Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Jan 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3608269)   #51
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that the person went for his camera which Latvala was headed towards and got hit because of it. Its clear because he reached for something before the car and also no one else was near being hit. Fortunate for both Latvala and the man Latvala did not go fast enough to seriously hurt him. I wonder though if Latvala knew or didn't knew that he hit him, it was not that hard of a hit so if he knew maybe he thought he could keep on driving ...

An accident can happen in any way, therefore I believe it is hard to be completely safe. They can always move the crowd back but don't know what else they can do really to prevent spectators from being hit.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3608270)   #52
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
It can't be that much fun for Ogier. Its like one would play a racing game and set the difficulty at the easiest level, winning all the time.
To be honest I can't really feel all that sorry for him given the money he is on! It is a great problem to have. (From someone doing double shifts at work just to afford our next clubman entry...)

But I suspect Kris will put Seb under more pressure this year. If Seb isn't totally on it, Kris won't be far away. Much depends on whether Kris can be consistent enough to get inside Seb's head.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3608286)   #53
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
To be honest I can't really feel all that sorry for him given the money he is on! It is a great problem to have. (From someone doing double shifts at work just to afford our next clubman entry...)

But I suspect Kris will put Seb under more pressure this year. If Seb isn't totally on it, Kris won't be far away. Much depends on whether Kris can be consistent enough to get inside Seb's head.
I am aware of that VW puts in more money than any other in WRC, Ogier has an advantage for sure. But even if Latvala and Mikkelsen are very fast too they are not as dominant as Ogier. If Meeke is consistent like you say he will probably be in the top 3 and challenge the VWs, especially Ogier for the win.

A driver always wants to be the best but even for Ogier I think it cannot be fun to be so far ahead all the time, dosen't matter how much money he makes (he kinda earns it though since he is so good) because he still is a rally driver that aims to be the best and unfortunately he is not being challenged for it.

Last edited by crossfades; 26 Jan 2016 at 21:57.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 09:28 (Ref:3608370)   #54
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Any thoughts on the Latvala incident?
Quote:
I read that the person went for his camera which Latvala was headed towards and got hit because of it.
If you watch the clip the man definitely reaches for something - he's busy trying to protect his possessions rather than himself - everyone else manages to get out of the way fine. Having said that - it was a dodgy place to be standing anyway. Should Latvala have stopped? Probably. I would assume he'd be aware he'd hit someone - but he would also have known the speed that he hit them at and that it was unlikely they were injured. With the adrenalin pumping he was probably just focused on getting back onto the stage and carrying on.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3608385)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was clearly aware he had hit something or someone as his wheels lock up momentarily.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3608462)   #56
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It doesn't matter if the pedestrian was stupid. If a drivers hits someone, the driver must stop and make sure that the person is fine.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3608510)   #57
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do find it odd that there is in-car from every other car at any other time, and at that exact moment there is no in-car from Latvala. Just after, showing steam and debris being cleaned off the windscreen, but not at the moment of impact.

While there is a huge assumed risk by any spectator at a motorsport event and you have to take responsibilities for your own actions (such as going back for camera lenses which directly results in being hit by a car), anyone being struck by a car or debris for any reason is a big deal at the end of the day. Transparency and honesty will always be best.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3608674)   #58
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be that if there is a possibility of a police investigation then the police will have asked for the footage not to be released as it constitutes potential evidence that may or may not be incriminating. I also suspect that the WRC do not want in-car images of cars hitting pedestrians being sent around the world.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3610677)   #59
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
...Transparency and honesty will always be best.
I couldn't agree more. I find it a little deceitful actually if that's not an overreaction. It has happened a few times in the last couple of years. Was it Argentina or Mexico last year where there were some serious injuries glossed over?

leonidas, I take your point that it may be subject to investigation but they don't have to show any macabre footage; just acknowledge it and make the point that spectator safety is important and spectators have to be mindful of the dangers too.

Last edited by cg7aa; 1 Feb 2016 at 19:54.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3610680)   #60
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

I watched the Channel 5 program last night. Very similar in format to the ITV4 show which is fine by me...
I just watched it online as I had missed the posts about the move from ITV4 to C5; some very nice footage and overall well presented. The sport can be made to look good. I do like the look of the new Hyundai. I wonder if they have a version in the showroom? They never seem to do these days.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3610682)   #61
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Looked like a nicely placed rock for Meeke...right in the middle of the road
Wasn't it just? You have to wonder about the thought process which makes some people think it's alright to do that and why others just stand by and tolerate it.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:41 (Ref:3610692)   #62
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Wasn't it just? You have to wonder about the thought process which makes some people think it's alright to do that and why others just stand by and tolerate it.
I thought that the first time I saw it (and given the history of that sort of thing happening on the Monte). Having seen it again though I'm not so sure - it looks like that rock is buried pretty deep so it may be that it was there all the time but was covered with loose gravel or maybe the surrounding soil/gravel was taken out by previous cars. Given that the rock didn't move and tore the sump guard clean off it was in there pretty well.
Old 1 Feb 2016, 20:41 (Ref:3610693)   #63
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I just watched it online as I had missed the posts about the move from ITV4 to C5; some very nice footage and overall well presented. The sport can be made to look good.
Agreed! I have to say I'm quite optimistic for the 2016 WRC season after Monte Carlo. The fact I had low expectations to start with is probably a factor, but fingers crossed this year won't be the low prior to the new regulations that we were expecting.

