005082)   #396
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
They will IF they prove themselves fast enough.

My concern is how do they prove themselves fast enough. Obviously you have some quick guys to set a benchmark in testing but is that enough?

Granted they have three fast drivers but that still leaves them looking for likely six more when it comes to the big race.

I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 10:44 (Ref:3005094)   #397
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
My concern is how do they prove themselves fast enough. Obviously you have some quick guys to set a benchmark in testing but is that enough?

Granted they have three fast drivers but that still leaves them looking for likely six more when it comes to the big race.

I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
You point is well taken.

They currently have (under contract) Dumas, Bernhard and Long which are very quick in LMP's. If they bring back in Luhr then the total is four.
I suspect that Lieb and Lietz will get moved up to the LMP project (now the total is six) - (Lieb is an interesting case - he is being asked to increase his role as engineer more and more).
I also suspect that there may be another current driver to move up with them (Pillet or Holzer ). (total now at seven)

I suspect that Porsche will recruit 2 drivers (possibly 3 if prediction is slightly off) from outside the fold.

This is of course, all speculation, as much water will pass beneath the bridge until then; but it is fun!

Last edited by Spyderman; 29 Dec 2011 at 10:50.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 13:16 (Ref:3005140)   #398
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Schumacher has been talking about how he considers Le Mans to be too dangerous, I don't think he'll ever come back.

Can't really say I want him to either...
The comments about Sportscars being too dangerous must have been at least 4 or 5 years ago and before he chose to do bike racing.

I am not saying it has but peoples opinions change in time which is why he is now back in F1.

Michael clearly finds it hard to stay away from racing so I wouldnt rule him out yet.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 13:39 (Ref:3005146)   #399
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Michael clearly finds it hard to stay away from racing so I wouldnt rule him out yet.
While I agree with that, I don't see him getting a factory LMP drive after he leaves F1...maybe he'll do some GT racing for fun - maybe a GTE SLS for him and Mika in 2013/14
Old 29 Dec 2011, 14:45 (Ref:3005164)   #400
colt513
Rookie

colt513 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Johnny Cocker should at least get a test. He has proven himself fast (won a race even with his less experienced team mate) and has not yet had a top flight drive.

I'm also a big fan of Marino Franchitti, even though he is a Honda man. Another underrated driver who needs a good drive (though I have a feeling he will probably get a drive in one of the 3 HPD P1 cars that are going to be in the fold next year.