Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2548349)   #51
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by focuszetec View Post
Does anyone know what the Dunlop Great and British Event at Brands Hatch was classed as Nat A or Nat B?
Rockingham was Nat B, if that helps?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2548586)   #52
focuszetec
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
focuszetec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Rockingham was Nat B, if that helps?
Thanks for that i would assume its the same, although assuming does make an ass out of you and me!!
Old 26 Sep 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2548786)   #53
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another quick question-when a meeting has several licences (I noticed BTCC has Nat A, B & International), do you just put the highest grade or all grades?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2548806)   #54
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can do either. Personally I put Nat A/B or Int/NatA/B or something similar but you could just put the highest one.

It's probably also worth the reminder at this time that the usual set up is that sign on for the GP is on the Thursday evening so if selected you will have to be at the circuit (wherever that might be...) to sign on and be briefed on the Thursday evening and you will be issued with your tabard etc. You can't plan to show up on Friday morning (unless you've cleared it with your chief previously and frankly it's a bit tricky for most disciplines especially if you're a newbie).

There is usually someone who gets taken by surprise by this and yes, for most of us it does mean an additional day or half day off work.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2549207)   #55
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where can i find out what class each event i did is?
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2549222)   #56
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
where can i find out what class each event i did is?
It's always listed in the race programme.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2549228)   #57
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
It might be worth searching for last year's thread...but to start...(and apologies for those I miss)

International: BGT, F3, A1GP, BTCC, WTCC, DTM, LMS, WSR,

National B: pretty well everything else these days including Britcar, GT Cup, Lotus on Track, Ginetta. I can't off the top of my head think of anything that is Nat A but I'm sure there are some - Formula Renault perhaps?

You can check it by looking at the section of the programme where the officials are named, that will also state the permit type. You may well find a mix so a meeting will have an international permit and a national B permit. I'd just show the higher level.
Some here from earlier in the thread, there have been some others confirmed as well.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2549234)   #58
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see Bernie has told Donington they are running out of time, however, he added Silverstone was not a guaranteed stand-by option for 2010.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2549242)   #59
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
thanx but not helps as i dont keep programmes lol
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2549251)   #60
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post
thanx but not helps as i dont keep programmes lol
Also printed on supplementary regs. E.G. regs for next weekend's BTCC meeting at Brands Hatch, included with tickets, shows International, Nat A and Nat B, but not which race is which.

Seriously, if you use the guidelines (#57) given for Internationals and Nat.A/B for the rest, I do not think it will be a big problem.

Last edited by Bryan Degerlund; 27 Sep 2009 at 17:36. Reason: added detail + spelling
Old 27 Sep 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2549252)   #61
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Apart from the infamous HSCC meeting at Donington in April (the one with the waved yellows around the new tunnel)! They must have had to print the programs well before they got the licence (the day before, I think) so there's no mention of it in the program. Anyone any idea what this might have been? I'll just put nat b if unsure-I've done plenty of other days so shouldn't be a problem.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2549277)   #62
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apart from the infamous HSCC meeting at Donington in April (the one with the waved yellows around the new tunnel)! They must have had to print the programs well before they got the licence
HSCC meetings are generally Nat B.
Old 27 Sep 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2549286)   #63
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and for the less organised of us, who failed to keep either the programme or the supplementary regs that come with the passes for each event, is there a list anywhere where we can look back on the events?

Having now learnt that this is useful information (especially for just this occasion), it will be added to my spreadsheet of marshalling days for future events...
Old 27 Sep 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2549288)   #64
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have missed this info out on some past applications and it has not stopped me getting picked for BGP....
Old 27 Sep 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2549300)   #65
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
HSCC meetings are generally Nat B.

Thanks for that.

Now can anyone give me a definitive answer for this one please:-

I had my upgrade assessment at the last meeting I did, from trainee to track marshal. I have done over twice the required days this season, but obviously all at trainee grade. Am I eligible to apply for the 2010 GP?

I have got varying responses from other marshals, mostly erring towards 'no'. I don't want to waste anyone's time by sending an application in on the off chance.

Thanks in advance
Old 27 Sep 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2549313)   #66
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
and for the less organised of us, who failed to keep either the programme or the supplementary regs that come with the passes for each event, is there a list anywhere where we can look back on the events?

Having now learnt that this is useful information (especially for just this occasion), it will be added to my spreadsheet of marshalling days for future events...
You read my post above and you post on here to ask - it's not difficult, really it's not....

