Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2003, 09:10 (Ref:544986)   #1
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS Device

It said on ITV that Rubens raced without his HANs device, how come if it is mandatory?

Also looks as if Justin Wilson suffered from wearing it. Why is HANS causing these problems?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:00 (Ref:545058)   #2
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you see Alonso when he got out of the car, looked like he was having big problems with his shoulders. Wonder how much longer HANS can last, as a compulsary measure at least?
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:05 (Ref:545068)   #3
DivineF1
Rookie

Cyprus
Nicosia, Cyprus
DivineF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Barrichello won special dispensation to ditch the Head and Neck Support (HANS) after lodging complaints with race stewards and medical officials." www.f1-live.com

As for HANS: http://www.f1nutter.co.uk/tech/hans_device.php
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:10 (Ref:545076)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens could'nt have raced without HANS, he would have been disqualified if he did.......

the problem with Justin was that the HANS device was pushing too hard on 1 of his shoulders causing a reduction in the bloodflow in his left arm.

Justin also suffered because his car did'nt have powersteer, Jos had it on the car this weekend(for the first time) because his personal sponsor Muermans payed for it. Minardi does'nt have money for powersteer on both cars every race, so the Brazillian GP would be the first race where they were going to use it.But mr. Muermans has made a deal with the team, the team would only have to pay for 33% of the costs, he would also pay 33%(wich is easy for him since his is one of the richest people in Holland) and Justin's sponsors another 33%, but Justin's sponsors did'nt pay for this weekend so he did'nt get the powersteer system.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:11 (Ref:545077)   #5
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso looked more like he was about to collapse - they had to hold him up - didn't look like a shoulder/neck problem to me.

They've been using HANS int he states for a while - anyone heard of them having problems?

Last edited by Francesca; 23 Mar 2003 at 10:12.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:20 (Ref:545096)   #6
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could it be because they haven't had their own, personalised models made yet? when DC got out of the car after retireing his HANS device had his name on it. Therefore, they have to use standard models which still work, but because people being different body shapes and sizes it will affect some people better than others, surely the same standard model will work the same for Alonso (5ft blob) and Wilson (6ft 5).
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:24 (Ref:545106)   #7
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Rubens could'nt have raced without HANS, he would have been disqualified if he did.......

Well he didn't have one on when he got out the car.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:25 (Ref:545110)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Hahn
Did you see Alonso when he got out of the car, looked like he was having big problems with his shoulders. Wonder how much longer HANS can last, as a compulsary measure at least?
Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
Alonso looked more like he was about to collapse - they had to hold him up - didn't look like a shoulder/neck problem to me.

Not HANS, Alonso has been suffering all weekend with some sort of virus...brilliant drive for him under the circumstances.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:29 (Ref:545116)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
the heat was also a big problem, both men from a LOCAL Malasian TV crew fainted while filming in the pits(and they should be used to it).

also 2 Minardi mechanics had problems, they where only just back in the box after running through that long pitlane when Jos came in for a new rear wing. after they had fitted the new wing one of the mechanics fainted and another started throwing up.

Last edited by steve nielsen; 23 Mar 2003 at 10:29.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:31 (Ref:545121)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthopps
could it be because they haven't had their own, personalised models made yet? when DC got out of the car after retireing his HANS device had his name on it. Therefore, they have to use standard models which still work, but because people being different body shapes and sizes it will affect some people better than others, surely the same standard model will work the same for Alonso (5ft blob) and Wilson (6ft 5).
I'm not sure how you work this out. The 'standard model' will not be able to adapt to a big height difference, because so many parts have to be custom moulded. Note that Wilson is the tallest driver in F1, and Heidfeld the smallest, and they have had the most problems (other than Rubens, who complains about everything).

This thing shouldn't've been made mandatory from the start of the season, there were murmurings of discntent, it hadn't been tested enough, and not enough research had been done.

If Justin suffers significantly from this, Minardi should make an official complaint to the FIA, as its their responsibility. Getting that car to the finish would've been a major boost to Justin's confidence.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:35 (Ref:545127)   #11
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so will Rubens end up disqualified? it seems odd that he'd be allowed to race without a MANDATORY system....
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:50 (Ref:545146)   #12
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
he has/had the flu
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:58 (Ref:545151)   #13
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
so will Rubens end up disqualified? it seems odd that he'd be allowed to race without a MANDATORY system....
As far as I understood, Renault claims that Rubens was wearing the HANS device on top of his seat belts.

