Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:986244)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Head. The end of an Era

Does anyone else think that with Patrick head taking a more Business related approach than hands on it will be the end of an Era at williams.

The site of Head in the pit lane, making his presnce known and doing some good interviews must surly be behind us.

Is it the start of the last great indy team getting a kick from a manufacturer.

Did Head move before he was kicked, is he happy with the new role.

I'm not sure of any of the above, but I think its a sad move and probably the phasing out of an F1 great.
Old 28 May 2004, 13:36 (Ref:986248)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If memory doesn't deceive me it's not the first time he takes on another role in the squad; maybe this absence will be just temporary.
However it must be said that he wasn't able to manage the current difficulties, particularly those concerning Ralf.
In some occasions he didn't behave as a godd team boss, speaking wityh the press instead of solving problems indoor.
A good time out of the spotlight will help IMO.
Old 28 May 2004, 13:41 (Ref:986255)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In teh early days of Williams, Head's role was predominantly in designing the cars - once Adrian Newey joiend this was adjusted to give him over overall control, adn now Sam Michael's presence coupled with the increasing demands of deisgn have seen his role change again. It's a natural evolution really, but I guess it is the end of an era, especially as Williams are having such an uninspiring season.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:05 (Ref:986298)   #4
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I, for one, do not think its an end to an era...

Patrick Head is still at the helms of affairs at the factory. He's realized that its been some time when he obtained his mechanical engineering degree and that Williams needs a young technical guru to keep up with the likes of Brawn, Newey, et al. I think it is an extremely good move by Head. Dont forget that Head has 20-30% stake in williams and he is one of the co-founders. He will be there.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:25 (Ref:986325)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is exactly the question ("is it the end of an era") that Autosport asked PH this week. He said he is still involved, but it is a big change.

Sam also said that PH will still be heavily involved.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:37 (Ref:986335)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 teams are very well structured and the foundations of top teams are strong. There is simply no way the company would willingly allow a top guy for the team just throw in the towel and a new guy takes over and continue what he did.

It's the same thing everywhere. Ferrari is also grooming replacements for Ferrari's future top chaps...Brawn Bryne MS are all going to stop one day, and Ferrari isn't going to let the whole team just collapse and start afresh with new guys.

Williams too. While on the business side it's easier to hand-over to a new management, the technical side is more complex. It is important that Head allows the day-to-day running on the track be gradually handed over to a person of their choice, and that Head don't disappear immediately, but rather, take on a more senior consulting role to aid the replacement to blend in better to the role. And such a transition would mean that disturbance to the operation of the team is minimised.

And i think whichever Head's role is, it would be mightily important. Head's a great technical guy and that Frank would squeeze every drop of good stuff from his great partner.

And i personally think that this is the right time to make such a move. Head could see that this year, the fight for the WDC/WCC is getting more difficult with every race. Sam is getting more and more experienced with Williams, and that with Williams not hot in the fight for the championship and what better time than now? At least it gives Sam half a season to get his seat warm...and ready for next year. Williams won't want to risk next season if they are good, only to spoil it with a big structural change.
Old 28 May 2004, 15:13 (Ref:986386)   #7
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gonna be interesting to see how visual head is around and how visual his involvment is
Old 28 May 2004, 16:57 (Ref:986481)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

And i think whichever Head's role is, it would be mightily important. Head's a great technical guy and that Frank would squeeze every drop of good stuff from his great partner.
Cant you still get it? Its 'his' team! FW doesnt need to squeeze every drop of 'good stuff' from his 'technical guy'.. huh.
Old 28 May 2004, 17:15 (Ref:986500)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt it's the end of an era....but I think it's a step towards the end of it....
Old 28 May 2004, 17:20 (Ref:986507)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In my younger days I once proclaimed "Patrick Head knows nothing about F1". I was immediately corrected by all present with good reason. It is the simply the most wrong thing I have ever said.
Old 28 May 2004, 17:26 (Ref:986515)   #11
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a vaguely related topic:

If only H2F could have joined Williams now. He and Sam worked so well together at Jordan.
Old 28 May 2004, 17:35 (Ref:986527)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What made you say that Adam?

Out of character!
Old 28 May 2004, 19:18 (Ref:986605)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think its the end of an "era". More a change of direction. Patrick designed the FW06. He did it on a limited budget knowing that the rest of the grid had moved towards ground effect. And yet Alan Jones made that car look good. So much so that Team Willy got even more sponsorship and moved up the grid.

Things change. Attitudes change. But great men are still great men. Patrick sits up there with the greats.

Adrain Newey learned his craft from Patrick. As did Frank Dernie. Both great designers in their own right.

Sir Frank knows that his business accumen tied in with Patrick's "savvy" made the team what it is.

I say, take the break Patrick. Take a bit of a rest from the front line, then come back fighting.
Old 28 May 2004, 20:01 (Ref:986650)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets not forget this was Patrick's idea.

He has young children, too, so he wants to be home-based a bit more.
Old 28 May 2004, 20:39 (Ref:986676)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish him all the best and all credit for making the adjustment which I guess is thought will benefit the team. No-one one person can or should rule the roost.

Maybe Ron Dennis should take a good look in the mirror.

Not many businesses where things can go so 'belly up' as has been the case with McLaren over the past 18 months, without the senior guy taking some responsibility, publically.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:13 (Ref:986696)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's the end on era, but being a Williams fan, I can't help having a tinge of sadness (I don't really know why, nostalgia (sp?) I guess) that the old 'battleaxe' is winding it down a little.

However, I have much respect for Sam Michael and I'm sure he will do well. He has my full support.
Old 28 May 2004, 21:34 (Ref:986709)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Maybe Ron Dennis should take a good look in the mirror.

Not many businesses where things can go so 'belly up' as has been the case with McLaren over the past 18 months, without the senior guy taking some responsibility, publically.
It's Ron's team - he's not going to sack himself.

There has been a technical reshuffle - and McLaren always bounce back.
Old 28 May 2004, 22:46 (Ref:986759)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He talked years ago about changing his role in the team about this time, so no surprise here.
Old 29 May 2004, 06:24 (Ref:986917)   #19
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
It's Ron's team - he's not going to sack himself.
If things do not improve - and let's remind ourselves they haven't got a reliable developed car out for more than a season - sponsors will have a say - and as F1 is all about dosh - that will be a major factor.

Back to thread - I admire people like Head who are willing to adapt and change. No-one can or should reamain in a role for life - the big question is always when to move and allow others to develop too.

Good, strong leadership always seeks to make itself 'redundant' and promote others. We all need a fresh challenge! Its managers that settle for the status quo.

I trust Williams will get new momentum from the adjustments.

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 29 May 2004 at 06:26.