Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2321059)   #26
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I think too many F1 fans only look at what a driver does on 17 or so Sunday afternoons a season.
That's the bottom line surely? I'd prefer to watch 20 Alonso's, Hamilton's etc. and sod what else they do than 20 DC's who'll also honour sponsorship commitments.

I hope you don't think DC was out in Argentina because he thought it was a good idea - he was there at the behest of Red Bull no doubt.

Let's be clear - F1 drivers to a man only do these fan events because they have to, not because they want or choose to.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2321062)   #27
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
That's the bottom line surely? I'd prefer to watch 20 Alonso's, Hamilton's etc. and sod what else they do than 20 DC's who'll also honour sponsorship commitments.
Well obviously it's fairly important...

But given the hypothetical choice of a DC, who's a solid race performer and helps the team in so many ways all week and all year, and a driver who might be quicker than DC in the race, might even beat him if they don't crash, but who's useless at developing the car and helping the team, then the likes of Ron and Sir Frank would always choose DC.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2321064)   #28
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
P.S. You probably didn't choose the best examples there... Alonso is arguably the best out there at developing the car, and Hamilton rivals David Beckham when it comes to publicity and sponsorship commitments...

Besides, those two - plus a handful of others - are clearly a league ahead of the feld and I'm not suggesting DC was ever that good.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2321072)   #29
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Well obviously it's fairly important...

But given the hypothetical choice of a DC, who's a solid race performer and helps the team in so many ways all week and all year, and a driver who might be quicker than DC in the race, might even beat him if they don't crash, but who's useless at developing the car and helping the team, then the likes of Ron and Sir Frank would always choose DC.
That's a gross simplification though. There are, and have been, many drivers who could have done as well if not better than Coulthard. We won't know as they hadn't the same opportunities.

I'm afraid to say that Coulthard was gifted some great drives. He went from test driver to race driver at Williams in 1994 [as a result of Senna's tragic death], a year when that car should have won the world championship. I'm sorry but it would be wrong to say that was earned on merit alone. It was circumstance that had him there. At McLaren, he was unable to take it to Mika Hakkinen in a car that was predominantly superior to the Ferrari of the day and he also struggled against Kimi. Let's not forget, Ron let his drivers fight it out until one got the upper hand over a year. In 9 years at McLaren, Coulthard never got the upper hand.

He had more chances than anyone in recent years to win a WDC and didn't manage it. That's not to say he isn't a good driver. Of course he is. But his career is a good example of the clear delineation between good and great.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2321089)   #30
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Davy, I don't think you'll see anyone here argue that DC was a great driver. But he was a solid performer and a good team man. Something obviously appreciated by the teams he's been in.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2321108)   #31
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh for sure he was... and a decent bloke to boot.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2321408)   #32
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i think the other thing to keep in mind, with regards to his stint at RBR, is that he never really proved to himself what he could do in mediocre machinery, such as what Alonso did in a minardi (and an emerging renault), what schumacher did in a jordan (and an emerging benetton)... etc... So his career was sort of in reverse.

As has been duly mentioned, he landed in a top ride right from day 1, and so never got to test himself in the real battleground of the midfield. But, as it turned out, he seemed to match the mediocre machinery with generally mediocre race driving.

How much he contribute to the development of the RBR also has to be considered, and the proof is in he package, which has undoubtedly improved in his time there.

However, his years at Mclaren were really pretty good. I never considered him quite good enough to win a WDC, but not that many drivers are capable. So, i think he very much earned his years there. He was the ideal rear gunner for the more talented hakkinen, but was already starting to fade when he partnered kimi. However, a driver simply doesnt last 9 years with a top outfit like Mclaren if they didnt think he was pulling his weight, so full credit to him for that.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2321542)   #33
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I can understand that, but it is frustrating when drivers won't try some other category as well. As if F1 is the sole reason to compete in racing.
Its may not be the sole reason, but once you have driven an F1 car, why would you want to drive anything less? I exclude top spec Le Mans type cars, as they are a sort of F1 sportcars equivilent - worth driving in their own right. About the only thing an ex-F1 driver may be interested in?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2321582)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely racing anything is enjoyable though?

I am not a racer though, so I must be completely missing the point.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2321586)   #35
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Its may not be the sole reason, but once you have driven an F1 car, why would you want to drive anything less? I exclude top spec Le Mans type cars, as they are a sort of F1 sportcars equivilent - worth driving in their own right. About the only thing an ex-F1 driver may be interested in?
Like Knowlsey, I've always wondered why guys retire their 30's and don't drive again. Surely for the love of why one got interested in racing in the first place, why not keep racing? Without the pressures on and off the track of F1 and with no financial worries, why not race for the sheer fun of it? There are plenty of cars that would be fun to drive - DTM, Sportscars, GT's, Aussie V8's, Hillclimbing in the big F1 engined single seaters etc.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2321617)   #36
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Surely racing anything is enjoyable though?
Correct, if you like racing enough you couldn't care what you race Whether it even be a hovercraft.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2321691)   #37
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC could beat anyone on his day.
I'm sorry to see him hang up the St Andrew's cross helmet, but the time has come.
A real gentleman and best wishes to him and his.