IIRC, FIA introduced a new rule on the saterday of the Melbourne race,weekend, stating that the drivers should wear HANS underneath their seat belts.

--------

If all HANS devices are made by the FIA, and it takes them 4-5 weeks to deliver them, I would say that they can not disqualify anybody who wears the HANS device on top of the belts before 5 weeks after the introduction of this new rule.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 11:07 (Ref:545161)   #14
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Jos did the same in Australia(wearing the HANS on top of the seatbelts)during FP but was told he could'nt.

and indeed: only 1 company produces ALL HANS devices(not only for F1 but also for CART,IRL,NASCAR and DTM) wich have to be tested by the FIA first before a driver can use it.

and that takes 4 to 5 weeks....

Last edited by steve nielsen; 23 Mar 2003 at 11:09.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 11:42 (Ref:545205)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello is not going to be DQ'd, Prof. Sid Watkins gave him a special permission. However, now every other driver could complain about it...
Old 23 Mar 2003, 12:12 (Ref:545234)   #16
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC said he'd developed his own bespoke system and that was something to do with double thickness seatbelts.
Renault are also supposed to have made their own changes to make it work for their drivers.
But the drivers shouldn't have to go through this for an unproven device (in F1.) It's certainly seems to be causing more problems than it solves.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 12:39 (Ref:545243)   #17
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wilson in hospital

Justin Wilson's Malaysian Grand Prix ended with the 24-year-old British driver being taken off to hospital after he lost all feeling in both arms because of an ill-fitting HANS device.

It took the Minardi team eight minutes to get Wilson out of the car and he was then taken off to hospital as he was unable to move his arms and had no feeling at all. Even a couple of hours after the race he was still unable to move his arms.

"He was in a terrible state," said his manager Jonathan Palmer. "I don't know how he drove the car back to the pits."

Palmer said that Wilson will be fine in time for the Brazilian GP in two weeks.

The problem appears to have been caused because one of the seats belts slipped off the HANS device and caused it to twist slightly which meant that pressure was being applied in the wrong places.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 12:54 (Ref:545250)   #18
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HANS device has been used for several years WITHOUT problems in many other series of both road and oval racing. It seems that the problems the F1 drivers are having is due to trying to use the device in a way it was not designed.

I know that several circuit doctors, including one who is an a&e consultant, feel that it should be made manditory in all racing.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 15:18 (Ref:545340)   #19
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making it Mandatory in all racing ??? does that include club racing.

The extra work / costs in adapting cars / helmets and constant saftey checks on cars and helmets would be a massive problem for club racing
Old 23 Mar 2003, 15:22 (Ref:545341)   #20
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson went to the hospital because of his arms being numb from the tight seat configuration and the Hans device that he wore. Worst of all the power steering went out during the race and had to drop out. It took around forty minutes for Wilson to get out since he lost feeling in both arms.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 15:25 (Ref:545343)   #21
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson didn't have power steering at all in his car.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 15:55 (Ref:545362)   #22
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Indeed, that's what I said. Jos had powersteer because one of his personal sponsors decided to pay for it(but he did'nt have it in Australia where he also finished the race), but Wilson did'nt have powersteer.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 16:30 (Ref:545408)   #23
Vw gti 16v
Racer

Vw gti 16v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree if it is mandatory rubens shouldnt escape i bet its not comfortable for ne of the drivers but they have to live with it
Old 23 Mar 2003, 16:32 (Ref:545412)   #24
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you watched when DC got out of his failed car, he was having problems to. The HANS had twisted sideways and he had to wrench it back straight again. I think that there is no reason for it not to be mandatory at all the top levels. There is no way I can see where it could realistically hurt you. I don't exactly see JV as a medical resource in this.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 16:41 (Ref:545424)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely cannot believe that a Ferrari driver didn't get his own customized HANS already. So I take Ruben's complaints very seriously.

Yup, just one company that makes the HANS, Jim Downing's firm. Though I wonder how much the rulemakers in various series have invested in the growth of that company.

Hey, it's a question worth asking!

Tags
hans