Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2017, 05:42 (Ref:3776526)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mexico Grand Prix

Old 26 Oct 2017, 08:51 (Ref:3776546)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BBC have an article on why Mercedes might struggle.

Will the title be clinched at Mexico? - Perhaps we will have to wait.
Will Hartley put in a good performance after last time's grid penalty?
How many drivers are still racing to retain their seats?
Old 26 Oct 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3776608)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
From the official F1 site:

Fri 27 Oct – Sun 29 Oct 2017
Practice 1 - Fri - 10:00 – 11:30 Practice 2 - Fri - 14:00 – 15:30 Practice 3 - Sat - 10:00 – 11:00 Qualifying - Sat - 13:00 – 14:00 Race - Sun - 13:00 – 15:00In 2016, Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen all topped the times in FP sessions, which indicates the potential for a mixed bag of results this weekend.
Qualifying saw Mercedes dominant, with RBR behind them in formation. The Ferraris were pipped by a Force India - something that looks unlikely this year and it is expected that Ferrari may have the outright pace this year and will be the team to beat. Some are predicting that Mercedes could struggle, and possibly find themselves behind Ferrari and RBR?

Aero has proven to be of utmost importance in previous events here, and with the tricky Stadium section, does this give the chance for McLaren to score good points. Or will one of the other midfield teams make a strong showing and get amongst the places Hamilton is looking for to clinch the title?

Extensive quotes can be found here. Highlights regarding the race prospects include:

Hartley - 'It's a tricky venue for the engineers, as the high altitude plays havoc on downforce and cooling, but from a driving point of view it's a great track and one I really enjoy'

Wolff - 'It will be important to be at the very top of our game if we want to get the job done.'

Grosjean - 'Brake cooling is an issue because of the air density. From there, we also have very little downforce because we’re at altitude. I guess the biggest thing for us to feel is the downforce loss. The biggest challenge for the car is the cooling.'

Hulkenberg - 'It has a lot of tricky corner combinations which look simple but are extremely technical. It’s certainly not an easy lap.'

Taffin [Renault] - 'The thinner air means the turbo has to spin at a higher rate to input enough oxygen into the ICE, it actually spins around 8 percent more in Mexico than in Abu Dhabi. Equally, fuel consumption over one lap is quite low so energy recovery is less critical in Mexico than at other circuits.'

Vijay Mallya - 'We have more updates coming for the VJM10 as we continue to push hard with development late into the season, which should give us an extra performance step this weekend.'

Alonso - 'It will surely be a challenging weekend for us as I’m expecting to start from the back of the grid due to the engine issue we had in Austin. It’s also a track where we often struggle with traffic, which makes overtaking difficult.'
Old 26 Oct 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3776655)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FIA are tightening up the drivers going outside the white lines rule for Mexico making the drivers pass certain points outside the circuit if they go off track at a number of corners including the first one.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/132648
Old 26 Oct 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3776661)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'll have another look, but that strikes me as a bit odd. That is, Turns 8 and 11 seem less likely places for guys to go off than Turns 7, 9, and 10. And cutting Turn 9 would seem like the most obvious possible egregious offense.

At least it's something; we'll see how it goes.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3776663)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
was this done as the result of off track excursions last year or as the result of last weekend's shenanigans?

either way, credit to the Mexican GP organizers for reacting and with a solution (i think?) no one suggested in the USGP thread.

seems like a relatively simple and benign solution...if it works that is.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3776665)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Remember, this race will be boring. The track is a pale imitation of what it once was. And considering the track there is potential for penalties, or not.

So, I suggest, you don't watch it. If you do then you'll only have yourself to blame. Also how will the FIA wake up and make changes to improve the sport if you just watch anyway? It will continue to go to rubbish tracks, have competition that isn't close enough and a complete lack of innovation.

Save yourself the trouble, do something less boring instead, and just come here after, perhaps when bored at work, and rate the race as a 3, Verstappen as driver of the race and Force India as the team of the race. Know one will know.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 20:38 (Ref:3776676)   #8
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish they would shorten the DRS zone on the main straight. Make fights more of a braking duel instead of sitting duck style.
Old 26 Oct 2017, 21:52 (Ref:3776684)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately, with how they redid Turn 1, the move just about needs to be clearly made before you're into the corner. After the initial start, and guys are up to speed, trying to go two-wide around that apex is fairly likely to end in either a collision or a track limits infraction.

It also means, that's a poor corner design, especially for a turn that's supposed to be a major overtaking zone.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3776735)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Now for the fun part of the weekend. The grid penalties.

