Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Feb 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2396998)   #401
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Well Penelope pitstop is one of our posters. Races with the MGCC if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway seeing as you have a car that complies I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Me on the other hand, can't enter my car for anything.

What you need is a nice FIA MGB,even the most Anti B poster on here is thinking of getting one.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2397018)   #402
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True. But how many nice ones are there?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2397046)   #403
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
According to 'the masters' theres going to be some novelty races at this event as well as their own

I very much look forward to meeting Penelope pit stop if thats the case

what a bunch of patronising ******s they are
Masters entries are out and they only have 3 grids - GP Masters, WSM (evening race) and Gent Drivers. I don't think the novelty races they referred to are anything to do with Masters.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2397047)   #404
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nice ones? How many legal ones?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2397086)   #405
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Novelty race and an evening race, seems like this will be one event to avoid this year. Perhaps this is why it is not on the Siverstone website yet!!!!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2397160)   #406
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know of only one thats completely legal as well as being nice.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2397244)   #407
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not anti B just the people that go on endlessly about what is a mundane type of car that really played no significant part in the History of Motorsport.No he will not be getting one,came to his senses and sold rather than bought cars in present conditions

Pre War race should be reasonable and am intrigued with the Edwardian idea.
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2397373)   #408
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Not anti B just the people that go on endlessly about what is a mundane type of car that really played no significant part in the History of Motorsport...........
I really cannot let that one go - not too many cars went 84 hours round the old Nurburgring (Nord+Sud) and WON :-)
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2397377)   #409
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought it may get a reaction,What else?Five famous Belgians at same time?
Old 14 Feb 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2397380)   #410
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol.

John. You are being somewhat harsh but as it happens I know three famous racing Belgians without even thinking and I'm sure there are others, its just not for this thread. oops, there's that reaction again.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2400102)   #411
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.silverstoneclassic.com/
I`m starting to lose confidence.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2400107)   #412
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Assuming it happens there are no races for small engined sports racers again and Masters make the understandable point that you need to enter other Master's race weekends to ensure that you get the nod for Silverstone so I think I will be enjoying my garden that weekend!
Old 19 Feb 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2400163)   #413
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Assuming it happens there are no races for small engined sports racers again and Masters make the understandable point that you need to enter other Master's race weekends to ensure that you get the nod for Silverstone so I think I will be enjoying my garden that weekend!
Simon, I don't know which Masters race(s) you were thinking about at the Classic but have just had my entry for their 2 GDGT races confirmed without having entered any others this season. I'm sure organisers appreciate that a lot of us won't be able to throw money at racing this year!
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2400535)   #414
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasted
www.silverstoneclassic.com/
I`m starting to lose confidence.
It is the weekend before Oldtimer GP in Germany, a country known for their efficiency. Someone just posted on that thread that info and entries would be available in April. Does anyone cut Silverstone Classic the same break. No way.

There is so much negative sentiment and feeling towards one of the great British historic events. I've seen some of what is planned and believe it will be bigger and better than 2008.

Patience......
Old 20 Feb 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2400743)   #415
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very well said, Roger!
Old 21 Feb 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2401262)   #416
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well said Roger, I agree.

Theres a lot of hard work going on in the background, these big meetings don't just happen on their own.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2401378)   #417
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

More people will want to race at the Festival this year as they will not be travelling to Europe.Masters forms have been out for a week and the other organisers are not far behind.Think its the one meeting where you have to act quickly.Would be very suprised if Grids were not full except that Edwardian race unless they are accepting all those VSCC Aero Specials.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2404154)   #418
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Seems they are having pre 63 GT Race for proper Road/Race cars.That could be good as chops out GT 40's and 904's.It leaves an interesting bunch of cars.
Carol Spagg invitation and agreed grid..
Old 25 Feb 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2404160)   #419
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This makes is sound like a Goodwood TT revival race, hope we get to see plenty of 250 GTO's.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2404507)   #420
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Why,How many people race their GTO's these days.Nick Mason seems to have retired and I am not aware of any others.May see those 250 Shortwheelbase cars against Astons and E's .There is a list of eligible cars.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2404529)   #421
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
One of the best races I witnessed at a Festival (1994?) involved an unpainted 250 SWB chasing down an Aston and another car (escapes at present). It was driven by an American guy with some brio.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2404570)   #422
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not many GTO's change hands so those people that used to do Coys,Challenge,Tour Auto etc with them have retired from racing and do tours of France,California etc( usually with their latest wife.)
Old 26 Feb 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2404580)   #423
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
am I a complete heathen for admitting that I prefer the shape of a 250 SWB? I have been invited to go for lunch on Sunday - does anyone know what will be on late morning/early afternoon? It was a great shame last year the Group C race was so late as had called it a day by then!
Old 26 Feb 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2404633)   #424
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, I love the SWB. That and the Aston Zagato are IMO the most beautiful GT's ever to grace the planet. Apart from the Capr................................... Mpmpfllmpos!"£$.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2404637)   #425
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Those GTO things are not that good to drive although one well respected owner sold his DB 4 GT as he reckoned it was not a patch on his GTO.The 250SWB Ally also went!

Tags
historic racing, pre '63 gts