Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 24 Mar 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3518925)   #351
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2008 there was a company called KangarooTV renting small TVs with timing&scoring and multiple livestreams. I've been asking them every year if they will bring that service to Le Mans again but they won't for some weird reason.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3518926)   #352
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It was not very successful at Le mans, a friend tried one and it was expensive and i think the growth shortly afterwards of mobile aps on phones/tablets put them out of business
Old 24 Mar 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3518933)   #353
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that's about it Simon. James hired one in 2010, I think it was. It was interesting and sometimes useful. I don't think we watched much of the stream but it was handy for timing and scoring. Now if connections could be improved and data made cheaper, apps are clearly the way forward.....
Old 24 Mar 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3518941)   #354
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Surely its possible these days to have an event Wifi - at least in the main stands area?
Old 24 Mar 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3518947)   #355
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Surely its possible these days to have an event Wifi - at least in the main stands area?
The technology certainly exists in a confined area. A lot of modern sports stadiums are 'connected'. Ultimately these franchises want the fans to be talking about their experience, not struggling to send a tweet against a crushed 3G signal.

Again it's all about cost. If you want to buy, install and maintain an enterprise-level wifi system that's going to be pricey. And it's certainly not something that is going to stretch around the entire circuit for a quarter of a million people. I wouldn't expect it any time soon.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 12:59 (Ref:3518971)   #356
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But let's face it - 75%+ of the fans never leave the 'main' circuit area all weekend.....
Old 24 Mar 2015, 13:05 (Ref:3518972)   #357
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The technology certainly exists in a confined area. A lot of modern sports stadiums are 'connected'. Ultimately these franchises want the fans to be talking about their experience, not struggling to send a tweet against a crushed 3G signal.

Again it's all about cost. If you want to buy, install and maintain an enterprise-level wifi system that's going to be pricey. And it's certainly not something that is going to stretch around the entire circuit for a quarter of a million people. I wouldn't expect it any time soon.
Was struck by the contrast in service quality last year. At test day perfectly cheerfully streamed RLM as we ambled around the track, then during race week had progressively less and less connectivity (ending up with essentially none at all by Saturday) and only got it back when we left, drove down through town, and as we got to the Carrefour roundabout suddenly had strong consistent signal.

Appreciate it's all about bandwidth, but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of the telcos to put a few extra towers in to deliver some level of service. Strongly considering falling back on 2G for this year in the hope it might be a less congested service and allow some vestigial level of connectivity.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3518986)   #358
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But let's face it - 75%+ of the fans never leave the 'main' circuit area all weekend.....
I would be surprised if 25% actually make it out to the mulsanne or arnarge, the traffic is usually horrendous we have in some years only done the tour on Wednesday or Thursday. Within the circuit you can see quite a bit of the track from Tertre Rouge to the porsche curves so plenty to see.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3519045)   #359
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I would be surprised if 25% actually make it out to the mulsanne or arnarge, the traffic is usually horrendous we have in some years only done the tour on Wednesday or Thursday. Within the circuit you can see quite a bit of the track from Tertre Rouge to the porsche curves so plenty to see.
25% probably never make it out of their campsite
Old 24 Mar 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3519049)   #360
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I think that is perhaps a little high, after all there are no facilities in most camp sites to buy beer
Old 24 Mar 2015, 16:26 (Ref:3519062)   #361
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
I think that is perhaps a little high, after all there are no facilities in most camp sites to buy beer
Most people have enough in stock - we had 525 pints in our camp last year brought in barrels from blighty
Old 24 Mar 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3519064)   #362
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think if you actually buy more than 1 pint at the circuit (and that's only to get that year's plastic cup ) then you're doing it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
No that doesn't apply in Le Mans, in fact it doesn't apply to Sky subscribers at all and you'll need a subscription to watch Eurosport.

It's people located in the south of France using a Sky box without a subscription to pick up BBC and ITV signals who were expected to experience a drop-off in signal. In fact friends of mine living near Nice have found very little drop-off in signal with a normal 60cm dish.
thanks for the detail - for what it's worth we use a smart tv with freesat built in, have a completely clear view all around near-ish cannes and still lost signal almost completely. we never had a decent number of the uk channels in the first place. at least now the only disruption is when the wind blows the dish off course
Old 24 Mar 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3519072)   #363
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Most people have enough in stock - we had 525 pints in our camp last year brought in barrels from blighty
535 pints that should last a day or two, we tend to sample the local wine/beer but try to keep to the dark country beer rather than the lagers
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3519075)   #364
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It was not very successful at Le mans, a friend tried one and it was expensive and i think the growth shortly afterwards of mobile aps on phones/tablets put them out of business
I have to disagree, sorry, I also rented it for the whole week and loved it. Live timing, at that time not available on my cellphone, live in-car tv, all the bigscreens foottage. It even worked at the campsite. It was awesome. It was proven to be very good in F1. I think the company could not make a good deal with ACO (money) Now with modern technology (livetiming) kangaroo is probably less desired but I will rent one if it is available.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:25 (Ref:3519086)   #365
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
You have got me wrong, i thought it was quite good but expensive, the following year it was not there as you say because the ACO and the provider could not reach an agreement.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3519097)   #366
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You have got me wrong, i thought it was quite good but expensive, the following year it was not there as you say because the ACO and the provider could not reach an agreement.
It probably is my understanding (and writing) of the english laguage
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:53 (Ref:3519099)   #367
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Don't put yourself down Rene, your English is very good whilst my Dutch is even worse than my French, see you in under 3 months
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:04 (Ref:3519103)   #368
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
The traffic isn't that bad. We've had little problem getting out to Arnage and Mulsanne Corner, but then again, we don't tend to do it during the day. Evening qualifying is normally taken, one at each, and we don't get out to Arnage until about 1.30-2.00 am during the race. By then the roads are really very easy.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3519112)   #369
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
At 2.00am i am getting a few hours reat before getting up before sunrise as usual, i know some people think i am a lite weight for grabbing a few hours sleep but i need to drive home on sunday and have not missed the sunrise on sunday for many years,
Old 24 Mar 2015, 19:00 (Ref:3519121)   #370
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Don't put yourself down Rene, your English is very good whilst my Dutch is even worse than my French, see you in under 3 months
Only 80 days now until start.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3519131)   #371
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
which means about 75 until i leave
Old 25 Mar 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3519306)   #372
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At 2.00am i am getting a few hours reat before getting up before sunrise as usual, i know some people think i am a lite weight for grabbing a few hours sleep but i need to drive home on sunday and have not missed the sunrise on sunday for many years,
My problem every year is that I can't pull myself away at sensible o'clock so can't then get up for sunrise. Never seen it at Le Mans.

I'm usually sparked out from 3 am - 7 am and can't seem to break that habit.

Lack of stamina I guess but we do the event quite hard (drive, beer, circuit) and fast (Friday - Monday am).
Old 26 Mar 2015, 14:31 (Ref:3519873)   #373
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The sunrise isn't that important for me - it signals the end of the night, which I always find rather sad. Staying up for the full period where they race in darkness is what motivates me. One thing is for sure, copious amounts of beer and staying up all night rarely go together.....
Old 26 Mar 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3519909)   #374
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I agree Andrew, always had my fill of beer before the saturday evening, but i do like to always see the sun rise it is now a tradition for me, but unless i get some sleep i would never last the long drive back on Sunday.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 16:18 (Ref:3519923)   #375
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's fair enough Simon, I always appreciate the luxury of being driven!