So far we have:

Alonso = 20 places
Vandoorne = 35 places
Old 27 Oct 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3776739)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Unfortunately, with how they redid Turn 1, the move just about needs to be clearly made before you're into the corner. After the initial start, and guys are up to speed, trying to go two-wide around that apex is fairly likely to end in either a collision or a track limits infraction.

It also means, that's a poor corner design, especially for a turn that's supposed to be a major overtaking zone.
Exactly. It really should be more of an open / vague apex to give drivers a chance of jostling mid corner. However with these corners / chicanes with acute apexes there is really just one line through the corner.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3776759)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good to see they are forcing drivers to use the slip road to get back on track if they cut a corner, it's a start if they want to take track limits seriously

And McLaren, more engine penalties. Groan
Old 27 Oct 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3776775)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good to see they are forcing drivers to use the slip road to get back on track if they cut a corner, it's a start if they want to take track limits seriously

And McLaren, more engine penalties. Groan
Not if Ocon has anything to do with it. He has "slammed" the kerbs as being dangerous.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ia-speed-bumps

Ive lost count of the number of times that this has happened. FIA installs kerbing to stop cutting corners > drivers moan about kerbs > kerbs get removed after FP1.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3776783)   #14
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Monza second chicane includes an escape road, and even sometimes has a floppy plastic bollard on the apex of it. Why can't that be used?

Old 27 Oct 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3776796)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think that's principally an option only if it's a straighter approach into the corner, like the Monza chicane or the chicane at the end of the lap at Montreal. Even then, we've seen the sausages launch cars at Les Combes at Spa, and elsewhere. They use those orange curbs to try to physically enforce the "escape road".
Old 27 Oct 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3776809)   #16
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Remember, this race will be boring. The track is a pale imitation of what it once was. And considering the track there is potential for penalties, or not.

So, I suggest, you don't watch it. If you do then you'll only have yourself to blame. Also how will the FIA wake up and make changes to improve the sport if you just watch anyway? It will continue to go to rubbish tracks, have competition that isn't close enough and a complete lack of innovation.

Save yourself the trouble, do something less boring instead, and just come here after, perhaps when bored at work, and rate the race as a 3, Verstappen as driver of the race and Force India as the team of the race. Know one will know.
I will indeed do all of the above as you suggest but just can't quite bring myself to vote for Verstappen, just something about his lips leaves me with the shudders so as usual I will vote for Ericsson, he always manages to bring a little something to the party
Old 27 Oct 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3776826)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I believe that turn 1 is in a slightly different place, but pretty much like it was back when the world was largely care free and men were real men...

The two wide round corners thing is rare. Overtaking is mainly under braking, probably finishing a move that actually started with a better exit from the previous. Always has been.

I actually think some of these crap modern tracks have provided more two wide through a sequence of corners than we've seen before. And I'm thinking Bahrain and others! Including COTA where that was helped by a pragmatic and not strict approach to track limits.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3776842)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Adam you get better and better 😂😂😂
Old 27 Oct 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3776848)   #19
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Max made that pass work BECAUSE he smoothed out the worst of the angularitites at Turn 17/18 or 16-17/18 (sources can't agree on how that turn is even numbered). So, Adam, thank you for proving my point about the corner shape.

So no, EVERY turn at Mexico City has been re-profiled, down to that relatively mild adjustment to the exit of Peraltada, due to the realignment of the entire first half of the front straight.

Lewis Hamilton F1 Pole Lap 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TMH-r9dxY

Justin Wilson ChampCar Pole Lap 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty51w6ULG1c

The difference is pretty clear, right?

In addition to changing the corner shapes, when it was redone for F1, the track was actually made narrower than it was for CART/CCWS. Strange, that one.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3776851)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Max made that pass work BECAUSE he smoothed out the worst of the angularitites at Turn 17/18 or 16-17/18 (sources can't agree on how that turn is even numbered). So, Adam, thank you for proving my point about the corner shape.
No problem, happy to help. I think. I'm a bit lost with the Verstappen thing. That pass wasn't many corners side by side it was simply cutting a corner. I was thinking more turn 1 and then side by side all he way to the fast complex at turn 4 (or similar number - I can't be bothered to look up the COTA corner numbers).

Quote:
So no, EVERY turn at Mexico City has been re-profiled, down to that relatively mild adjustment to the exit of Peraltada, due to the realignment of the entire first half of the front straight.

Lewis Hamilton F1 Pole Lap 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TMH-r9dxY

Justin Wilson ChampCar Pole Lap 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty51w6ULG1c

The difference is pretty clear, right?
Right! Woo!

