Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 6 Oct 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2554893)   #176
rorym
Rookie

Australia
Maryborough Qld
rorym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be keen to hear of any Cheetahs for sale...missed all the others..
R
Old 1 Jan 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2607029)   #177
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has not ome of these been recently rebuilt by Vin Malkie?
Old 11 Oct 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2773087)   #178
Robby9
Rookie

Robby9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheetah Mk4e

G'day all just found this site, all good info which helped me a lot. I have a Cheetah Mk4e rolling chassis, see photo [if I can post it] & am seeking any info on it's early history circa 1973/74, ie photos, entry details, etc. Anecdotally it's said to have been built for the Crawford Bros to run ANF2 and been relieved of it's engine & gearbox for Graeme Crarford's ANF2 Birrana which appeared [so far as I can find] circa mid 1974. The current photo is rear wing-less, and the front chin spoiler is missing, and the engine cover is raised at the back end. It is currently black, but had stripes [now removed], and may have been orange at some time.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04979.JPG  
Old 22 Oct 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2778423)   #179
Robby9
Rookie

Robby9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheetah Mk4E

This vehicle has now moved on to a new keeper. However if anyone has any information related to this vehicle please make contact....
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2928174)   #180
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies for the lack of updates recently. It is on my to-do list...
Old 5 Feb 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3021771)   #181
Crabby
Rookie

Crabby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheetah History

Hi guys, just thought I would enlighten those cheetah lovers with my history of the Marque.
I am currently restoring my Mk 4 Cheetah, the first one I owned, as I had a Mk 6 also.
I raced it in Victoria, as the log book shows from 18-7-76 to the 24-11-79 in Australian ANF3 and ANF2.
It went through a series of updates from it original configuation to big winged ANF2 specs.
I ran Ford crossflow engines.
My Mk 6 had 1600 BMW engines and sometimes ran a two liter engine in the formula libra races against sports cars and F5000,s
The only car I sold and I cant remember who it went to.
As a kid I went to Brian Sheads place with Peter Macrow to get in the way when they were working on the cheetah that Peter bought from Brian before Brian made the first batch of three cars.
Memories come back of being in the back of the International panel van type vehicle with seats in the back for the "crew". Must had been the first people mover.
My road car at 18 was an A30 with the thomas cam and twin Amals from Brians Formula Junior cheetah. Those things left under the bench.
My memory is stirring and I think Brian designed a sports car that did not get built, but had a number designated to it as a MK 2, as in that simple time of life, I am sure Peter Macrows ANF2 car was called a Mk 3 which evovled from the FJ, from the BMC engine to a ford and then a 1500 pushrod to a twin cam.
There was always excitment being felt when the first three cars were laid down, Known as the round tube cars, the F3 for Brian, the F3 for Peter and the V8 hill climb car for, being brave here, Don Biggar?
Not being endowed with money my Cheetahs were always special in the way Brian made the chassis,s and I would do my own suspension. Sometimes the factory Cheetah scrap bin would get raided for bits.
However the Cheetah Marks were a milestone in Australian racing and allowed a great many to enjoy open wheeler racing, without them many would have missed out.
Hope to post some pictures later.
Regards David
Old 22 Jun 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3096623)   #182
CRD
Rookie

Australia
CRD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351 View Post
Does anybody have any photos of the mk9 Formula Holden?
The Cheetah Mk 9 Formula Holden has re-emerged, Luke Doidge now owns the car and it was recently given it's first outing as an historic car at Historic Winton 26-27 May 2012.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3253989)   #183
smilenwave
Rookie

smilenwave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gday guys did anyone have info or pic on the MK2 I have been trying to identify a chassis in a friends shed its been there for about 30 years round tube chassis wheel base little larger than an FJ but looks similar. I dont think this a cheetah but would be good to cross it off the list. There does not seem to be any chassis number on it any where but the chassis seems to be well constructed for that era. It has been modified a bit over the years by the look.

