Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:22 (Ref:632385)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2004 and the future of Sportscars

Its 10 years since the end of Group C and IMSA GTP.

We've had the false downs in Europe of the GT1 class and FIA GT that looked like it could develope into the new Group C. FIA SCC showed promise but faded to while the ELMS was launched at the wrong time into a crowded market.

In the US theres been the well documented troubles of IMSA and what followed with US sportscars balancing on the edge of existence.

Looking towards 2004 however we have the ALMS which seems to have established itself into a series that can survive with or without works teams.

In Europe the FIA GT series has established itself as a stable series for true GT cars while the new LMES will revive the 1000K sportscar classics that have been missing for such a long time. The short 4 race series will give Euro LMP teams a great arena to race in and due to intergration with the FIA GT schedule will enable FIA GT teams to also compete in true long distance, prestige endurance races in addition to the 'sprint' FIA GT races, as some already do at LM, Sebring and PLM.

At last we have co-operation between the ACO/IMSA/FIA(Ratel/SRO) and I believe can look forward to a long stable and succesful period of sportscar racing.

Ecclestone and the FIA can also no longer use sportscars as a feeder series for F1 due to the EU rulings stopping governing bodies (FIA) from also owning the commercial rights, and blocking new non FIA series such as the new ACO run LMES.

Last edited by JAG; 15 Jun 2003 at 22:26.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:32 (Ref:632391)   #2
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm optimistic too about next year.... let's cross fingers and hope the best for Sportscars

Last edited by Fulvio; 15 Jun 2003 at 22:34.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:39 (Ref:632397)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Fulvio
I'm optimistic too about next year.... let's cross fingers and hope the best for Sportscars
Me too!
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:46 (Ref:632402)   #4
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And hope for the return of porsche (though I don't expect it) and Audi works teams.

(By the way, if the new Le Mans series is going to visit the Nurburgring, maybe it could revive the old 1000Km race on the Nordschleife)
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:53 (Ref:632410)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
And hope for the return of porsche (though I don't expect it) and Audi works teams.

(By the way, if the new Le Mans series is going to visit the Nurburgring, maybe it could revive the old 1000Km race on the Nordschleife)
Too dnagerous for prototypes.

Expect Porsche back in 2005.

I'm looking forward to the manufactuers few have mentioned such as Mazda, Lola, Courage, Masarati and the unknowns who always pop up and suprise us
Old 15 Jun 2003, 23:12 (Ref:632425)   #6
917Addicted
Racer

Nah, a Porsche 956 or even a 908 are much more dangerous than a Courage, Audi or Dome

If in the past it was done, so should it be done in the future
Old 15 Jun 2003, 23:28 (Ref:632430)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
Think its more to do with marshelling the track and Ambulance cover than the inherent safety of the circuit itself.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 23:34 (Ref:632434)   #8
917Addicted
Racer

If only:

- we could rid of the chicanes at the Hunaudières Straight;
- race the 'Ring 1000Km at the old Nordschleife;
- revive the Targa Florio and (shall I say it) the IoM TT

You can only but hope (hum, maybe in some years time with a PC )
Old 16 Jun 2003, 11:55 (Ref:632867)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
My only fear is that prototypes aren't going to have many opportunities to race. Four LMT races, Le Mans, and Sebring and PLM if they can afford it.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 12:07 (Ref:632880)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
My only fear is that prototypes aren't going to have many opportunities to race. Four LMT races, Le Mans, and Sebring and PLM if they can afford it.
Remember the 1000K races are 6 hours, add in 1000K PLM, 24 Hour LM and 12 Hour Sebring and thats a lot of race miles.

Many top teams at the moment only race at Sebring, LM and PLM. Add in some prestige Euro 1000K races and I'm sure many will also race there. The LMT has also been designed to allow FIA GT teams and ALMS teams to compete, alongside there regular programs. Anymore than 4 races would have been to many for teams who wanted to compete for the LMT Championship.

I'm certain teams want to compete in long prestige races, rather than competing in 8 or 9, 3 hour sprints with no promotion or sense of occation.

In Group C there were only around 8 - 10 races a year.

If Euro teams want to compete in more LMP races they can always go to the ALMS.

However few seem to want to or can afford it, especially if there are top LMP events in Europe.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 12:51 (Ref:632910)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
Nah, a Porsche 956 or even a 908 are much more dangerous than a Courage, Audi or Dome

If in the past it was done, so should it be done in the future
Someone here pointed out a while ago, that TV money funds a lot of these races and series (look how much goes into advertising on cars and sponsership deals, so company logos can be seen on TV), and the Nordshliefe is so ong, it would be impossible to have constant TV coverage from all around the circuit, it would just be a logistical impossibility.
Then the circuit would get extremely bad publicity should there be a big accident, for such a high profile event, that could well kill all racing on it forever. They really are pushing the boundaries a bit with DTM as it is.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:23 (Ref:633069)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Remember the 1000K races are 6 hours, add in 1000K PLM, 24 Hour LM and 12 Hour Sebring and thats a lot of race miles.
Just a quick correction - PLM is 1000 miles (1600 km).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Jun 2003, 15:59 (Ref:633107)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought PLM it was a 10 hour race...a timed event, not a distance-designated race....

Or am I just half brain-dead???

Please correct me if I'm wrong...it wouldn't be the first time...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Jun 2003, 16:05 (Ref:633120)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whichever comes first. 10 or 1000. Last year took 9 hours 27 minutes 39.594 seconds. (More or less )
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Jun 2003, 17:20 (Ref:633224)   #15
ViperACR
Rookie

ViperACR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that ALMS is considering also going to the 24 of Nurburgring and if the FIA GTin europe could come together in some sorts then it would make for some good races. If teams such as Chrysler with the Vipers come back along with maserati and others then it will get much better. The 24 hours of le mans yesterday proved that the big boys are right racing in ALMS
Old 16 Jun 2003, 17:56 (Ref:633244)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, Paul-Collins....Like I said, I guess I'm half Brain-Dead....

One Note:

Sebring and Petit will be cost-prohibitive for many European-based teams....Overseas travel with a full crew, cars, parts, transporters, etc., is not cheap, not to mention housing, food, etc. for the operation while you are there to set up and operate...

Fulvio raised this issue in previous threads when the whole LM Tourney concept was introduced...

Now a Question:

I thought that the FIA-SCC was going to run a schedule next year as well for the prototypes...on dates that did not conflict with Tourney dates??? That is why I thought that Mr. Ratel came on board with this...

Could someone please clarify that one for me???

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!