Quote:
I do like the look of the new Hyundai. I wonder if they have a version in the showroom? They never seem to do these days.
Do any of the manufacturers? The day that Ford produce a Fiesta RS I'll be down the showroom in a flash!
Old 2 Feb 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3610938)   #64
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as RS is supposed to, or used to stand for Rallye Sport, then the current RS Focus should have been a Fiesta RS. The Focus hasn't been used in the WRC since 2010. I think there may have been some confusion from the top men at Ford. I always understood the RS to be the road version of the Rally car; same engine, transmission, etc This current RS has nothing really in common with the old Focus RS WRCar, well apart from 4WD.
Old 2 Feb 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3611013)   #65
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I thought that the first time I saw it (and given the history of that sort of thing happening on the Monte). Having seen it again though I'm not so sure - it looks like that rock is buried pretty deep so it may be that it was there all the time but was covered with loose gravel or maybe the surrounding soil/gravel was taken out by previous cars. Given that the rock didn't move and tore the sump guard clean off it was in there pretty well.
That's a fair point, maybe I was seeing a conspiracy where there wasn't one. I take it all back.

Regarding Latvala's moment, apparently, he was relieved of several thousands of Euros and given a suspended one rally ban. Completely escaped me as I don't really check the usual sites anymore for news.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3611510)   #66
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Saw a rumor on Twitter by Polish Powrót Roberta that Kubica could do 8 European WRC rounds with Lotos and Pirelli as backers. I wonder what made the luck turn around sponsorwise if this turns out to be true
Old 4 Feb 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3611511)   #67
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Saw a rumor on Twitter by Polish Powrót Roberta that Kubica could do 8 European WRC rounds with Lotos and Pirelli as backers.
Good news if it turns out to be true - Kubica is good for the championship.

Quote:
I wonder what made the luck turn around sponsorwise if this turns out to be true
It certainly wasn't his performance on the Monte!
Old 4 Feb 2016, 12:35 (Ref:3611536)   #68
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Haha, got to agree

I've read somewhere that because of his accident in 2011 he has some problems with his right arm and because of that he has problems handling the steering wheel. That's also why he has has the paddle on the left. Don't know if it is true though.

It seems sad at first but on a second thought how much of a hinder can it be when he keeps coming back for more, despite crashing out all the time? He either got to really, really love rallying so much that he dosen't let himself be hindered by his injury or maybe he is not hindered by his arm and just happens to be unable to stay on the road. He must have reflected sometimes on why he keeps crashing out because he seems very motivated about rallying and to keep going in the WRC.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3611546)   #69
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More 2017 news than 2016, but Toyota are supposedly chasing Solberg and Loeb:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.p...lberg-for-2017
Old 4 Feb 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3611568)   #70
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
More 2017 news than 2016, but Toyota are supposedly chasing Solberg and Loeb:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.p...lberg-for-2017
Reading the article it looks like they've spoken to Solberg but not Loeb (but not ruled him out as an option). I'm not sure Loeb would do it, Solberg would be more likely but I'd expect that depends on what's going on in Rallycross - if Solberg can get a manufacturer supported program in Rallycross (which seems to be what he's pushing for) would he do WRC? Hirvonen is doing some of the Toyota testing so would they use him if they couldn't get Solberg/Loeb?
Old 4 Feb 2016, 14:17 (Ref:3611576)   #71
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Reading the article it looks like they've spoken to Solberg but not Loeb (but not ruled him out as an option). I'm not sure Loeb would do it, Solberg would be more likely but I'd expect that depends on what's going on in Rallycross - if Solberg can get a manufacturer supported program in Rallycross (which seems to be what he's pushing for) would he do WRC? Hirvonen is doing some of the Toyota testing so would they use him if they couldn't get Solberg/Loeb?
Yeah, the comment(s) concerning Loeb do seem pretty vague, don't they?

Have to be honest and say I'm on the fence about Solberg going back to WRC: as great as it would be to see him rallying again, he has been one of the best things to happen to rallycross in the last few years (in my personal opinion) and it would be a huge shame to lose him.

I also worry that his time in WRC has passed: would hate to see him go back and be stuck at the back of the pack (in a car/team that really isn't inspiring much confidence thus far).
Old 4 Feb 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3611580)   #72
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I also worry that his time in WRC has passed: would hate to see him go back and be stuck at the back of the pack (in a car/team that really isn't inspiring much confidence thus far).
Agreed - I think a WRC return for either Solberg or Loeb would be a bad idea.
Old 4 Feb 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3611633)   #73
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think would drop rallycross like a hat if he were offered a drive in WRC, he is funding most of his rallycross career remember!

Loeb I doubt very much, unless they offer him insane money, and I am rather worried they are looking at past it guys like this, Solberg hadn't won a WRC event for years when he quit and Loeb has been out the loop.

Far more likely is perhaps a year out testing the Toyora WRC, then praps coming in for the odd event and doing a WRX campaign for them with manufacturer support which is what he has always wanted.

I hope not, as that woudl push the sport ever further away from owner drivers
Old 5 Feb 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3612004)   #74
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Toyota are really looking at the future, aren't they? It screams of desparation from Tommi....
The same old names bandied about. Have they enquired about Mikkola or Blomqvist yet......

Until I see the car on the start line at Monte next year, I have reservations about this programme.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 11:33 (Ref:3613342)   #75
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Looks like the warm weather has played havoc with the plans for Sweden - stages scrapped, others limited on number of passes. Shame, the Swedish round is one of my favourites but I guess if the ground isn't frozen then there's not much that can be done other than cancel stages. Hopefully the temperature drops and we get some more snow before the rally.