Cheers
Peter
Old 27 Oct 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2321755)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
From reading his book, I got the impression that he wants a family more than anything else, and that his F1 career has always got in the way.

I understand that his girlfriend Karen is soon to give birth to their first child together, so I hope they'll be very happy.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2322001)   #39
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think a lot of drivers would love to retire having had a career like Coulthard's - he's achieved a lot more than most, after all. But there will always be a "but" with him - he did very well BUT he had the equipment to achieve so much more. His two crucial mistakes were letting Hakkinen through at Jerez in 97, then doing it again in Australia in 98. In 1997 he was the one winning the races for McLaren, put from the moment he pulled over in Australia there was only ever going to be one driver leading the team. A wasted opportunity, sadly.

One thing that struck me about Coulthard was how quick he was to complain after leaving McLaren. I don't think anybody doubted that Hakkinen was Ron Dennis's favourite, just as Hamilton is now, but Coulthard seemed happy enough to drive around being outperformed and collecting his pay cheque for all those years. Whinging about it later made him look like a hypocrite.

Like many others, he's hung on for one season too long, which is a shame - it's been a bit embarrassing at times this year. But good luck to him, I hope he enjoys his retirement and his impending fatherhood.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2322008)   #40
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am not sure they were "mistakes". Had he decided to disobey, well, I don't think he would've been in the Mclaren for that much longer.

On the topic of driving-after-F1, I might write to him and see if he fancies doing some motocross and 1/4-mile dirt oval racing on the two tracks near me. He will surely respond to such compelling arguments as "go on!", "you owe me", "Mika did, and he said he was better than you would be at it", "yer Maw!", and such? This suggestion is as good as good as taken on. Come to think of it, where's my hand?
Old 27 Oct 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2322053)   #41
markpde
Rookie

European Union
Ayr, Scotland
markpde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I'd ever met DC, I would have suggested that he should follow the example of a German WWI fighter pilot called Kempf, who had the words, "Kennscht mi noch?" ("Don't you know me?"), painted on the middle wing of his Fokker Triplane - and applied these words (sponsors permitting, of course) to the trim tab of his rear wing, facing rearwards. It would have riled the hell out of Schuey - better than the finger any day!
Old 27 Oct 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2322068)   #42
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
not quite,alain prost races for fun in the andros trophy ice races along with a few others and that seems to be fun and they all chat to the fans too.
i dought you will get micheal schumaker down at ringwood in a banger thou..
Old 27 Oct 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2322085)   #43
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Michael races in the german sportsbike cup now i think
Old 28 Oct 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2322280)   #44
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
He's certainly done some bike races. He's not been half bad at it, either, from what I've made out.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2322336)   #45
davyboy
Veteran

Schumacher's gone and done some karting events as well and he's been pretty good at that too. In fact Nigel Mansell was back racing a Rotax Max at Dunkeswell [aka Mansell Raceway] a couple of months ago too.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2322353)   #46
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
In fact Nigel Mansell was back racing a Rotax Max at Dunkeswell [aka Mansell Raceway] a couple of months ago too.
That must have been one big kart...
Old 28 Oct 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2322467)   #47
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solid career, good driver, charmin man. Ciao David, bravo!
Old 28 Oct 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2322713)   #48
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
That must have been one big kart...
To be honest he wasn't as big as I thought he'd be... and he was pretty fast as well ! He was in the porker class though
Old 28 Oct 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2322717)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
But his career is a good example of the clear delineation between good and great.
Make that very good and great and I'd agree with you.

But I think the fact that he brought something extra to the party is also important. Personally I think he's timed his retirement about right. I shall be interested to see who eventually takes his place in the Red Bull family.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2324403)   #50
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember flicking though the channels one day when I was about seven or eight years old. I came across a channel which had these cool cars on it. They weren't as cool as Herbie, mind you, but cool none the less. My Mum was in the room at the time. She seemed to recognise someone on the TV. She phoned my Aunt (Linda)...

"Linda, what was the name of that wee boy Graham (my cousin) used to race against? David... David Coulthard was it? Have a look on the BBC, I think he's on telly right now!"

I didn't know it at the time, but my cousin used to race in various kart races across Scotland. While he went on to do other things with his life, and one of his karting mates had apparently made a career of racing cars! The event in question was the 1994 British Grand Prix. From that day onwards, I was hooked on F1, and David was my hero. It was my first F1 race ever, and only a few F1 races into David's career.

14 years later, here we are. David's last race. He's still been one of my heroes, even after all this time. Even when it got rough. That collision with the pit wall in Australia. That collision with Schumi. Moving over for Mika. Getting stuck behind Bernoldi. Most races of this season. That plane crash...

I remember the good times though. The first win in Portugal! That was a great race. Still got it on an ancient VHS somewhere. The first win for McLaren. Got that one on a VHS too. The many other great wins for McLaren - France, Spa, Silverstone, Monaco... the two podiums for Red Bull and the tears of joy the brought me.

It's been a bit tough being a DC fan all this time. Especially with no championship to his name. We'll both learn to live with that though. Indeed, I think he'll get over it before I will. The good times, though, I wouldn't swap for anything. So thanks David, it's been fun. See you at Wembley?

David has a special livery for this race by the way, supporting the Wings for Life charity which he is now an ambassador of.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 30 Oct 2008 at 20:10.