Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2173481)   #76
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
The thing with a Healey is that they do require a different driving style,bit like the slating the journo's gave the MGC at its launch,if they knew how to drive one,it would not have scored so low down the rating list.Once you are aware of the lump up front, you can then deal with it.Although, personaly,I think the Healey is the nicest handling of the two.
Absolutely. On Dunlop Ls, a Healey 3000 is a delight to drive. Oversteer is prevalent in fast corners while understeer shows in slower corners; no different to a lot of other cars. In the wet, they were excellent. My car was built to Appendix K as close as was possible and I loved it. Why would I want to turn it into a pseudo modern race car and fit slicks? I could race Fiestas if that was the case.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2173487)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree Slippy,that's just how it should be.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2173489)   #78
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Here endeth todays Slippy lecture.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2173619)   #79
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
I wasn't comparing the Healey to anything (I asked for comparisons), you were. As Simon said, I was asking for direct period comparisons. I have no interest in historic cars that are built in a modern style and run on super sticky tyres. Either run pre 65 Appendix K or race something built in the last 10 years. That is MY opinion. The fact is, that a good Healey is extremely competitive in historic racing, especially the long distance races.
Thats for you views on what we SHOULD race!

I have run my TR4 for the last 20 years and have run it on what ever tyres were allowed at the time or in the championship. Only car that are pre-65 have to run these stoneage tyres. I think you will find there were fantatsic radial and sticky tyres from the 70's to the present day. Modsports - which is what we are discussing here I doubt ran on this Appendix K crappy L or M section things - they woul have run on whatever was deemed a good race tyre at the time.

Sorry but I will be racing a 71 TR6 on Yoko's in my next race for 60's and 70's Historic cars.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2173635)   #80
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were some half decent tyres back then,but certainly nothing like we have available now.Bridgestone possibly producing the best option with thier R E series tyres,but they were not produced for motorsport,being a very good road tyre.As they were road use,you were limited on sizes so in some case's you had the use CR 65s or similar.
Old 9 Apr 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2174121)   #81
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
Only car that are pre-65 have to run these stoneage tyres. I think you will find there were fantatsic radial and sticky tyres from the 70's
The TR4 is a pre 65 car, so why are we discussing sticky tyres from the 70s? In fact, why are we discussing this in the modsports thread.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 06:54 (Ref:2174284)   #82
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The TR4 is a pre 65 car, so why are we discussing sticky tyres from the 70s? In fact, why are we discussing this in the modsports thread.
Good point. I'm not so sure what this is all about. Back in the 1970s, when Midgets, Spitfires, TRs etc... were modified and had slicks, they were relatively current, not historic. As I mentioned above, they would be the equivalent of taking MX5s, MR2s etc... out today. It seems that this discussion is about the recreation of 1970s, fiddled and tweaked with, in 2008. Its a bit like Meck putting a dance beat over the top of Leo Sayer's 1977 'Thunder in my heart' in music terms.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2174443)   #83
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ok - got side tracked. So we are saying this Modsports things was on Slick!

I bet Yoko 32' / 48's are just as good today as the slicks of the 70's.

I can't see this being a go'er, no Heallys, TRs that I know of would want to run there cars on total slicks (the other caras mentioned maybe). This this is a non started if just for slick tyres. IMHO.
Old 2 May 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2192555)   #84
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hell yeah! An ex John Gott Modsport Big Healey please
A very usefull gentleman John Gott, as he is no longer with us I supose his use as Chief Constable of Northamptonshire even more so his mechanic Jock to John Chatham and myself it can be recorded, that he saved on at least two occaisions: an afore said, in the afore noon, on the afore day, whilst transgressing the legal limit of 70mph on the M!, in my case on journey's between Camberwell and Browns Lane Coventry collecting any thing usefull for a certain E-type.
Old 4 May 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2193651)   #85
Moby
Rookie

Moby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GBRM, love the programmes. Especially the first one, brings back a few memories.

When I left school I worked at 'Dick Protheroe Motors' in Husbands Bosworth, the original one, not the one that still exists in name only in Market Harborough, with one of his old mechanics. Dick was dead of course by then but his wife was still alive and used to take his old ally XK120 out for shopping trips now and again.

There were all sorts of stories told about the racing, notably CUT 7 and the modern myth of there being two of them.....there were 3!!!!

Modsports etc., could be making a modern revival in the hands of AMOC via their Super GT series, have a look at the website. It might be a place to race old and new alike.
Old 5 May 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2194387)   #86
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at that programme and seeing my local drivers John Jordan 'GT40' & Ian Richardson 'AC Cobra ,i suspect Silverstone or Snetterton and maybe early 70's 71/72 ?

