Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2003, 05:33 (Ref:740039)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question re: JPM to Mclaren

There have been rumours circling the f1 media that JPM will go to McLaren in 04 or 05, the latest person to perpetuate this rumour was Jackie Stewart. But, pardon my somewhat hesitation to believe this rumour, for one main reason. It seems that McLaren has built its imagine into that of a profesional, mechanical and somewhat silent driving unit. Descriptions such as, 'boring' and 'looks / acts more like a scene from Star Wars' seems to reiterate their public imagine which seperates them profesionally from all other teams in formula one.

With JPM's recent outburst at a camera man, where he swore and got close to a fight, I do not see McLaren taking on such a lose cannon. I do not see why they would bother taking on such a driver, who does not fit in the stereotypical profile of a Mac driver, when Webber seems so obvious in the choice.

His PR qualities, his car development comitment and his polite demeaner replace DC's advantages to the team. Webber is also a quick driver, who does not seem to throw the car around too much.

Any thoughts on why McLaren would even consider JPM?

p.s I do not, and am not saying JPM isnt worth such a strong seat, just his demeaner, and personality does not fit nicely in with the personality vacuum that is McLaren.

Last edited by SetikX; 4 Oct 2003 at 05:33.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 07:11 (Ref:740067)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because he's a good driver? Hey they took Mansell in 1995. They took Hunt the Shunt all those years ago. He wasn't exactly a publicity robot was he?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 07:56 (Ref:740089)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst you can't compare eras I would say that the two earlier characters were just that "charachters" with a strong willed determionation, whilst JPM seems to be a bit of a spoiled brat at times and yes that doesn't fit with the Macaroon image.

Driver T makes a good point though and at the end of the day its performance that counts.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 08:12 (Ref:740099)   #4
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Hey they took Mansell in 1995.
Didn't last all that long though, did it! Wasn't it only 2 races?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 08:38 (Ref:740122)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 08:47 (Ref:740130)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Won't happen,2005 it will be Kimi Raikkonen/Scott Dixon at McLaren,they'll be unbeatable.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 09:40 (Ref:740171)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

Surely Dixon will end up at Toyota?
Old 4 Oct 2003, 09:42 (Ref:740172)   #8
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No he's talking with Mac,Williams and Ferrari,he doesn't want to drive a mid feilder like Toyota.And the big three are very interested in him.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 09:46 (Ref:740178)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

How long is he contracted to Toyota (Ganassi) in the IRL then?

By 2005, Toyota may not be that far off the top 3!
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:11 (Ref:740223)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Question re: JPM to Mclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX

Any thoughts on why McLaren would even consider JPM?

Senna was an "unpredictable" character, but Ron couldn't wait to take him on, same with JPM. Look at it this way, there are going to be 3 or 4 top drivers in the near future, now, if theres 4 top drivers and Ron's got 2 of them, it's doesn't take much to work out that his teams got less drivers to beat.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:13 (Ref:740225)   #11
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Contract smontract,if he gets an F1 seat Ganassis piece of paper won't be worth anything,Dixons manager used to drive a Red car with a prancy horse on it,I pick Scotty will end up there in the fullness of time,this guy is good.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:35 (Ref:740242)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Question re: JPM to Mclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Senna was an "unpredictable" character, but Ron couldn't wait to take him on, same with JPM.

It was actually Prost who suggested to RD to hire Senna IIRC.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:40 (Ref:740244)   #13
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Question re: JPM to Mclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
It was actually Prost who suggested to RD to hire Senna IIRC.
Gave millions a special era and himself a major headache at times.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 12:36 (Ref:740265)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote :"Any thoughts on why McLaren would even consider JPM?"

Simply because he's one of the most promising future star besides Kimi, Alonso and Webber.. And did anybody say JPM is unpredictable? Yeah...but Mclaren already had a predictable and cool Finn, they don't need a clone but a different character. Mclaren and more importantly Mercedes is trying shake off its "all business and dull" image and JPM would help add a little excitement and youth to their product endorsement too. Not to mention that JPM's huge popularity, something which most of the other top drivers "lack", is important for Mercedes to try compete and grab a bigger pie in the US auto market? All these above reasons, on track or off, are some of the positives why Mclaren may consider JPM, which i'm sure they'd consider..
Old 4 Oct 2003, 13:35 (Ref:740284)   #15
esorniloc
Veteran

Why would JPM want to go to McLaren??????

He has been at Williams as an F1 driver for 3 years now and has got closer to the title each year, winning 3 races. In the last 2 years the Williams car has been getting better and genually better than McLaren.

BMW seem to have the engine sorted and next year will probably be no change, so would a move to McLaren not be a step back in JPM's eyes??????
Old 4 Oct 2003, 18:24 (Ref:740480)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree esorniloc, why would JPM leave Williams now for anyone else, especially when there so close to Ferrari?

Whats all this talk about Dixon? Has this been rumored? The IRL is quite a different animal than F1, would he be up to the challenge?:confused:

Danica Patrick

Tags
jpm