Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 11 Dec 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1788017)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRM P351

Hi all,

Was just wondering what happened to the BRM P351 after it's renaissance in the SWC of the late 90's.

Does anybody know of it's whereabouts or if it's seen any track time in the last 5-6 years, and what state it's in?

Regards,

Alex

Last edited by John Turner; 3 Feb 2008 at 09:27.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1788070)   #2
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard from somwhere that it got crushed. I hope it didn't because it was a nice looking car. In its later years it had a V6 turbo Nissan motor too which has to be a good thing.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1793357)   #3
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen it within the last week, without engine and gearbox, and looking a bit sad, but it still exists.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:29 (Ref:1806721)   #4
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Hello Jeremy, thankyou for your response. I'm interested.. where is it exactly, who owns it, etc?

Regards,

Alex
Old 1 Feb 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1831182)   #5
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex drop me a pm, it now has a transmission and might be available.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1831235)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the car that John Mangoletsi was involved in. If I remember rightly it was quite a nice looking machine but suffered with engine problems.

Later run by Pacific minus it's roof and fitted with a Nissan engine but only raced occasionally.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1831284)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pic: 1998 http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-07-19-014.jpg

We saw it race at Le Mans in 92, well circulate around the circuit.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1831362)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone like to put together a brief history of it and I'll then put it into our chassis archive?
Old 2 Feb 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1831779)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I took these at Silverstone in April '92:

Old 2 Feb 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1831839)   #10
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Very nice pictures Andrew. If you look at the top one you can see a scale model of the road car BRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Anyone like to put together a brief history of it and I'll then put it into our chassis archive?
This is what I know about it:

In it's first incarnation it was known as the BRM P351. It was intended to race in the Sportscar World Championship of 1992, but only entered three races.

It used a Weslake-derived "BRM" V12 which was rated at 630BHP, and had a carbon fibre monocoque tub.

It entered three races in 1992: Silverstone, Le Mans and IMSA Watkins Glen. At Silverstone it qualified last due to engine problems, and broke down on the warmup lap. At Le Mans it qualified poorly and retired due to engine failure. At Watkins Glen it had to be "hot wired" in order to get it to the grid. It then did one lap, overheated, and retired.

Second time around it was bought by the Pacific racing group in 1997. Now known as the P301, it was fitted with a turbocharged Nissan V6, the type used in IMSA GTP racing by the NPT-90/91 cars. It also had it's roof chopped off, and was entered into Le Mans 1997. The car qualified poorly, then completed 6 laps before it's engine let go.
It was entered into the International Sports Racing Series race at Donington Park that same year, where it qualified poorly, and failed to make it to the grid due to electical problems.

In 1998 it was entered into a race at Misano, for which it qualified on the third row, but failed to make the start. The car made it's bow at Donington Park in 1998 where it qualified poorly, then had an accident in practise which ended the car's career..
Old 4 Feb 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1833135)   #11
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
I took these at Silverstone in April '92:

Pity it got hacked about in its original form here it was a good looking car and gave some hope of the marque being re-established...........they even showed a model of a great looking road going sportscar to be sold as a BRM.......great shame it all fizzled out.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2843640)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I mentioned it some months back in the Sportscar and GT section, but one of the major principals for this project was Ian Dawson. There should be a few video clips relating to this car up on YouTube.