Er, yes, all changed. The style of the corner is still the same was what I meant. Although that was lost in being wrong, sorry.

I've attached a comparison of old and new. In a different place, but right left right.
Quote:
In addition to changing the corner shapes, when it was redone for F1, the track was actually made narrower than it was for CART/CCWS. Strange, that one.
It is narrower, which is a shame. However slightly tighter corner is probably a little better for overtaking as most overtaking mainly done underbraking...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0341.JPG  
Old 27 Oct 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3776855)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Now here is cool side by side into that corner back when real men were real men.
https://youtu.be/FXz3FVm0Ans

Not the most famous move at Mexico (that is Nige at the corner before), but a good one into that corner.

Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:42 (Ref:3776871)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The issue is that the sharper apex puts a point of curb protruding into where that inside car needs to go to make that two-wide situation possible. If he isn't cutting the track, then the guy on the outside doesn't have a viable line through; he either has to run too tight a line to work, or gets run off the outside of the track by the guy on the inside. The three main, theoretical, passing places at the Indy road course have the same problem. Like I said, corner shape matters. Yeah, it's still a right/left/right, but the turns are so angular now that there aren't two viable lines through it.

Hell, Vettel and Ricciardo couldn't make two-wide through the T1-3 complex work, even on the opening lap, in 2015. And going wider than Vettel did on the exit of Turn 1 just makes your line untenable for making Turns 2 and 3. It just doesn't physically work. Two guys fighting hard also doesn't work into Turns 4 and 5 with the changes they made, as we saw with Raikkonen and Bottas; it's another one-line complex.

Also, given the speeds they reach on that front straight, a 90-100-mph corner would provide sufficient energy reduction through braking to promote significant overtaking. If that weren't the case, Les Combes at Spa wouldn't work as an overtaking zone.

Furthermore, that slower Turn 3 hurts overtaking into Turn 4, because you get a larger spread in the physical gap between cars because of that slower entry onto the straight. You have the same thing, to a lesser extent, going into the turn entering the Foro Sol (Stadium), because of the alterations they made to "the Esses".
Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3776873)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Now for the fun part of the weekend. The grid penalties.

So far we have:

Alonso = 20 places
Vandoorne = 35 places
Do you think McLaren have found a new use for velcro? They change engines so often it doesn’t make sense to bother tightening a whole lot of nuts & bolts... just RIP the velcro, and out comes the broken one, in goes the soon-to-be-broken one...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3776874)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
The issue is that the sharper apex puts a point of curb protruding into where that inside car needs to go to make that two-wide situation possible. If he isn't cutting the track, then the guy on the outside doesn't have a viable line through; he either has to run too tight a line to work, or gets run off the outside of the track by the guy on the inside. The three main, theoretical, passing places at the Indy road course have the same problem. Like I said, corner shape matters. Yeah, it's still a right/left/right, but the turns are so angular now that there aren't two viable lines through it.

Hell, Vettel and Ricciardo couldn't make two-wide through the T1-3 complex work, even on the opening lap, in 2015. And going wider than Vettel did on the exit of Turn 1 just makes your line untenable for making Turns 2 and 3. It just doesn't physically work. Two guys fighting hard also doesn't work into Turns 4 and 5 with the changes they made, as we saw with Raikkonen and Bottas; it's another one-line complex.

Also, given the speeds they reach on that front straight, a 90-100-mph corner would provide sufficient energy reduction through braking to promote significant overtaking. If that weren't the case, Les Combes at Spa wouldn't work as an overtaking zone.

Furthermore, that slower Turn 3 hurts overtaking into Turn 4, because you get a larger spread in the physical gap between cars because of that slower entry onto the straight. You have the same thing, to a lesser extent, going into the turn entering the Foro Sol (Stadium), because of the alterations they made to "the Esses".
None of that really makes a difference. Especially as, unless you have a modern circuit, side by side for several corners is borderline myth. You'll like my YouTube link as it contradicts this. As more overtaking is completed under braking and the single apex single line helps this.

The travesty, if we're looking for one, is the corner that has been completely destroyed. The one that Nige had that famous overtake on. However the travesty isn't really to do with it being a great overtaking place, it's to do with it just being fast and impressive.

Was that really the only place in Mexico to build a baseball stadium?
Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3776875)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do you think McLaren have found a new use for velcro? They change engines so often it doesn’t make sense to bother tightening a whole lot of nuts & bolts... just RIP the velcro, and out comes the broken one, in goes the soon-to-be-broken one...

I think the problem is Honda have generally been using velcro to build the engines.