Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Oct 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3469947)   #1
stallard
Rookie

stallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Marshaling

Good afternoon,

I have been a circuit marshal for 4 years, and in a few weeks will be attending my first rally event as a marshal.

I was hoping I could get some advice on what to expect, what essentials to bring with me and how to suitably attire myself.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3469955)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good place to start is have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M8I5XAwYuA
Old 31 Oct 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3470194)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just the obvious really. Good warm, rain proof clothing and comfortable water proof boots. Drink, food and more than one pair of gloves. Map, biro (preferably one which write in the rain - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Space.../dp/B00006I5RH) whistle (not always used but be prepared) warm head cover.

Make sure you know whether you are prepared to take your car into stage or not.

Get hold of the Stage Commander's contact details and ask.

Check that you know how to get to the stage start - not always obvious.

Go with someone who has been before - again ask Satge Commander for contacts.

It's a great part of our sport - enjoy.

Jim
Old 31 Oct 2014, 12:24 (Ref:3470224)   #4
stallard
Rookie

stallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you very much! Very helpful
Old 31 Oct 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3470234)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
One thing worth mentioning about taking your own car into a stage - the stage can look very different after the rally cars have been through! What was a nice smooth gravel track when you drove in can be a muddy rutted mess by the time you need to get out - worth bearing in mind (especially if the weather is bad). Also make sure you park your car well back from the stage - stones can fly a long way.

There can be a lot of down time - often a rally will use the same stage twice so after the first run there can be a big gap before the cars return for the second running. This is a good chance for a sit down (bring a chair if you're not taking your car in), gas stoves are handy for tea and bacon.

Out of interest which rally are you doing?
Old 2 Nov 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3470891)   #6
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to let you know not many of the rally marshals who are also race marshals wear their probans on the event, most of us wear work wear / hiking trousers and then the high vis waterproofs over them if needed

Agree with the advice regarding cars in stage as well, I have damaged a car coming out after the event and know of others who have hoed sumps

Which event are you doing?
Old 2 Nov 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3470977)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Make up your own mind about wearing orange overalls but I have had difficulties at an incident in distinguishing marshals from spectators. Still she seemed content to hold the drip for me!

Jim
Old 3 Nov 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3471139)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=BertMk2;3470234]One thing worth mentioning about taking your own car into a stage - the stage can look very different after the rally cars have been through! What was a nice smooth gravel track when you drove in can be a muddy rutted mess by the time you need to get out - worth bearing in mind (especially if the weather is bad). Also make sure you park your car well back from the stage - stones can fly a long way.

My Volvo V70 discovered the above on the Malcolm Wilson a couple of years ago, leaving Post at the end of the day, large bang and my exhaust in the middle of the track. Hence we now own a 4 X 4.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3471280)   #9
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=The Fat Clerk;3471139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
One thing worth mentioning about taking your own car into a stage - the stage can look very different after the rally cars have been through! What was a nice smooth gravel track when you drove in can be a muddy rutted mess by the time you need to get out - worth bearing in mind (especially if the weather is bad). Also make sure you park your car well back from the stage - stones can fly a long way.

My Volvo V70 discovered the above on the Malcolm Wilson a couple of years ago, leaving Post at the end of the day, large bang and my exhaust in the middle of the track. Hence we now own a 4 X 4.
Must be something with the Lake District Stages as my damage was also on Malcolm Wilson, and was a damaged undertray and a weeping sump core plug, And again now have a 4x4 albeit a Kia but very capable in the woods
Old 3 Nov 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3471285)   #10
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poultry

Also be careful when parking up in the Forest overnight.............it was dark and foggy when my R.S. 2000 got wedged on a tree stump!!

This year its a 14 mile drive into the stage at Sweet Lamb.....then off to Dyfnant with a 10 mile drive into that stage.

Enjoy.