Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:27 (Ref:3508315)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Cause of Fernando Alonso's Crash

I read that McLaren are blaming the wind for Alonso's accident.

I wonder what he had for breakfast to cause that?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:34 (Ref:3508319)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought that myself, he's probably not used to a "full engish with a fried slice" having being used to the Ferrari "lightly sautéed hearts of young tifosi"
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:35 (Ref:3508321)   #3
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard he had nothing at all for breakfast... all winter. Perhaps that was the problem?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 11:04 (Ref:3508347)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Maybe Button put some beans in the fuel tank?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3508348)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being the cynic I am when it comes to stuff like this I see too many words for what should have been one paragraph. Carry on and let's see who can conjure up the best conspiracy story.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3508355)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Being the cynic I am when it comes to stuff like this I see too many words for what should have been one paragraph. Carry on and let's see who can conjure up the best conspiracy story.
What Alonso had for breakfast, if indeed he had breakfast, on that fateful day we may never know, however, we can be absolutely certain of one thing!
The accident was caused by wind, as McLaren, that bastion of truth and honesty, have told us so.

I am sorry, but I can not conjure up a conspiracy theory try as I might.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3508361)   #7
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must have had bananas!!!!!!!!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3508384)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sniff Petrol (as usual) have their own slant on this:
http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/02/24/al...vers-bad-news/
Old 24 Feb 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3508391)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm going to change my username to Dr Ernando Falonso.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3508414)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'm going to change my username to Dr Ernando Falonso.
Well I always thought Paradise City was a silly name

Do I smell a conspiracy here?

Bauble (What could be more sensible than that?)
Old 24 Feb 2015, 15:16 (Ref:3508420)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm with sniff on this.

he's throwing an elaborate sickie to avoid doing all the cold crappy test work
Old 24 Feb 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3508431)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Extended stay is due to the surprisingly good hospital food!

Richard
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:48 (Ref:3508460)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some form of returned from the dead martin whitmarsh. maybe in poltergeist form or maybe zombie and alonso is now infected.

zombie alonso for wdc!
Old 25 Feb 2015, 09:37 (Ref:3508733)   #14
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a third night in hospital? I'm starting to get a little concerned now. I mean, I'm sure he'll be fine, but there is quite obviously more to the story than a simple concussion, so what's going on and why do the details have to be so guarded?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 11:32 (Ref:3508759)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
So a third night in hospital? I'm starting to get a little concerned now. I mean, I'm sure he'll be fine, but there is quite obviously more to the story than a simple concussion, so what's going on and why do the details have to be so guarded?
Just because someone is a top class racing driver doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to their privacy, especially concerning medical details and possible issues.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 11:52 (Ref:3508763)   #16
Clervaux
Rookie

Clervaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely more to this story than meets the eye. This is no regular concussion and McLaren may have a difficult time explaining his continued hospital stay away.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3508768)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I have to say that I am rather confused by all of this. Obviously I didn't see the crash, or the car afterwards so cannot speculate as to how serious the impact was. However, we have read reassuring reports from McLaren that there was nothing too bad.
Yet, here is the driver (who we were told was OK after the accident) staying a third night in hospital.
If something as (apparently) innocuous as this had happened during a race weekend, I would have expected the driver to be back in the car the following day.
I hope that Alonso is OK and that this is just an example of over cautiousness, but it does seem a little weird to say the least. (Plus, if there is something wrong with the car that has caused some sort of injury we're not aware of, what about Button's testing at the next session this week?)
Old 25 Feb 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3508773)   #18
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A relatively innocuous looking crash can still result in nasty injuries - I remember one that Mike Jordan had in the BTCC at Silverstone a few years ago, side on into the barrier at relatively low speed (so not too different from what we know about the Alonso crash), which ended up with him airlifted to hospital with a serious head injury and a punctured lung. We have been told that FA was suffering from concussion when he was taken to hospital but "no other injuries".

Given the concerns about concussion in sport generally at the moment I'm not at all surprised to see every care being taken that he's ok.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3508776)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
So a third night in hospital?
It was a strong wind

If this episode turns out to be more than wind McLaren have painted themselves into a corner with their media release. It will be interesting if they have to retract what they said.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3508832)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I have to say that I am rather confused by all of this....
Yeah also hope this is just a case of cautiousness but can't help but but wonder why there are seemingly two stories here, one version from the team and another coming from Alonso's manager.

Sadly I can't help but think that it didn't take long for these two groups to fall off of the same page....again really.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3508940)   #21
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Just because someone is a top class racing driver doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to their privacy, especially concerning medical details and possible issues.
I agree with this and if the team or Alonso's manager stated his stay in hospital was due to medical reasons unrelated to the crash I would leave it at that.

But Alonso is where he is because of the sport, because of the people who pay money to support F1. If he has a more serious injury due to the sport I believe the fans should be informed of the situation.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 14:01 (Ref:3509276)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
If there's a mystery surrounding a high profile public figure, people are going to spectacle. How right/wrong that is, is one debate, but speculation is inevitable.

I would say that there is some kind of peculiar medical event that occurred here, that left no traces. That's why he was kept in for three days - to cover the bases of what it might be. But if the guy is found healthy and there's no detectable causes, he's released. Tests can take time to process so until those tests are definitive that there's nothing wrong best not step back into the car. I don't see him in hospital because he's in a huff with Mclaren or something of that nature.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3509314)   #23
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People see conspiracies in everything these days. Given recent events it's no wonder they're being ultra cautious. The same thing is happening in other sports as well.

Imagine if they just checked him over at the medical centre and then he started slurring his words in an interview a few hours later. People would be all over the forums about inadequate care then.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3509392)   #24
mikuni
Veteran

There is a difference between "being checked over" and being kept in for 3 nights and counting. Mclaren are now saying Alonso may not be able to race in Melbourne.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3509393)   #25
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having read a lot about the Alonso situation and assuming we are being told the truth by McLaren and Alonso's manager I have come up with a theory.

There are 2 possible explations as to why Alonso spent so long in hospital.
One is that he had/has an underlying condition that may have contributed to the crash. The other is they found he had some other medical problem when they carried out the tests while in hospital.
All we have been told is that he was not injured in the crash and I can see no other resnoble explanations.