Pete
Old 6 May 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2194978)   #87
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby
There were all sorts of stories told about the racing, notably CUT 7 and the modern myth of there being two of them.....there were 3!!!!
That's very true from what my late Dad told me; he bought and sold two of them over the years!!
Old 6 May 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2195204)   #88
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I think it a good thing that those three cars are still around,possibly a little conffusing for those who do not know though.Talking of E'Types,I actually know who owns the original XK E prototype[only the bulkhead survives,but it does have the chassis number on it!]
Old 6 May 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2195381)   #89
Moby
Rookie

It would be interesting to know if anyone actually realises why there were three of them?
Old 6 May 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2195441)   #90
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I now its something to do with the owner of the plate,but cannot remember the whole story!
Old 7 May 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2195795)   #91
GBRM
Veteran

England
All three cars are very different too, one lightweight racecar, one normal racer and one semi-road car from what I've been told. Also, was always quite strange seeing the two racers in the RAC TT at the Goodwood Revival with CUT7 until one of the owners put another number on as he had it MOT'd but he still kept CUT7 on the car.
Old 7 May 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2195848)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
All three cars are very different too, one lightweight racecar, one normal racer and one semi-road car from what I've been told. Also, was always quite strange seeing the two racers in the RAC TT at the Goodwood Revival with CUT7 until one of the owners put another number on as he had it MOT'd but he still kept CUT7 on the car.

All three were in the collecting area at Silverstone a few years ago,just as well they had race numbers on!
Old 7 May 2008, 12:05 (Ref:2195964)   #93
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure Protheroe retained the registration and transferred it from car to car. I know Quick retained WOO11 at first he put that on his 911. He sold the number maybe 5 years ago now.
Old 7 May 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2195972)   #94
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That is correct,I could'nt think of his name.
Old 7 May 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2196035)   #95
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm
Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure Protheroe retained the registration and transferred it from car to car. I know Quick retained WOO11 at first he put that on his 911. He sold the number maybe 5 years ago now.
I agree and my personal opinion is that historic racing falls down a bit here sometimes, especially when care become valuable. I think it's been accepted by various bodies/clubs at various times that one or the other was the "CUT7" but as we know they were three different cars so which one has the right to be know as CUT7; was one more famous than the others, is it the first/last one that Protheroe had as CUT7 is the care that carries CUT7 now?

Tricky question really and I don't know the answer (probably worhty of another thred but then it's probably been discussed before) other than the fact there are three lovely E-Types, all fantastic for different reasons so it's only a number plate issue, I think!!
Old 7 May 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2196046)   #96
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't Michael Pearson own the two racing variations? He certainly owns the lightweight and I thought he bought the one with teh big perspex back when it came up for sale a few years ago. I was always under the impression that the perspex window one was probably the most genuine and the lightweight one the most pretty. I think I am right in saying that he has retired the perspex one so the lightweight one is the only one racing but maybe the International Motorsport Consultant can put me right on this - personally speaking I would love anyone of them!
Old 7 May 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2196249)   #97
Moby
Rookie

GBRM, You're not far out. You didn't just build 3 cars for fun.......one was the short wheelbase, one was the long wheelbase and the other one,...was for scrutineering.
Old 7 May 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2196356)   #98
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
[quote=Moby]GBRM, You're not far out. You didn't just build 3 cars for fun.......
Would not know about that, the original was a lightweight one of 12 1 written off.11 exsist and all are accounted for. You fellers have got me back thinking about E's after 18 months since swearing would never restore another. The alloy cars were never accepted as Modsports. the engines had to be wet sump and on carbs. The wide angle head was not allowed, almost anything else went. The development of WOO11 was alongside the Lumsden Sargent car 49FXN first at Jack Playfords Croydon, then by me at the workshop in SE5. Gary Pearson has the original Dr Samir Klat developed 3.8 from 49FXN.We aquired a an original D head complete with inlet manifold and 3 45DCO Webers from Peter Sargent. Think the D head and cams went in the bin. when WOO2 as it was known was repatriated from the USA the DCO's were gone and a 4.2XK in the car. The last set of genuine 45DCO's I know of at auction drew 15K I would say 25K would be about right today. Frank Sytner owned 49 FXN for awhile bringing 'young Brian' over to co-drive in the TT unfortuately a liner shifted in practice. Brian drove the Red Rose car. Not sure where all the alloy cars are now my records are out of date. WOO2 was in the hands of Erich Traber in Switzerland and that is where I last saw the car. It ran at the first Le Mans classic 2001? then the papers were recalled by the FIA for the 4.2 engine. The regs allowed oversize bores up to factory am correct, sizes +030 which tickles 4 litre In 1967 Btitish GP WOO2 and Warren Pearce ran in the supporting sports car race, and I am sure those entries were the last time E-types were accepted in a full international Group 4 race. Won by a certain R Attwood in one of the Colonels Ferraris.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2232239)   #99
cut7jag
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
cut7jag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sytner never owned 49 FXN, he did drive and try to kill it at Goodwood Revival cooking the brakes b4 handing over to the second poor driver.

Thanks Gary
Old 19 Jun 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2232389)   #100
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Gary! Mr Pearson, I presume?