Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jan 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3605890)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Summer Classic

This event includes a new Spa 3hrs classic race, to which Iberian Historic Endurance racers are also invited
Old 28 Jan 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3608673)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Info on the 3hr race has been released. Link to the webpage-

http://www.spasummerclassic.com/invitation
Old 28 Jan 2016, 21:11 (Ref:3608841)   #3
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks interesting. Might be up for that
Old 23 Feb 2016, 10:06 (Ref:3616977)   #4
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This 3 Hour race adds a hugely attractive new dimension to the Spa Summer Classic meeting.

Crosslé Racing Drivers’ Club will be there in strength for the Ardennes Challenge races, which always field an eclectic grid of sports, sports racing and GT cars. It’s the first European round of the Crosslé 9S Challenge and we have historically done very well at this meeting. With eleven 9S entries already received and 3 guest racers joining us, I anticipate a strong showing from our group. In addition to the main awards, CRDC members will again race for our Perpetual Challenge Cup. A Magnum of Champagne will be awarded to the 9S driver who beats the previous fastest lap of 2.41.543 set by Andy Feigenwinter in 2011.

Owners of cars eligible to compete in the Spa Ardennes Challenge can book via Crosslé Racing Drivers’ Club. Race entry forms are available to download on our website:www.crossle-rdc.com

Entry fee is €750 or £575 for 30 mins qualifying and 2 x 40 mins races.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3617621)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'm planning on doing the three hours but right now I don't have a co driver because it clashes with the Festival of Speed.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 09:52 (Ref:3617628)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to do that as well but I may just do the Ardennes challenge instead in the Cortina, its a lot simpler!
Old 25 Feb 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3617770)   #7
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Entry in and accepted
Old 28 Feb 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3618333)   #8
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fancy doing the 3 hours as we are already there.

Not so keen on the idea of mixing it with pre 65 sportscars and pre 76 GTPs where speed and grip levels will be massively better. 917 v MGB on Dunlops....?
Old 28 Feb 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3618391)   #9
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read the regs on the official site I thought it was FIA cars only so dismissed it but was informed yesterday that wasn't the case so re-read the regs and was surprised to discover that other cars and tyres were acceptable. However, I too don't like the idea of mixing Dunlop shod and modern tyre shod cars. Hmm
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3618655)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errr,aren't Barry's races allowed different tyre types?
Old 29 Feb 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3618686)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
From memory, yes..

The 3hr tyre regs for pre 66 entries are same as 6hr, but would not be logical to expect a 1976 car to run Ls. Only alternative would be for them to use ZZs, but guess the Iberian Historic Endurance competitors will be using Yoko or Toyo in their home series, so the regs are perhaps to encourage them to travel from Portugal and Spain?
Old 29 Feb 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3618691)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Got the regs for the Iberian Historic Endurance Series here:

Tyres:

Without exception the only tyres allowed are:

Dunlopp Racing M or L or CR65 spec.
Avon CR6ZZ
Toyo Tyres R888 GG.

All cars unless invited, must have an HTP or be in a condition which would facilitate the issue of an HTP.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3618695)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Errr,aren't Barry's races allowed different tyre types?
Yes, must be treaded and E marked.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3618702)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I'm planning on doing the three hours but right now I don't have a co driver because it clashes with the Festival of Speed.
Depends on how much you're willing to pay !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3618792)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Tyres:

Avon CR6ZZ
Toyo Tyres R888 GG.
That's the answer then. Tyre regs written in order to incorporate the IHE cars.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3618801)   #16
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legendary Circuit Series are also running in the 3hr and their regs state " NO need a FIA ‘Vehicle Identification Form’, ‘Historical Technical Passport’ or ‘Heritage Certificate’ for your car.

And - "Wheels and/or tyres are free [no slicks], but must fit the body."

http://legendary-circuits.eu/spa-3-hours/
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3618806)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that is correct.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 02:31 (Ref:3623486)   #18
Diogo Ferrao
Rookie

Diogo Ferrao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 3 Hours

Quote:

Tyres:

Avon CR6ZZ
Toyo Tyres R888 GG.
All cars unless invited, must have an HTP or be in a condition which would facilitate the issue of an HTP.

Hi all,
I'm a long time reader from Ten Tenths, don't reply so much as I don't have a lot to say. Altought, is a great way to hear the matters of the moment from Historic Racing, specially when you leave in Portugal!

About this subject, I believe I can give you a few more information regarding the Spa 3 Hours event. I organize the Iberian Historic Endurance and I am very excited to be co-organizing with Roadbook the 3 hours.

As you know, the Six Hours at the beggining allowed 70's cars and the first ideia of the SPA 3 Hours was to still give a race for this cars to race. Furthermore, also allowing cars that just want to do 3 Hours and not doing the full six hours, with shorter stints, less money etc etc. So me and Vicent got in touch and I can provide a dream to many Portuguese and Spanish to drive in Spa.
I would love to share a few thoughts and ideias with you after a few years organizing. I'm sure some of your comments will be very interesting.