Regards
Denis
Old 28 May 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3254414)   #184
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only person who could help you is Brian Shead himself. Only he would know how to identify the chassis as a Cheetah.

You could try posting a photo of the chassis on this forum - someone may see it who can help.

I know where I found the "chassis number" on my Mk7, but the location changed from car to car/model. Brian was a one man factory - there were no employees who could help.

Good Luck
Old 3 Jul 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3273223)   #185
smilenwave
Rookie

smilenwave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gday guys
Not sure if the attachment is going to work this is a pic of the car, like I said don't think its the MK2 more like a modified early vee or something. Was last raced in Sydney around 1976 driver Ed Crane with a BMC engine. It was found under a tree on a farm and was put in the shed for close to 30 years now.

Cheers
Denis
Attached Thumbnails
Mvc-002f.jpg  
Old 25 Sep 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3309333)   #186
spook
Veteran

Cheetah Celebration - Sandown 2013

12th September 2013

To all Cheetah owners, past drivers and enthusiasts,

The VHRR is celebrating the Cheetah racing car marque at the Sandown historic meeting November 8, 9 &10.

A static display of the cars plus demonstration laps at lunchtime both days before a barbeque and presentation to Brian Shead on the Sunday has been arranged. The VHRR have kindly arranged 10 marquee places for cars on display only at the meeting.

We would like to have as many cars as possible be involved whether you are intending to race at the meeting or not so can you please reply to myself of your intentions.

I have attached a known list of Cheetah owners, if you can add to that for us it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Michael Borland
(Brian’s nephew)

Tel 03 9580 5236 BH
Email mike@borlandracing.com
Old 29 Sep 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3310659)   #187
Crabby
Rookie

Crabby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheetahs

My Mk4 turned a wheel at Winton Festival of Speed in August, And I hope I have a place with the other Cheetahs at Sandown
Old 31 Jan 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3362335)   #188
PeterJ.
Rookie

Australia
Sunshine Coast
PeterJ. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed that Cheetah Racing Cars were featured in the Nov'13 Sandown meeting. If of interest to the current owner, I purchased my Mk8 from Tom Crozier in December 1987 and thought I may be able to add some details to this cars history.

Chassis number was 804 and Log Book was N5131.
Built in 1984 for Keith McClelland and came second in ANF2 Championship by 1 point. (painted white). Then raced by Arthur Abrahams (painted in Ignis Fridges livery). Not sure if Arthur owned or leased this car. Leased by Mike Hall for 3 races. Purchased by Tom Crozier (date?) for conversion to Formula Holden but not progressed with. Purchased by myself (Dec’87) and raced ANF2 at Mallala, Winton and Lakeside in 1988. Sold to Arnold? And Lindy Rigby of Wamboin NSW 1989. No known history since this time.

Please feel free to message me for some photos etc. if interested.

Regards, Peter
Old 31 Jan 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3362540)   #189
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ. View Post
Please feel free to message me for some photos etc. if interested.

Regards, Peter
Peter

Many thanks for that. I'd be very interested in pictures. You can reach me by email at allen@oldracingcars.com.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 04:41 (Ref:3817826)   #190
spook
Veteran

There is now a Facebook page for Australian Historic Formula 2 cars and enthusiasts. There are some fantastic photos being posted there if anyone is interested - search for "Australian Formula Two".
Old 29 Oct 2019, 05:22 (Ref:3937427)   #191
Dalai
Rookie

Dalai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First post introduction. I have just purchased Chris Hocking - Eric Mills MK6 62-13 with the intention of racing historics and hill climbs.

First step is to apply for the Certificate of Description as it hasn't raced since the Australian Grand Prix Support race in 1987 where Chris came 6th. The chassis was actually restored by Brian Sheads back in the 90's but has sat since, therefore will need a full going over but overall it is in pristine condition.

Any leads for documentation and photos of the car from its racing days would be much appreciated!