Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Oct 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3772115)   #176
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It clarifies that Stroll didn't turn out into Vettel, however his turn angle on the wheel indicates that whilst he did in fact turn into the corner, he was intending to drift wide away from the apex, although as explained not as much as the camera on Grosjean's car first suggested.

My conclusion remains much as I had it before. Vettel should have given more room, and Stroll should have been more aware of where other cars were as he drifted out.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a new measure that on taking the checkered flag, cars must slow from racing speed and return to pits under VSC conditions of maintained slow speed and no overtaking..
Old 5 Oct 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3772139)   #177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
It clarifies that Stroll didn't turn out into Vettel, however his turn angle on the wheel indicates that whilst he did in fact turn into the corner, he was intending to drift wide away from the apex, although as explained not as much as the camera on Grosjean's car first suggested.

My conclusion remains much as I had it before. Vettel should have given more room, and Stroll should have been more aware of where other cars were as he drifted out.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a new measure that on taking the checkered flag, cars must slow from racing speed and return to pits under VSC conditions of maintained slow speed and no overtaking..
Agree. Especially as this may trigger some "clarification" as to what drivers should be doing once they have taken the checkered flag.

Richard
Old 5 Oct 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3772144)   #178
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

That's an excellent summary of the situation.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3772260)   #179
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Does this clip change anyone's mind about the Stroll / Vettel incident?
No. As before, I believed it was 95% Vettel's fault. Almost looked deliberate. The speed difference!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMgk8UnqWE

There's a WILD story going around in the Japanese paddock.

Ferrari had short filled Vettel for the race (which was confirmed by Ferrari during the race). In his efforts to get to the front, and being pushed by the team to do so (Ferrari had told SV numerous times to "attack", "keep pushing"), SV had used up a lot of fuel. When Ferrari realised they might be in trouble, they asked SV to back off completely (there's was radio on this). But too late, SV's fuel gauge showed he had less than one litre left.
Then bang! Car is now too badly damaged to go to post race scrutineering. Then SV takes steering wheel with him (which is not allowed) to make sure fuel gauge cannot be read, and that the car will now have to come directly to the garage.

Crazy story indeed!! Too risky to pull of without possible further ramifications. But apparently a team (or two) have had a little word in the ear of the FiA about it. No investigation at this stage, and I highly doubt there will ever be one. Water under the bridge as far as the FiA is concerned. Nothing they can do about it now anyway!

Maybe the rules will be changed for the future where when a car that has crossed the finish line, but is then damaged beyond a drivable condition (how often does that happen??), it has to be returned to parc ferme first just as all the other driveable cars must do? If not, no points will be awarded.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3772289)   #180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So they obviously risked gearbox damage to save some fuel for the post race checks? What a load of pony
Old 6 Oct 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3772320)   #181
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It certainly sounds as far-fetched a conspiracy theory as I've heard for a long time......
Old 6 Oct 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3772331)   #182
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
By paddock, I assume that's the name for a Facebook group, as that's a bit too crazy for anyone to seriously suggest.

My understanding is that a car will still be taken through scrutineering in whatever state possible. Fine you cannot check ride heights, but you can check fuel, engine and gearbox seals, oil levels, etc.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 20:44 (Ref:3772359)   #183
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It certainly sounds as far-fetched a conspiracy theory as I've heard for a long time......
It's nearly as far fetched as suggesting, Raikonnen was actually driving Vettel's car, which is why it was 'retired' before the race started.
Old 7 Oct 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3772787)   #184
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Vettel's gearbox was in fact damaged after the shunt in Malaysia. But the complicated FiA rules meant that he's gearbox was pulled apart, repaired and put back in the car, but did not incur a penalty.

The rules are so complicated that many teams have (surprisingly) not understood them fully, and taken gearbox penalties when they "could have" or "possibly" have avoided them. Is it a case of teams not understanding the rules fully (I'd be very surprised if so), or Ferrari understand the rules better (I'd be very surprised if so) than the other teams??

A very brief explanation of the situation with Kravitz and Whiting on SkyF1 below.

https://youtu.be/mXbrXCoEDis?t=13m20s

TK: "Did you take a fuel sample from Seb's car?"
CH: "I can't say."

Hmmm...

Long may it continue indeed!

Last edited by F1Guy; 8 Oct 2017 at 00:07. Reason: more info
Old 8 Oct 2017, 05:04 (Ref:3772880)   #185
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Vettel's gearbox was in fact damaged after the shunt in Malaysia. But the complicated FiA rules meant that he's gearbox was pulled apart, repaired and put back in the car, but did not incur a penalty.

The rules are so complicated that many teams have (surprisingly) not understood them fully, and taken gearbox penalties when they "could have" or "possibly" have avoided them. Is it a case of teams not understanding the rules fully (I'd be very surprised if so), or Ferrari understand the rules better (I'd be very surprised if so) than the other teams??

A very brief explanation of the situation with Kravitz and Whiting on SkyF1 below.

https://youtu.be/mXbrXCoEDis?t=13m20s

TK: "Did you take a fuel sample from Seb's car?"
CH: "I can't say."

Hmmm...

Long may it continue indeed!
http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/14911/sebastian-vettels-gearbox-undamaged-in-post-race-malaysia-crash

'Ferrari announced that his car's gearbox was undamaged'
Old 8 Oct 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3772905)   #186
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The gearbox casing was damaged, cracked with pieces missing even. As was confirmed by Ferrari on the Italian coverage live on air in Japan(and also SkyF1's Ted Kravitz in that video link above @3:35sec).

But the complicated FiA rules only take into consideration the gearbox cassette. As was explained by Charlie in that video link I posted. It's a very technical situation that maybe Ferrari has an advantage with the design of their so called "gearbox".

Where as maybe with some of the other teams gearbox designs, if they find only the gearbox casing is cracked, the entire gearbox unit has to be changed as it is linked with items or some other reason??

Or.., maybe, just maybe the FiA were (desperately) doing their best to keep the championship alive?? It's not like they have not done it before now is it? They have form twisting the rules when it suits their own objectives.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3772908)   #187
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Or.., maybe, just maybe the FiA were (desperately) doing their best to keep the championship alive?? It's not like they have not done it before now is it? They have form twisting the rules when it suits their own objectives.
In that video they also talk about some people having very wild imaginations.