In our part south part of the world, for different reasons there is a lot more 70's cars and a lot less 60's cars. As we don't have a lot of cars, we had to find a way that the 60's cars can be competitive with the 70's, so speed could be match.

After 5 years, it is still a work in progress but a lot easy than could be imagine. The main reason is simple:

1. The major difference of speed from 1965 and latter cars are only regarding tyres!
2. We allow 1965 GTP cars and 1965 Sports Cars under 2.000cc only allowing Group 2 and 4 in the more modern specs.
3. The race preparation in 1965 cars is a lot better them 1970's cars, because there aren't so competitive championships.
4. Some regulations at the Appendix J after 1965 quite limited the performance.
5. Last but not the least, I limited engine performance and tyres witch in some 70's models (Not applied to SPA this year).

So, our reference of a winning cars are the Ford GT40 MK1. However a full RSR with Post Historic Dunlop can give them a run for they money. After the front runners, there is a new and huge potential of new and different machines racing. BMW 2002, Alfa GTAm, Datsun 1600 SSS, Capris etc etc

Some of the members before rightly asked important questions regarding more modern tyres been allowed, that not only in overal speed but also apex cornering can make a big difference.
The Toyos R888 2G that we allow and the Yokohamas (a request from the Frenchs drivers) are only allowed in the Pre-1976 Category as per FIA rules as they too low to be allowed in Pre-1971. The remaining need to run on Dunlop or Avon. Even thought, for our experience, a Dunlop Post-Historic is not so slow cornering compared with a Toyo.

A lot can be said about tyres, but when I have drivers with 6 to 12 seconds different in the same car in SPA, with drivers sometimes forgetting to get to the grid because they were chatting with each other..., I remember our own spirit is "Relax Historic Racing"
So, the most important thing is drivers consider the rules are more or less fair, so they enjoy and a great weekend fighting a Saab Sonnet III, a Lotus Elan and a BMW 2002.
That don't mean they will accept "cheating cars" or any rules that makes the racing unfair. They just have a more relaxed approched to motor racing

This last paragraph is the most important. We don't want to be a serious and world-class organization. For drivers looking being the best and fighting against the worlds best teams and cars, there are very competitive championships even in Historic racing (Peter Auto, Master) to race. Even the Spa 6 Hours race is now a very competitive race!

This SPA 3 Hours is more for a team of friends that want to spend a great race weekend in the best track in the world racing the best them can, during an into the dust race with fuel stops, drivers changes etc etc. Hopefully the car will end the race and all the team can have a celebration late supper discussing all the moments a long distance race always create.

Sorry my bad English and hope I could express the race concept in a easy to understand way.

See you soon.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 07:19 (Ref:3623520)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hi Diogo

Thanks for joining in on the thread! Having watched your series develop in Portugal and Spain, I admire what you have achieved to date, and hope you all enjoy the opportunity to race at Spa- it's a long trip for you all!

Maybe the right way to look at this 3 hr race is as a longer version of the event we call 'Barry's race' (British & European Sports, GT and Saloon challenge) rather than half the (serious) September 6 hr.

Hope to see you at Jarama in two weeks, perhaps if you've got time we can discuss Portimao paddock access this October...... (Only joking )
Old 18 Mar 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3623918)   #20
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
...perhaps if you've got time we can discuss Portimao paddock access this October
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 30 Mar 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3628590)   #21
Diogo Ferrao
Rookie

Diogo Ferrao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hi Diogo

Thanks for joining in on the thread! Having watched your series develop in Portugal and Spain, I admire what you have achieved to date, and hope you all enjoy the opportunity to race at Spa- it's a long trip for you all!

Maybe the right way to look at this 3 hr race is as a longer version of the event we call 'Barry's race' (British & European Sports, GT and Saloon challenge) rather than half the (serious) September 6 hr.

Hope to see you at Jarama in two weeks, perhaps if you've got time we can discuss Portimao paddock access this October...... (Only joking )

Hi Mike,

Please pay us a visit during the weekend. In our hospitality in Jarama we should have a guy making Rum cocktails(after races) thanks to our Cuban Watch sponsor

It is great to listen to Drivers opinions, as we cannot know everything.

Kind regards
Old 8 Jun 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3648289)   #22
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Provisional entry list published today and it looks like a good grid. I can see a couple of Ten Tenthers have entered in addition me.
Old 8 Jun 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3648326)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did you see after Qualy on Friday. Deserts until 10.00 .I shall have some of that,thank you.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 06:37 (Ref:3648380)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
If anyone can provide a link to the entry list- or indeed deserts menu, please post!

Reading the 'log book' for the event, I see a new system (to me) for getting into the circuit is in place. Entrants will be emailed a PDF 'Authorised access pass' that has to be handed to the gate guardian on arrival. They will then decide the correct sticker for your vehicle, and fix to your screen. Seems a good idea in order to keep unnecessary vehicles out of the paddock, but can't help feeling it will lead to queues at the gates! Hope I'm wrong......
Old 9 Jun 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3648522)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Entry list received this morning! Quite a lot of '6hr' people and cars entered-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPA Provisional entry List 7_06_2016.pdf (627.9 KB, 44 views)