You should include this information as it helps to give chiefs and the selection committee the information about the type of meetings you have attended over a year. If it wasn't wanted, then it would be requested on the form
Old 27 Sep 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2549388)   #67
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks for that.

Now can anyone give me a definitive answer for this one please:-

I had my upgrade assessment at the last meeting I did, from trainee to track marshal. I have done over twice the required days this season, but obviously all at trainee grade. Am I eligible to apply for the 2010 GP?

I have got varying responses from other marshals, mostly erring towards 'no'. I don't want to waste anyone's time by sending an application in on the off chance.

Thanks in advance
I'd give it a go. Chances are pretty slim, but if you don't apply, then you have no chance at all.
Phil
Old 27 Sep 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2549393)   #68
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You read my post above and you post on here to ask - it's not difficult, really it's not....

You should include this information as it helps to give chiefs and the selection committee the information about the type of meetings you have attended over a year. If it wasn't wanted, then it would be requested on the form
My bad - I only skimmed most of the posts, and missed that one.

Info saved for reference.

Cheers,
David
Old 27 Sep 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2549395)   #69
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apart from the infamous HSCC meeting at Donington in April (the one with the waved yellows around the new tunnel)! They must have had to print the programs well before they got the licence (the day before, I think) so there's no mention of it in the program. Anyone any idea what this might have been? I'll just put nat b if unsure-I've done plenty of other days so shouldn't be a problem.
Well thats not good, as the permit for the meeting is one of the first things you have to get and should be with the secretary of the meeting well before the programme goes to print and if I remember correctly the type of permit Nat A etc and also the permit number have to be listed in the programme, its usually with the list of officials.

I can't remember who posted it but there was a good guide to what's what in a post in this thread somewhere.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2549607)   #70
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
[QUOTE=chezza;2549395]Well thats not good, as the permit for the meeting is one of the first things you have to get and should be with the secretary of the meeting well before the programme goes to print and if I remember correctly the type of permit Nat A etc and also the permit number have to be listed in the programme, its usually with the list of officials.QUOTE]

The circumstances were pretty unusual for this meeting! The circuit was refused a licence on the basis that the work for the GP had made the circuit unsafe ( there was hardly any run off around the new tunnel). Work was done & the licence was granted at about 6.30pm on the friday, on the basis that the section around the tunnel would be under permanent waved yellows. The clubs (there was an MG meeting on saturday, HSCC sunday) were promised the work would be done so programs were printed but obviously without permit numbers.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2549634)   #71
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
Quote:
International: BGT, F3, A1GP, BTCC, WTCC, DTM, LMS, WSR,
National B: pretty well everything else these days including Britcar, GT Cup, Lotus on Track, Ginetta. I can't off the top of my head think of anything that is Nat A but I'm sure there are some - Formula Renault perhaps?
i think this will help

thanx piglet
Old 28 Sep 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2549644)   #72
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is just a random thought but I suspect that GP2010 might not have the same marshal support as 2009.

Pre 2008, due to the pro-GP / anti-GP split, I'd say that having a grade above trainee, twelve races under your belt and a pulse gave you a pretty good chance of selection. The LH effect (plus 'last Silverstone GP') in 2009 created a sudden enthusiasm and a glut of marshals with the result that many highly experienced people were turned away.

I suspect 2010 with the Silvertone/Donny debacle, major brands leaving the game, two tier engines and all that stuff, will return the numbers of volunteers back to 'normal' levels.

The days of a typical GP post having a Silverstone I/O assisted by a team of other I/O's or highly experienced senior marshals are long gone.

So, if you think your chances are borderline, and you have a working pulse, I'd certainly encourage newer marshals to get their forms in.
Phil
Old 28 Sep 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2549907)   #73
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[The clubs (there was an MG meeting on saturday, HSCC sunday) were promised the work would be done so programs were printed but obviously without permit numbers.
Having skimmed through a couple of HSCC programmes dating from the last few seasons, it would appear that the club does not print permit numbers. In the case of Donington, the Masters Racing Club's programme from their event at the circuit (in which the permit was granted the day before the meeing) features a permit number and status, which would suggest that the events that occured in the run up to the HSCC meeting did not contribute to the exlcusion of a permit number from the programme.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2549958)   #74
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
This is just a random thought but I suspect that GP2010 might not have the same marshal support as 2009.
And it's also the day of the World Cup final so may struggle for spectators too.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2549963)   #75
one wooden leg
Rookie

United Kingdom
wiltshire
one wooden leg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do more than 12 meetings every year but have not had an invite since it was at brands now thats some years back !!!!